Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-14-10, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The book is "Lost Souls" by Lena Herzog

The outside of the package had my name and address.

The invoice on the inside, for both the billing and shipping address, had the name and address of someone (a medical doctor) whom I've never met, who lives in another state.

I called amazon's customer service. The first person put me on hold and never came back. I hung up and called again, and that new person wanted me to trudge to the post office in the snow and it's 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I think not!

So now my garbage can has a torn up book of photographs of dead fetuses. I really wish they hadn't sent that to me.
Old 12-14-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

yikes.....
Old 12-14-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

You should have called the Post Office and filed a complaint.
Old 12-14-10, 05:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Meanwhile, some doctor is opening up a box containing "Big Book of Polls" and wondering "WTF?"
Old 12-14-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Rather than leaving the book in your trash can, you should set it on fire and use it to stay warm.
Old 12-14-10, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ernestrp
You should have called the Post Office and filed a complaint.
It was delivered by UPS.

Funny how whenever I order something from amazon, they use that horrible Prestige shipping company. But when I don't order something, they use wonderful UPS!
Old 12-14-10, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Meanwhile, some doctor is opening up a box containing "Big Book of Polls" and wondering "WTF?"
Actually, I did order a pair of shoes. I wonder if they are being sent to the doctor.
Old 12-14-10, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Rather than leaving the book in your trash can, you should set it on fire and use it to stay warm.
It is warm inside!
Old 12-14-10, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 750 Likes on 494 Posts

You took the time to tear up the book?
Old 12-14-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I drew your name in the Otter Secret Santa. You're not exactly the easiest to shop for.
Old 12-14-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
The book is "Lost Souls" by Lena Herzog

The outside of the package had my name and address.

The invoice on the inside, for both the billing and shipping address, had the name and address of someone (a medical doctor) whom I've never met, who lives in another state.

I called amazon's customer service. The first person put me on hold and never came back. I hung up and called again, and that new person wanted me to trudge to the post office in the snow and it's 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I think not!

So now my garbage can has a torn up book of photographs of dead fetuses. I really wish they hadn't sent that to me.
I'd be pissed if my order went to someone else and they either kept it or threw it away. I've always made an effort to either return it to the sender or contact the person that was supposed to get it.

I'm an ass about some things but I don't fuck with people's mail since I wouldn't want mine fucked with.
Old 12-14-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he threw it out because the pictures in the book disturbed him. In any case, I can understand being upset. I once had the same thing happen to me with a Barnes and Noble order. The invoice inside (name, address, and item) was different than what I had ordered. I got a copy of Dear John on paperback instead of The Story of Adele H. by Truffaut on DVD. Needless to say, I contacted B&N and they fixed my order.

At the time I wondered if the person who ordered Dear John got my movie. I hope that if they did, they watched it, and that their taste improved by doing so. I honestly thought that particular switch happening was hilarious (if irritating as a customer).
Old 12-15-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Seriously.
Old 12-15-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

The same thing happened to me when I ordered the dvd of Gone Baby Gone.
Old 12-15-10, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
Only the pictures of the dead fetuses. They were scary!
Old 12-15-10, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd be pissed if my order went to someone else and they either kept it or threw it away. I've always made an effort to either return it to the sender or contact the person that was supposed to get it.

I'm an ass about some things but I don't fuck with people's mail since I wouldn't want mine fucked with.
When I made the second call to amazon, I asked them to overnight another copy to the real buyer, and they said they would do it. It's amazon's fault, and amazon's loss. I'm not trudging to the post office in subfreezing, hazardous weather just to fix their mistake.

I live in an apartment building. I frequently deliver packages to people's apartments when I see them sitting in the main hallway.

Last edited by grundle; 12-15-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GenPion
I think he threw it out because the pictures in the book disturbed him. In any case, I can understand being upset. I once had the same thing happen to me with a Barnes and Noble order. The invoice inside (name, address, and item) was different than what I had ordered. I got a copy of Dear John on paperback instead of The Story of Adele H. by Truffaut on DVD. Needless to say, I contacted B&N and they fixed my order.

At the time I wondered if the person who ordered Dear John got my movie. I hope that if they did, they watched it, and that their taste improved by doing so. I honestly thought that particular switch happening was hilarious (if irritating as a customer).
Also, if amazon had been willing to pick it up from me, I would have returned it. That's why I called them in the first place.
Old 12-15-10, 11:48 AM
Banned

Actually, I did order a pair of shoes. I wonder if they are being sent to the doctor.
My shoes arrived at my place today, and on time too. Perhaps Prestige is improving.

Obviously, there was no switcheroo between two different shipping labels, which was the only explanation that I could think of for why amazon sent me the book.
Old 12-15-10, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quatermass
The same thing happened to me when I ordered the dvd of Gone Baby Gone.
Heh heh.
Old 12-15-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts

Also, if amazon had been willing to pick it up from me, I would have returned it. That's why I called them in the first place.
You could've requested a UPS label to be sent to you via email and then you could've scheduled a UPS pickup delivery yourself.
Old 12-15-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I made the second call to amazon, I asked them to overnight another copy to the real buyer, and they said they would do it. It's amazon's fault, and amazon's loss. I'm not trudging to the post office in subfreezing, hazardous weather just to fix their mistake.
Ripping apart and throwing away something meant for something else. Truly the Christmas spirit.

Originally Posted by Deftones
You could've requested a UPS label to be sent to you via email and then you could've scheduled a UPS pickup delivery yourself.
All without getting up from the couch.
Old 12-15-10, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't have a printer.
Old 12-15-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The book in question

Old 12-15-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a pretty interesting book. And who doesn't own a printer? They usually throw those in for free when you buy the computer.
Old 12-18-10, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Sorry, I drew your name in the Otter Secret Santa. You're not exactly the easiest to shop for.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read on DVD Talk!

Kudos, WallyOPD!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.