Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Old 12-14-10, 04:49 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

The book is "Lost Souls" by Lena Herzog

The outside of the package had my name and address.

The invoice on the inside, for both the billing and shipping address, had the name and address of someone (a medical doctor) whom I've never met, who lives in another state.

I called amazon's customer service. The first person put me on hold and never came back. I hung up and called again, and that new person wanted me to trudge to the post office in the snow and it's 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I think not!

So now my garbage can has a torn up book of photographs of dead fetuses. I really wish they hadn't sent that to me.
Old 12-14-10, 04:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
xfilekr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 1,891
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

yikes.....
Old 12-14-10, 05:01 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,459
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

You should have called the Post Office and filed a complaint.
Old 12-14-10, 05:02 PM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Meanwhile, some doctor is opening up a box containing "Big Book of Polls" and wondering "WTF?"
Old 12-14-10, 05:13 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,722
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Rather than leaving the book in your trash can, you should set it on fire and use it to stay warm.
Old 12-14-10, 05:35 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by ernestrp
You should have called the Post Office and filed a complaint.
It was delivered by UPS.

Funny how whenever I order something from amazon, they use that horrible Prestige shipping company. But when I don't order something, they use wonderful UPS!
Old 12-14-10, 05:35 PM
  #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Meanwhile, some doctor is opening up a box containing "Big Book of Polls" and wondering "WTF?"
Actually, I did order a pair of shoes. I wonder if they are being sent to the doctor.
Old 12-14-10, 05:36 PM
  #8  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Rather than leaving the book in your trash can, you should set it on fire and use it to stay warm.
It is warm inside!
Old 12-14-10, 05:36 PM
  #9  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,793
Received 750 Likes on 494 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

You took the time to tear up the book?
Old 12-14-10, 05:55 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,020
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Sorry, I drew your name in the Otter Secret Santa. You're not exactly the easiest to shop for.
Old 12-14-10, 07:22 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by grundle
The book is "Lost Souls" by Lena Herzog

The outside of the package had my name and address.

The invoice on the inside, for both the billing and shipping address, had the name and address of someone (a medical doctor) whom I've never met, who lives in another state.

I called amazon's customer service. The first person put me on hold and never came back. I hung up and called again, and that new person wanted me to trudge to the post office in the snow and it's 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I think not!

So now my garbage can has a torn up book of photographs of dead fetuses. I really wish they hadn't sent that to me.
I'd be pissed if my order went to someone else and they either kept it or threw it away. I've always made an effort to either return it to the sender or contact the person that was supposed to get it.

I'm an ass about some things but I don't fuck with people's mail since I wouldn't want mine fucked with.
Old 12-14-10, 07:52 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,665
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

I think he threw it out because the pictures in the book disturbed him. In any case, I can understand being upset. I once had the same thing happen to me with a Barnes and Noble order. The invoice inside (name, address, and item) was different than what I had ordered. I got a copy of Dear John on paperback instead of The Story of Adele H. by Truffaut on DVD. Needless to say, I contacted B&N and they fixed my order.

At the time I wondered if the person who ordered Dear John got my movie. I hope that if they did, they watched it, and that their taste improved by doing so. I honestly thought that particular switch happening was hilarious (if irritating as a customer).
Old 12-15-10, 01:21 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by The Cow
You took the time to tear up the book?
Seriously.
Old 12-15-10, 10:21 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,478
Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

The same thing happened to me when I ordered the dvd of Gone Baby Gone.
Old 12-15-10, 11:42 AM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by The Cow
You took the time to tear up the book?
Only the pictures of the dead fetuses. They were scary!
Old 12-15-10, 11:44 AM
  #16  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd be pissed if my order went to someone else and they either kept it or threw it away. I've always made an effort to either return it to the sender or contact the person that was supposed to get it.

I'm an ass about some things but I don't fuck with people's mail since I wouldn't want mine fucked with.
When I made the second call to amazon, I asked them to overnight another copy to the real buyer, and they said they would do it. It's amazon's fault, and amazon's loss. I'm not trudging to the post office in subfreezing, hazardous weather just to fix their mistake.

I live in an apartment building. I frequently deliver packages to people's apartments when I see them sitting in the main hallway.

Last edited by grundle; 12-15-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 11:45 AM
  #17  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by GenPion
I think he threw it out because the pictures in the book disturbed him. In any case, I can understand being upset. I once had the same thing happen to me with a Barnes and Noble order. The invoice inside (name, address, and item) was different than what I had ordered. I got a copy of Dear John on paperback instead of The Story of Adele H. by Truffaut on DVD. Needless to say, I contacted B&N and they fixed my order.

At the time I wondered if the person who ordered Dear John got my movie. I hope that if they did, they watched it, and that their taste improved by doing so. I honestly thought that particular switch happening was hilarious (if irritating as a customer).
Also, if amazon had been willing to pick it up from me, I would have returned it. That's why I called them in the first place.
Old 12-15-10, 11:48 AM
  #18  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by grundle
Actually, I did order a pair of shoes. I wonder if they are being sent to the doctor.
My shoes arrived at my place today, and on time too. Perhaps Prestige is improving.

Obviously, there was no switcheroo between two different shipping labels, which was the only explanation that I could think of for why amazon sent me the book.
Old 12-15-10, 11:49 AM
  #19  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by Quatermass
The same thing happened to me when I ordered the dvd of Gone Baby Gone.
Heh heh.
Old 12-15-10, 06:14 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,130
Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by grundle
Also, if amazon had been willing to pick it up from me, I would have returned it. That's why I called them in the first place.
You could've requested a UPS label to be sent to you via email and then you could've scheduled a UPS pickup delivery yourself.
Old 12-15-10, 07:08 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by grundle
When I made the second call to amazon, I asked them to overnight another copy to the real buyer, and they said they would do it. It's amazon's fault, and amazon's loss. I'm not trudging to the post office in subfreezing, hazardous weather just to fix their mistake.
Ripping apart and throwing away something meant for something else. Truly the Christmas spirit.

Originally Posted by Deftones
You could've requested a UPS label to be sent to you via email and then you could've scheduled a UPS pickup delivery yourself.
All without getting up from the couch.
Old 12-15-10, 09:09 PM
  #22  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,823
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by Deftones
You could've requested a UPS label to be sent to you via email and then you could've scheduled a UPS pickup delivery yourself.
I don't have a printer.
Old 12-15-10, 10:06 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
MrSmearkase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ayer, MA
Posts: 5,259
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

The book in question

Old 12-15-10, 11:05 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Looks like a pretty interesting book. And who doesn't own a printer? They usually throw those in for free when you buy the computer.
Old 12-18-10, 01:26 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: palookaville
Posts: 386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon sent me a book of photographs of dead fetuses, which I never ordered.

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Sorry, I drew your name in the Otter Secret Santa. You're not exactly the easiest to shop for.
This is the funniest thing I've ever read on DVD Talk!

Kudos, WallyOPD!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.