Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

An negative experience with Amazon packaging

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My most recent order from Amazon consisted of two mangas and a DVD. It was placed inside one of those long boxes with the flaps on both sides. I think it was marked as box style BK1. I don't remember because I threw it away, but it was a skinny box that had the Amazon logo with BK1 listed on the back. These boxes should no longer be used because those flaps can easily be opened during transit and the articles inside could become lost. Either that or the folks at Amazon who package the products forgot to use tape to secure the flaps. Poor, poor packaging. I'm surprised the stuff I ordered arrived safely, but the packaging process was totally unprofessional. Has anyone else experienced the flaw with this particular box style? The box looked similar to this:

See those two flaps holding the book in place (or in my case, the two mangas and DVD)? Both of those flaps were loose and not secure. All I had to do to open up the box was easily slide out the loose flaps. Terrible.

By the way, I already gave Amazon a negative on its 'Packaging Feedback'.
Old 12-11-10, 05:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: An negative experience with Amazon packaging

If your stuff arrived safely and in good condition why is it poor packaging? From the pictures supplied, it looks pretty good to me.
Old 12-11-10, 05:52 PM

Sometimes when I order books, they put them in an over sized box with one tiny air bag thingy. The result is crushed corners.
Old 12-11-10, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
If your stuff arrived safely and in good condition why is it poor packaging? From the pictures supplied, it looks pretty good to me.
First off, the photo was just an example of the style of box that I received, not my actual order. That's why I said the box looked 'similar' to this.

Anyway, the flaps were loose and the three products inside were sliding around. This is NOT the appropriate box to be used for what i ordered. I guess this style of box would be sufficient for a SINGLE item that would actually stay secure within the confines of the box, like the book pictured above. But like I said, the flaps on both sides were loose and the contents inside could have easily fallen out. I'm just saying it was a poor choice on Amazon's part. If Amazon was going to use this box, they could have at least taped those loose flaps into place. Yeah, I'm lucky my order wasn't missing anything inside, but you never know about future orders if Amazon continues doing this. From my experience regarding this order, Amazon needs to improve their packaging techniques.
Old 12-12-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems yet! But in all the packages they mail out mistakes are bound to happen...so why not just call them and square it away with them? Honestly, does it do you any good go know if somebody else had problem with packaging before? Sorry...threads like this just make me scratch my head sometimes. I have had some issues with amazon.com before but I email them or call them to get it taken care of and they always make it right for me. Whining about it on a message board really doesn't do much for me.
Old 12-12-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
No problems yet! But in all the packages they mail out mistakes are bound to happen...so why not just call them and square it away with them? Honestly, does it do you any good go know if somebody else had problem with packaging before? Sorry...threads like this just make me scratch my head sometimes. I have had some issues with amazon.com before but I email them or call them to get it taken care of and they always make it right for me. Whining about it on a message board really doesn't do much for me.
^
This

Even with Amazon UK, they fix things quickly. I had a Blu-Ray box set shipped to me and half of the cases came cracked (because of packaging). Contacted their customer support and within 1-2 days they had another set shipped out to me. Didn't even have me send back the damaged set.
Old 12-13-10, 06:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazon may not be perfect, but they are one of the few places that actually seems to care and they try to make things right. What other place even lets you rate packaging?
Old 12-13-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way too many online shops are shipping DVDs/CDs in those fold over type cardboard mailers without taping the end flaps shut. Sheer idiocy.
Old 12-13-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought many things from Amazon and I've seen all kinds of packaging but nothing with the flaps as pictured yet.
Old 12-21-10, 12:26 AM

I have had this type of box used by Amazon (UK) several times before, frequently gets squashed and the flaps are never properly sealed. The items inside are always too lose, and could easily slide out. I once had an item (DVD) go missing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it just slipped out during the long journey.
Old 12-21-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Barnes & Noble also uses this style of packaging. I have yet to lose something from a package of this type, though not for lack of effort by the shippers. At least once an entire flap was hanging out and an unscrupulous mailman could have absconded with the items.
Old 12-22-10, 07:24 PM

I have received items from Amazon in boxes, bubble envelopes and the wrap-around style faux box shown above.

If you look on the packing slip that's in the box with the item, there is a box code printed at the bottom of the slip. I guess this is provided to the person packing your order so they don't have to think. They just grab the pre-numbered box, bubble envelope or wrap around style box and pack the item, knowing that the item(s) will fit in the container. There is no trial and error, everything is figured out in advance for the person packing the order.

For the Watchmen Owl Ship, it was packed in box style 1B7

For the Alice BD with frame, it was packed in box style 1B2

Bubble envelopes I have rec'd seem to all be A2

Wrap-around faux boxes I have rec'd are the following:

V3
V4

Real boxes I have rec'd are the following:

DVD1
A1
A3
1A1
1A3
1A4
1A8

I think Amazon has it down to a science. If they run out of a particular box style, the computer knows this and prints another in-stock box style on the packing slip, which may account for the seemingly random packing methods that folks have observed.
Old 12-24-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lately if I am ordering something dumb like an Xbox points card it comes in a nice sturdy cardboard box. If I am ordering something fragile it comes in a padded mailer and is crushed beyond recognition. I also have prime, but even with 2 day shipping I have had 2 items completely destroyed by the time I got them. There is no sense at all to the way Amazon packages my stuff.
Old 12-28-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Tell me about it. I ordered gun for a nephew on the 12th and it finally shipped here. One end of the packaging is totally crushed. The taping doesn't look very secure either.

Amazon packing is pretty hit and miss at this point. I've had stuff packaged properly and securely. The other times they've been pretty half assed, including one time where I ordered some DVDR and the package looked like it was about to break apart.
Old 12-31-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't had a problem with Amazon's packaging. I like the boxes pictured above because they've always arrived safely and are reusable for when I need to ship discs.
Old 12-31-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Couldn't agree more. The internet age has killed common sense. If you have a problem with a product, return it. Packaging problems? Complain to the retailer. Why do so many people need to go to an online forum and ask advice on what to do?
Old 12-31-10, 08:35 AM

I don't think the OP was asking for advice, he was just wondering if other people had had similar experiences. What is the point of an Internet forum if not to yak about random whatever?
Old 12-31-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Tell me about it. I ordered gun for a nephew on the 12th and it finally shipped here. One end of the packaging is totally crushed. The taping doesn't look very secure either.
How old is your nephew?