Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What are my options?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are my options?

I picked up the new BTTF Blu Ray set at Target but want to return it. It's open but I have a receipt. One of my discs are already scratched. I just want my money back. Is that possible?
Old 10-26-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: What are my options?

Because it's open, they will probably only let you exchange it for the same item. Unless they are out of stock already, then you might be able to get them to do a refund.
Old 10-26-10, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Probably not. For opened media they generally do exchanges only. Why do you want your money back?
Old 10-26-10, 11:02 AM

Because the packaging is horrendous, one disc is already scratched as a result, and the problem would be the same no matter how many times I exchange it. Exchanging it wouldn't do any good because the packaging is the same. Getting them out is bad enough, getting back in is even harder. You need to forcefully push down on a disc (which you should never do) and kind of slide it out to get it out. It's beyond dumb. I'm not the only one upset about the packaging -- not by a long shot. It was even worse than I thought after seeing some pics of it.

I should have just imported the UK version that has normal packaging.
Old 10-26-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Given what you say about the packaging and the fact that you have a receipt, I would give it a shot. Show them how the packaging has damaged the discs and that an exchange won't solve the problem.
Old 10-26-10, 11:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That's not good news. My package arrives from Amazon today.
Old 10-27-10, 12:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Maybe a better thread title next time please?

YMMV on the exchange. About half the time they open the new set to prevent returns, the other half they don't and you can later return the exchange for a refund.

I'd just put the discs in better cases. Also, these type of scuffs from packaging never affect playability in my experience.
Old 10-27-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

scratched? Did you buy a car or do you want to watch a movie? Do you frame your dvd's?
Old 10-27-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
scratched? Did you buy a car or do you want to watch a movie? Do you frame your dvd's?
I like to use mine as frisbees personally
Old 10-27-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Because it's open, they will probably only let you exchange it for the same item. Unless they are out of stock already, then you might be able to get them to do a refund.
Good luck with that. They once told me since they didn't have the same movie in stock for one of my defective titles (which I wanted to exchange) that I would have to wait for it to come back in stock.

I just went to another Best Buy near by. Which works well if you live in an area with more than one Best Buy, that is.

And how are these blu ray discs getting scratched up so bad? I had a couple "floaters" before on Blu Ray and they were just fine...no scratches at all.
Old 11-04-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And how are these blu ray discs getting scratched up so bad? I had a couple "floaters" before on Blu Ray and they were just fine...no scratches at all.
Same here, I haven't had a scratched Blu-ray yet.
Old 11-08-10, 11:19 AM

I'd say your chances are pretty slim that you would get your money back from an opened set. If you are really against owning the set, I'd say you could take the set back to the store, show them that it's scratched and get another set. I would assume they'd give you a replacement set still sealed (I've never had a store open up the new set). You could then trade that sealed set, sell it on Ebay, etc, etc. Otherwise, keep it and enjoy the great movies!!

One other option would be to exchange it, get an unopened set, and hold on to it until a couple of days after Xmas. Most stores (Walmart, Best buy, Target, etc) will let you return things without a receipt directly after Xmas. Just tell them it was a gift and they'll give you a store credit for it.

Just my two cents....
Rick