Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Invalid iTunes Cards at Best Buy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-03-10, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought two $15 iTunes gift cards at Best Buy in Hawthorne CA. A few days later my iTunes balance runs out so I scratch the labels on the cards to redeem them. BOTH cards end up giving me this message:

"The code you entered is not recognized as a valid code"

Now I've been using iTunes cards for a long time and this is the first time I've come accross this message. I figure if I take the cards back to Best Buy to get new ones or a refund they would take one look that the code has all ready been scratched and be reluctant to help me out. So I fill out this form online for iTunes support explaining my problem where I give them the codes and the serial on the cards. I'm supposed to get a response withing 48 hours, but I don't. I try calling them and that was pointless. No help there other than telling me to email them (which I all ready have).

Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I try taking them back to Best Buy? Or am I just screwed out of $30?
Old 08-04-10, 10:01 AM

Re: Invalid iTunes Cards at Best Buy

This happened to me a few years ago with an iTunes card I bought at an at&t store.

The number was showing as invalid for a few days and then suddenly it worked again. at&t said they would replace the card, but by the time I got around to going, it was working again.

When I first tried the card and it wouldn't work, I did the iTunes online support thing. Never heard anything from that. I'm assuming all the support requests go right into the trash can...

Hopefully BestBuy can help you out. I would assume they would have some kind of actual person they could call about the cards. Certainly you haven't been the first person to buy a card that the activation went screwy on.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-10, 04:03 AM

I bought itunes gift card 3x$10 at BBuy few days ago, bought them Santa Maria CA. Cant use them , same message, whats going on?
Old 08-07-10, 03:34 AM

I know someone that works at Best Buy and when I told her whatmy problem was she told me that it would seem sketchy to her if someone was bringing back those cards and that a manager would probably have to get involved, and they might not do anything. Which is what I suspected, so that's why I contacted iTunes instead.

So finally iTunes support respond to me requesting a scan of the receipt and both sides of the cards. Once I email them that, the next day I get an email saying they are investigating it and it looks like the cards weren't activated. The email goes on to say that someone else would contact me about it. Then the next day I get another email with some codes to to redeem for my $30.

It's pretty irritating that I had to jump through hoops and then it takes them this long to get me some codes that work. Since the fault wasn't mine and it took them so long to get back to me I figured they could have at least given me and extra $5, but nope.

The only reason I buy the cards instead of using my own credit card is because occasionally there's a deal for $30 for $25 or something similar.I will definitely think twice before buying iTunes cards again though.
Old 08-08-10, 11:06 PM

I work for Best Buy...You would have hard hard time returning or exchanging the cards. Look at it this was, iTunes is sold at hundreds of places and the activations are often not live and are run by third parties. I know FastCard is one of those companies.

Simply put, our system might show it as being activated but that was not communicated down the line somehow
Old 08-09-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by amd555
I work for Best Buy...You would have hard hard time returning or exchanging the cards. Look at it this was, iTunes is sold at hundreds of places and the activations are often not live and are run by third parties. I know FastCard is one of those companies.

Simply put, our system might show it as being activated but that was not communicated down the line somehow
I would think whatever process BB uses to hand off the activation to a third party would need some kind of acknowledgment back that the transmission was successful. If that is not received, it should be tried again, or at the very least, store management should receive an alert or some kind of exception report.
Old 08-10-10, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by amd555
So if the card doesn't get activated correctly, it's the consumer's job to trace down what went wrong?

Best Buy collected the money. The activation didn't work. Best Buy should do the legwork to get the card to work if the consumer comes back to the store with a card that doesn't work.

Obviously, if you walk into Best Buy with a iTunes card that's scratched off, the retailer has a right to be skeptical and question if the card was already redeemed. That doesn't mean they can wash their hands of it and say "not our problem, go call someone else".
Old 08-10-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by btbrossard
So if the card doesn't get activated correctly, it's the consumer's job to trace down what went wrong?

Best Buy collected the money. The activation didn't work. Best Buy should do the legwork to get the card to work if the consumer comes back to the store with a card that doesn't work.

Obviously, if you walk into Best Buy with a iTunes card that's scratched off, the retailer has a right to be skeptical and question if the card was already redeemed. That doesn't mean they can wash their hands of it and say "not our problem, go call someone else".
You'd like to think they could use your receipt's transaction ID to trace any activation problems, but that might be giving them too much credit. You'd be surprised how many holes like this exist in retail systems.
Old 08-10-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I would think whatever process BB uses to hand off the activation to a third party would need some kind of acknowledgment back that the transmission was successful. If that is not received, it should be tried again, or at the very least, store management should receive an alert or some kind of exception report.
We already have to deal with 100 reports a day...the last thing we need is a report run on POSA cards.
Old 08-10-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
We already have to deal with 100 reports a day...the last thing we need is a report run on POSA cards.
Well if it would be inconvenient then I suppose it's okay to provide poor customer service.
Old 08-10-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said anything about providing poor customer service.
Old 08-11-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I work for a retail chain too in a home office capacity. There are never too many reports!

Seriously, you can't just ignore the problem.
Old 08-12-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't run into this issue, ever. If it happened all the time, I would agree.
Old 08-13-10, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'll guarantee this: if they were Best Buy gift cards having that problem, they'd be all over it. Too much profit to lose from that. I wonder how much is made off the iTunes cards. Probably not a whole lot.
Old 08-13-10, 05:48 PM

Most places give you a separate receipt to confirm the card is activated, e.g. Safeway, Target, - I can't recall if Best Buy does or not.