Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Old 08-01-10, 04:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate amazon.com customer reviews

With multiple editions, multiple formats, multiple releases and such, WHY does amazon.com lump all the reviews for certain titles on one page? Reviews for VHS tapes still show up under the DVD page and on the Blu-Ray listings we now have reviews for VHS, DVD and the Blu-Ray. And if there is more than one edition of the same title, both editions share the same reviews, so you're reading reviews for one edition that has nothing to do with it because it's for something else.

Seriously, how can they allow this? If I post a review on a certain page for a certain product, I would expect it to show for that item alone, not be posted every time a new edition for that title comes out, or even on a whole new format for that title.

Maybe back in the early days of DVD this was easier to get through on their site, but for more popular titles it's getting difficult trying to figure out what review you are reading for which edition and format. It's frustrating.
Old 08-01-10, 04:23 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 17,292
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I'm always drawn to reading some of the reviews, but I agree that it could be set up so much better. I dislike that the reviews are based on different things. Some folks rate the actual product, some are rating Amazon.com and their speed of delivery while still others will throw in a rating based on the price of the item.
Old 08-01-10, 04:28 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I'm always drawn to reading some of the reviews, but I agree that it could be set up so much better. I dislike that the reviews are based on different things. Some folks rate the actual product, some are rating Amazon.com and their speed of delivery while still others will throw in a rating based on the price of the item.
Even better yet when they throw in something completely random. My favorite was a review for Toy Story and the reviewer said the movies were anti-Christian because the only way toys could talk was through demonic possession.

(I tried to find it now...either the review was taken down or I didn't save the link right...)

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Two-Disc...R2LGESR0I778B1

But here is the review...
1 of 48 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars a well made secular movie that a serious Christian should think twice about seeing, June 18, 2010
By Joomi Lee (World citizen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toy Story (DVD)

From a secular point of view this was a very well made movie.

A Christian parent would want to think twice before allowing their child to see this movie, because in the real world, the only way a toy could move and talk is if it were demonized. I found this movie disturbing from this point of view, and yet at the same time I realized most people would consider this a harmless fantasy movie.

I have seen this movie and Toy Story 2, but have decided not to watch Toy Story 3 for this reason.
Old 08-02-10, 12:09 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,023
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Even better yet when they throw in something completely random. My favorite was a review for Toy Story and the reviewer said the movies were anti-Christian because the only way toys could talk was through demonic possession.

(I tried to find it now...either the review was taken down or I didn't save the link right...)

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Two-Disc...R2LGESR0I778B1

But here is the review...
Old 08-02-10, 02:27 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I also hate how they can let users purposely vote down a product with their ratings and flood them with 1 star reviews. Although it certainly does lead to some humorous situations.
Old 08-02-10, 04:06 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Memphis,Tn
Posts: 622
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

To OP I agree 100%. You can never get a true feeling of how a certain product is because of that foolishness.
Old 08-02-10, 08:29 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,650
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
I'm always drawn to reading some of the reviews, but I agree that it could be set up so much better. I dislike that the reviews are based on different things. Some folks rate the actual product, some are rating Amazon.com and their speed of delivery while still others will throw in a rating based on the price of the item.
My most annoying reviews are when some fucktard leaves a one-star review on the product page because they're pissed at an Amazon Marketplace seller.

It actually terrifies me that people this stupid are sharing the planet with me.
Old 08-02-10, 09:23 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 509
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

The other annoying thing is allowing people to review stuff that's not even released yet. I've noticed it in DVDs and Blu Rays but I understand it's even worse in book reviews.

To me they are "Fan Boys", "People who like to see their name in print" or "Assholes". Or all three.

So I just ignore any reviews that are dated prior to the release date.

And there are people who rebel against it. They post 1 star reviews to negate the 5 star ones. And vice versa. Really ludicrous.

There is a little war going on now with the Alien Anthology release.

Just ruins the star rating aspect of the system so most of the time you just have to ignore it.

James
Old 08-02-10, 10:06 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow View Post
The other annoying thing is allowing people to review stuff that's not even released yet. I've noticed it in DVDs and Blu Rays but I understand it's even worse in book reviews.

To me they are "Fan Boys", "People who like to see their name in print" or "Assholes". Or all three.

So I just ignore any reviews that are dated prior to the release date.

And there are people who rebel against it. They post 1 star reviews to negate the 5 star ones. And vice versa. Really ludicrous.

There is a little war going on now with the Alien Anthology release.

Just ruins the star rating aspect of the system so most of the time you just have to ignore it.

James

This drives me nuts about the book reviews. It's clear the reviewer hasn't read the book, but they dislike the author's position or want to rant on the topic so they use it as a soap box to spout their crap.

What surprises me is a lot of them will start off by saying "I haven't read the book, but I'm planning to." You would think Amazon could easily delete these since they're admitting to not actually reading the book they're reviewing.
Old 08-02-10, 11:40 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,511
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
My most annoying reviews are when some fucktard leaves a one-star review on the product page because they're pissed at an Amazon Marketplace seller.

It actually terrifies me that people this stupid are sharing the planet with me.
Totally, this drives me nuts...
Old 08-02-10, 01:01 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
sauce07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 6,462
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I hate when you get to a product that has 3 reviews, 2 of them are 1 star reviews that share the exact same complaints and 1 is a 5 star that praises every aspect. It's obvious that the 2 star reviews were written by a competitor and the 5 star by the company selling the product.
Old 08-02-10, 07:24 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 839
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I like when someone's review is a criticism of the length of time it took to receive the item or a complaint about a marketplace seller. You have people giving The Godfather 1 star because some marketplace seller shipped a copy too slow.
Old 08-05-10, 03:30 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 6,997
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Or when people review an item before it comes out (see: Alien Anthology Blu-Ray Set).
Old 08-05-10, 04:06 AM
  #14  
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
My most annoying reviews are when some fucktard leaves a one-star review on the product page because they're pissed at an Amazon Marketplace seller.

It actually terrifies me that people this stupid are sharing the planet with me.
yes, this makes me wonder how the said people even made it online to place said order.

Citizen Kane:

1 star "seller sent scratched disc and never replied to my e-mail"
Old 08-06-10, 03:12 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,611
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

What gets me is how people can leave obviously inept reviews even before a product comes out but Amazon won't let me add mine because I didn't purchase the item from them.
Old 08-06-10, 06:41 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,126
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I love reading the customer reviews. I just weed through the morons and have gotten a lot of very good info on the various products. If you don't like them, don't read them. They're pretty easy to ignore.
Old 08-06-10, 08:03 AM
  #17  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,899
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I love reading the customer reviews. I just weed through the morons and have gotten a lot of very good info on the various products. If you don't like them, don't read them. They're pretty easy to ignore.
Exactly. There are great reviews on almost every product I've ever looked at on Amazon. Some of the DVD reviews are as good as the ones on professional sites. Just ignore the chaff.
Old 08-08-10, 04:13 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SHADO HQ
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I love the people who feel the need to recapitulate the plot of a book/movie, even though Amazon includes a synopsis and 50 other reviewers have already done the same thing. It's even more ridiculous when the book/movie is very well known ("The Wizard Of Oz is about a girl from Kansas who...").
Old 08-08-10, 04:22 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,259
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I don't mind the customer reviews, but sometimes it is annoying to have to weed out the fanboys to get a decent honest review.

A lot of the times when i'm on the fence about a product, I will read a bunch of reviews to help sway me one way or another.
Old 08-23-10, 04:25 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 42,229
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I hate when you get to a product that has 3 reviews, 2 of them are 1 star reviews that share the exact same complaints and 1 is a 5 star that praises every aspect. It's obvious that the 2 star reviews were written by a competitor and the 5 star by the company selling the product.
Then there's also a 1-star review that praises every aspect because they didn't understand the system.
Old 09-01-10, 10:18 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 3,542
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I'm looking up a movie to buy that's released by a couple different distributors and most of the reviews are about the movie itself. I want to know what the condition and contents of the dvd or Blu-ray is. I know there is dvdbeaver, but they don't always have reviews of certain titles to compare.
Old 09-01-10, 03:26 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC-ish
Posts: 3,270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I hate reading reviews, looking for blu info, and they are talking about the dvd from 2002. Why cant they figure out a way to keep reviews separate and pertinent to the specific item.
Old 09-02-10, 05:28 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,697
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
I hate reading reviews, looking for blu info, and they are talking about the dvd from 2002. Why cant they figure out a way to keep reviews separate and pertinent to the specific item.
Agreed. Especially with multiple editions of the same title on the same format, it becomes very annoying. Worse when they are talking about the film in general.

For most products, I tend to read only the most negative reviews, IE 1 and 2 stars.
Old 09-16-10, 01:42 PM
  #24  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

I think it's due the fact that Amazon hire and pay to writters. They just saving money showing the same review for all editions.
Old 09-16-10, 02:47 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I hate amazon.com customer reviews

My all time favorite amazon.com review was a one star review given to Citizen Kane because it was in black and white and also that Marlon Brando couldn't act.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.