Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buh-bye Blockbuster

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buh-bye Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Buh-bye Blockbuster

the giftcard is a debt so i don't think they really have to since the creditors take over in BK
Old 09-24-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i've done their online deal a few years back and it was OK only because netflix was going through growing pains and had their own problems with mailing DVD's on time

did the free in store rental and hated it since i'd have to make time to go back and return the movie. same reason why i don't do redbox. i don't go by the rental kiosks every day or every few days

i have a blockbuster fairly close to where i live and i'm really shocked that people still go inside when there is netflix and streaming on demand
Old 09-24-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
the giftcard is a debt so i don't think they really have to since the creditors take over in BK
Depends on how the bk is structured. Since they aren't pulling a Circuit City, they may still be good.
Old 09-24-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dugnarug
Its their own fault they are bankrupt. They have things that make them unique over Redbox like their Rental Exclusives but they NEVER promote them. I can go into my Blockbuster and ask about a Exclusive title they show on their website but don't have in store and they look at me like I've just asked a really complex question. Its bad when a customer knows more about a store and what they offer than an employee.

Its sad though because I still enjoy these B&M video stores just to stop in and browse every now and then.
There's a few reasons for this...and this is NOT defending them by any stretch of the imagination...

The fact of the lack of advertising is the lack of money to advertise. They have been near a billion dollars in debt for quite some time...well over a year, in fact. They just had no money to free up to advertise.

It is bad when the customer knows more than the employee, no doubt. The fact behind this is TERRIBLE communication from above about any new programs, changes, etc. I can't stress how terrible it is. Customers are OFTEN the first ones to inform employees of this, NOT corporate. Sometimes this is the fault of the store manager (fails to read emails informing of new things, failure to communicate the emails with staff) and sometimes it's because Blockbuster's computers are still in the 80's. They still run their operating system on DOS. It would be FANTASTIC if they had computers that ran on Windows that connected to blockbuster.com at the very least (and some other movie related websites would be helpful) where employees could find out this information first. But until they overhaul their computer systems (MUCH more money) this isn't going to happen any time soon.
Old 09-24-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just my 2¢ on all this...The announcement to the stores they were filing for bankruptcy was just PR BS. But what disturbed me most was the verbiage used. You would expect they would say something along the lines, "We need to get back to the basics and focus on what made us strong in the first place...rentals! We are going to refocus and start new all over again." Or something like that. NOPE! They stated very plainly that their mission was to be the ONE STOP entertainment store for customers to go to. [seth and amy]REALLY???[/seth and amy] That's what got them to this point in the first place.

This company is run by insane people. If you keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results each time, you are INSANE! This company is the perfect example of the poisoned mindset that we saw in the documentary Corporation.
Old 09-24-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

My website started as a rant against BB, but has turned into a BB employee forum that is 95% employees (the regular posters)...They often say that they get more info from my site, than corporate gives them...
Old 09-24-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I've been reading that site but not posting- I love all the stories about how stores are now selling PICKLES! Yes, THAT'LL get me to go back, even though I don't rent and they never have anything I want to buy! (And I thought renting video games was a silly idea.....)
Old 09-24-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I post at ihateblockbuster.com as well... (Damien Oujia). I had no idea the creator of the site posted here too!
Old 09-26-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

Thats me! Been here a little longer than my site has been around...
Old 09-26-10, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if any new york locations are going out of business
Old 10-18-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooovies
does anyone know if any new york locations are going out of business
The one in Selden on LI just shut down.
Old 10-18-10, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
The one in Selden on LI just shut down.
i wish i knew about that......thanks
Old 10-19-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

One region is about to start testing a new pricing structure, there is a meeting about it this sunday.

No one has been able to get anything out of the managers on what the new structure will be.
Old 10-19-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
One region is about to start testing a new pricing structure, there is a meeting about it this sunday.

No one has been able to get anything out of the managers on what the new structure will be.
Finally! I wondered when they were going to start listening to me.

I'll bet it's a flat rate like $2/night. Maybe $1/night for older stuff.
Old 10-19-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not positive, but a friend who is a manager who works for them told me they were going to three days for three bucks. It may be different in your area if it's a test area.
Old 10-19-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

$3 for 3 days is what it was in the early 90s, when I last rented from them- Even ignoring all the other things that are wrong with Blockbuster, that was reason enough not to patronize them since I could rent stuff for 1 day at other stores for less- I never needed to keep anything longer than that.
Old 10-20-10, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still remember the arrogant Blockbuster CEO chuckling to himself after being asked about Netflix on a financial show, and how people were really liking the service and it was growing. The host, I think on CNBC, said he was using it and really liked it. The CEO almost laughingly cited how small Netflix's market share was back then as if to say 'these chuckers? HA! They're nothing next to us'. He said people still liked to drive to a store and whatnot, the usual nonsense.

American CEO's...
Old 10-20-10, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Are they still taking giftcards?
I would cash those suckers in ASAP. If and when they decide to liquidate your giftcards will become worthless.
Old 10-20-10, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
$3 for 3 days is what it was in the early 90s, when I last rented from them- Even ignoring all the other things that are wrong with Blockbuster, that was reason enough not to patronize them since I could rent stuff for 1 day at other stores for less- I never needed to keep anything longer than that.
That's my problem with them as well. I don't want to pay for extra days I'm not going to use. I think it creates confusion as to the return date and encourages people to rent a lot more movies at a time. From a business standpoint, this seems attractive at first, but I think this is what led to their downfall.
Say a renter thought the 5 movies she rented Friday night were due back Monday, but came to find out on her next visit they were due back Sunday and she owes another $15 in late fees. She argues with the cashier and leaves angry without renting anything. Maybe she paid the late fees, maybe not. Either way it's an angry customer who won't be back.
With 1-day rentals, it's simple: rent today, bring it back tomorrow. People probably won't rent five at a time, but instead, the customer makes more visits to the store. It worked for years before they started getting "creative."
Old 10-22-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well all rents are 3 days but there is a price teir. More later.
Old 10-22-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4 tiers of pricing.

"Just Arrived" = $4.99
"New Release" = $2.99
"Top Picks" = $2.99
"Library" = $.99

The ADR is now $.99 down from $1.00.

All dvd rentals are 3 days
Old 10-22-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4 tiers of pricing.

"Just Arrived" = $4.99
"New Release" = $2.99
"Top Picks" = $2.99
"Library" = $.99

Jesus have mercy. Just arrived AND new release pricing? It confused moron customers enough when there was just two tiers...new release and favorites. For some reason their small brains would think something they grabbed off the WALL was somehow a favorite and should be cheaper because they just thought it should be. They can't tell the difference between a g*damn wall and shelving in the middle of the store. Now Blockbuster expects these mouth breathing morons to figure out which ones just arrived and how that is different from new releases?

This is REALLY what Blockbuster is going with these days?
Old 10-22-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but it will be easy to know which is what tier as everything will have a decent sized sticker indicating it's tier and price, (not sure about price have to look at the sheet again).

Also this is a trial in several regions not necessarily everywhere.
Old 10-22-10, 09:10 PM

4 tiers of pricing.

"Just Arrived" = $4.99
"New Release" = $2.99
"Top Picks" = $2.99
"Library" = $.99

All I can say is (and I quote) Buh-bye Blockbuster
Old 10-22-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont see this being good at all.
Looks more like they raised the price by shortening the time you keep a dvd for the same price as before.
was $5 for 5 days now $5 for 3 days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.