Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does every F.Y.E let you trade dvds...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-30-10, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does every F.Y.E let you trade in DVDs for cash or store credit? I need to know because I was thinking about going to the one in Sioux City, Iowa tomorrow.

Last edited by schuym1; 06-30-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does every F.Y.E let you trade dvds...

yep.

i dont think they pay much (or give much store credit) any longer though. and there are always tons of titles that they will not take because they are "overstocked". good luck
Old 07-01-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could really use the Brown Bag promotion right now, but fear that those days are over. To get a general idea of what FYE will pay for your DVDs, go to www.wherehouse.com . FYE usually pays slightly less than what is quoted on that site. If the item is worth less than a dollar, then they are overstocked and FYE won't accept them for trade-in. Also, you'll get 25% more if you take store credit over cash.
Old 07-01-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this coupon in the Anime Bargains thread-

The brown bag is back!
Old 07-01-10, 01:01 PM

Glad that the Brown Bag is back! I know many people prefer to sell their CDs and DVDs online or to independently owned stores because they may offer more, but trading my unwanted CDs and DVDs in to FYE is just so much more convenient. And you can always use the credit towards something you'll want. It may be expensive, but the credit really brings down the price significantly. Plus, I have had no issues buying used from them. If an item was defective, they always either exchange it or refund me (if they don't have another copy), no questions asked. A few weeks ago I brought in a few things and got $25 store credit, so I decided to pick up Volume 8 of Family Guy and Volume 5 of American Dad, and I only wound up having to pay $42 cash, which I don't think is bad at all.
Old 07-01-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjh_54
Glad that the Brown Bag is back! I know many people prefer to sell their CDs and DVDs online or to independently owned stores because they may offer more, but trading my unwanted CDs and DVDs in to FYE is just so much more convenient. And you can always use the credit towards something you'll want. It may be expensive, but the credit really brings down the price significantly. Plus, I have had no issues buying used from them. If an item was defective, they always either exchange it or refund me (if they don't have another copy), no questions asked. A few weeks ago I brought in a few things and got $25 store credit, so I decided to pick up Volume 8 of Family Guy and Volume 5 of American Dad, and I only wound up having to pay $42 cash, which I don't think is bad at all.
Yea, thats pretty terrible.
Old 07-01-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I could really use the Brown Bag promotion right now...
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
...The brown bag is back!
your wish came true!

do it again! do it again
Old 07-02-10, 02:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rjh_54
If you went to DVDEmpire and used the current coupon you would have paid a dollar or two more for the two sets without having to trade in $100 worth of stuff for $25 credit.
Old 07-06-10, 06:29 PM

With the prices at F.Y.E., I'm surprised anyone knows.
Old 07-07-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure, but the last time I traded in at FYE I think they said that credit is the only option now, you can no longer get cash for trade ins.

Like I said, I'm not sure. I didn't pay too much attention because I always just took the credit anyway.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-07-10 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I'm not sure, but the last time I traded in at FYE I think they said that credit is the only option now, you can no longer get cash for trade ins.

Like I said, I'm not sure. I didn't pay too much attention because I always just took the credit anyway.
It's up to the manager at each individual store. I just did a trade-in this past weekend and got cash.
Old 07-18-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quick reminder-tomorrow is the last day for the extra 20%.
Old 07-23-10, 12:27 AM

I have not been to an FYE since the 20% bonus supposedly ended, but I did go to one tonight and picked up a few used CDs, and at the bottom of my receipt there's a blurb that says: "20% CASH OR CREDIT BONUS FOR YOUR USED CDs, DVDs, & GAME TRADE-INS!" followed by the standard disclaimer about them refusing any item not in the database and stuff, but after that it says "OFFER VALID 6/28/2010 to 8/3/2010". Did the dates of the sale differ at various FYE locations?
Old 07-23-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^

They sometimes extend the window for the extra 20% promotion. Thanks for the updated info.
Old 07-24-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do they add the extra 20% on trade-ins automatically or does it still require the above coupon?
Old 07-25-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

you get 25% extra for trade than for sell.. (and many times they won't "buy" but will still trade)... the 20% is on top of the new total 1+25%. For example $10 sell would be $12.50 ($10+$2.50) trade and with coupon would be $15 ($12.50+$2.50). Sad thing though is you have to have a valid coupon... unless they extend it for some reason...