Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Disc Damage -

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disc Damage -

After eleven years I should really know this, but, I'm asking anyway. Just received a DVD in the mail and of course it's a floater. This is a bad one (see pic below) to the extent where it is unplayable.

And no need to tell me how stupid I was for opening it. Yes, I know. If it were just a few scratches and playable I would have kept it. This is the first one, out of a very few, that I've had this severe of a problem with.

I've sent an email to the etailer awaiting a response. But I'm curious if anyone else has had success returning an opened DVD due to damage.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=DSCF0245.jpg
Old 04-03-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Disc Damage -

I have no personal experience with returning a damaged DVD, but think you'd have nearly 100% chance of getting a replacement upon request. How can you be denied when you have an unplayable disc? I would think the particular etailer probably has something listed in their return policies about instances like this.
Old 04-03-10, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your first mistake was buying from a store called Disc Damage.
Old 04-03-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

id guess it really depends on the "etailer". for example, amazon.com? id think so. amazon marketplace? not so sure.
Old 04-03-10, 08:14 PM

i've had worse one play
Old 04-03-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ^MuYa^
Your first mistake was buying from a store called Disc Damage.
Indeed. That's why I always order from Disc Perfect -

But to echo what others have said, contact your etailer and inquire about obtaining a replacement.
Old 04-03-10, 11:18 PM

If the retailer who you bought it from won't replace it for whatever reason, the studio will.

I just had Universal Home Entertainment replace a defective disk.

I bought it a couple of months ago, but no idea where. I emailed Universal and they mailed out a new one and an envelope to return the damaged disk back to them.
Old 04-04-10, 08:24 PM
Banned

The only place that I've gotten a disc that was like that was from Mill Creek. I bought their Adventures Of Robin Hood season 1 set that had two scratched discs just like yours. They sent me new ones. As a way of saying sorry for the crappy set, they sent me two other sets. More than half of the discs were extremely scratched and looked as if someone dropped them on blacktop and ran them around with their foot. A while later, I got a couple of other sets which were.....scratched. They replaced the discs and, again, to say sorry, the sent me the second season of Robin Hood. But it's packaged in a really odd way. The discs are in paper sleeves which sit into a space on one side of the case. There's not spindle, just the sleeved discs sitting on top of each other. Not a really sound way of packaging things, right ? So far, they don't look unplayable, but I haven't tried yet. I wish Mill Creek would get their act together. They have some really great sets, but it's really a hassle to exchange something you spend a lot of money on. And Universal ? I wish they would replace the Legacy Collection discs that won't play on all players. Terrible authouring job !
Old 04-04-10, 10:42 PM
Banned

I've bought discs similar and worse than this at used movie stores, and with a dab of rubbing alcohol and a VERY soft cotton cloth I managed to buff most of it out by hand. You could also take it to any video store (if you still have one in business) and ask if they could put it in their disc buffer - usually it'll only cost you a dollar or two depending on the store.
Old 04-05-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info guys.

Sorry about the misleading title, well since this is the Internet and everybody is either all right or all wrong. Anyway, wrote the body of the message and forgot to change the title before submitting.

The vendor accepted return of the disc, sent a RA and return slip for free shipping. Good stuff! Surprised it went as easily as it did.