Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BN.com - Shadow of Their Former Self

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BN.com has officially lost me as a loyal customer. I am fed up with their lousy sales and apparently now horrible delivery services.

Not that long ago, my wallet was regularly emptied by some truly great BN dvd deals. Member discount prices were good, and 20% off coupons were a regular thing. Shipping was almost always a fast 3 day delivery with free shipping.

Three weeks ago, I placed my first order with them in over 6 months. I managed to get a decent deal squeezing in the opening night of B2G1F sale before they jacked up all the prices. Instead of receiving the goods in 3 days, BN took 8 days to ship. I still haven't received anything. Last tracking shows Jan. 13.

I called tech support and they offered to ship me another order, oh and as a courtesy, I get a prepaid shipping label so I can go through the hassle of mailing back the original order if it ever arrives.

Thanks for nothing, BN. For that $25 a year membership, I only saw two semi-good sales in the last 12 months, and wait 3 weeks for my item. Amazon also had a lost order, and they immediately shipped a replacement overnight 1 day shipping. BN is just not a real competitor anymore, and I won't be sad when they go belly up.
Old 01-19-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: BN.com - Shadow of Their Former Self

Seems to me like they were reasonable. They offered to replace the order. As for the "hassle" of sticking a prepaid label on a duplicate order and dropping it in a mail box--c'mon. What did you expect them to do?
Old 01-19-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, seems like a reasonable response to a potentially unique situation you ran into. If you had multiple cases of the same problem and delays, I would understand.

If you're shunning them over a single instance of trouble, I imagine you wouldn't shop at many retailers.
Old 01-20-10, 10:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Delays in delivery or lost shipments are not the fault of the shipper, but of the carrier(USPS, UPS, FEDEX). It sounds like they are trying to make good. They are the ones eating a big loss if the shipment never arrives.
Old 01-20-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Reasonable to me as well. And there have been some decent prices (at least with what I buy) during the current buy 2 sale.
Old 01-21-10, 12:59 AM

I still like them just fine, they have decent sales now and then and stock a huge selection of stuff you can't always find other places. And I've never had any problems with their customer service, either.
Old 01-25-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it has now been 3 weeks, and I still don't have my item. Freaking ridiculous. I received an email stating that my replacement order had been delayed.
Old 01-31-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Well it has now been 3 weeks, and I still don't have my item. Freaking ridiculous. I received an email stating that my replacement order had been delayed.
I'm not sure what is going on but it is apparent something has changed since around the start of January with B&N concerning delays and canceled orders. The last 6 orders I placed in January have all been hit with delays for one item not being available, even though it appears it is in stock on the web site. Most of the delays have been only for a few days before the order finally ships. I'm not usually in a huge rush to get my orders and the delays for the most part have not bothered me.

However I also have noticed a trend in the B&N coupon thread of several complaints of having an item canceled from an order and causing all sorts of problems with the remaining portion. There have been several posts about having a DVD canceled from an order that was part of the current B2G1F sale that resulted in losing credit for a free DVD in that order. I also personally had an item canceled from an order last week, which resulted in losing a coupon and having a shipping charge suddenly added on. I'm not even sure why part of my order was canceled since the item was still available to order on the web site and appeared if it was in stock. Unfortunately I was not given any opportunity to cancel the other item before it shipped, and B&N customer service was not very helpful other than offering to send a return label to return it.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 01-31-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems BN.com improved some since my one and only order with them in 2002.

I had an order that took an entire month to arrive (with standard shipping ?!!?), but I could sorta, maybe, understand...x-mas time.

But the jerking around I got from the CS people is what made me dismiss them forever. I called complaining about my DVD not showing up not *3 weeks* and they offer to send out another right away. I called a few days later to check the status, and the person I talked to previously never even placed the 2nd order. I got so pissed that I got a refund at the store the next day. The day after x-mas the damn DVD arrives in the mail.

Consider that even BN.com.

I've never ordered from the store or website since then.