Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ordering from Amazon

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ordering from Amazon

Old 11-16-09, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordering from Amazon

It has been awhile since I ordered from Amazon, but I placed an order last night amd when I looked at the email it says that it won't ship out until a week from today. Does Amazon really take this long to ship? I chose the free shipping, but man that is a long time. That means i won't get my order until the first week of December.
Old 11-16-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts
Re: Ordering from Amazon

It usually depends on the availability of what you ordered. Was the item listed in stock when you ordered it?
Old 11-16-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

It depends on the availability of the items to Amazon, which can vary from case to case. For example, I ordered a few things from Amazon last Friday (a game, a cable, and a couple of BRs). The game and cable got here today, while the movies haven't even shipped yet. Everything was listed as being in stock when I placed the order.

It's not really that long, especially compared to the times some of us have waited for things from other vendors. I like that they're pretty upfront about the length of arrival for your items when you place the order, giving you time to cancel (or maybe upgrade the shipping) if you really need the item earlier. If the shipping wasn't free I might be annoyed. Whenever I paid for shipping the items arrived quickly. That's just the tradeoff for it being free.
Old 11-16-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always takes a few extra days before they ship items if you pick free shipping. At least that's how it works for me.

Dirk
Old 11-17-09, 02:15 AM

I've had very good luck with FSSS lately. Maybe it's just when I order (towards the end of the week), but the items have all shipped nearly the same day. I ordered a blu ray on 11/14 (~8PM), it shipped the night of 11/15 and arrived today (11/16). Another 3-item order from 11/14 had 2 packages ship on 11/15 (and arrive today) with the larger package shipping 11/16 and scheduled for Friday (larger fedex delivery).

I think it's based on how busy they are - if they finish the other packages (paid shipping) then they move to the free-shipping orders. I've never had to wait the full 'estimated ship date' time.
Old 11-17-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had 2 orders with Amazon in the past 3 weeks and both were shipped on the 2nd working day using FSSS. One was a PS3 w/Uncharted and other is MW2. I expect to wait 3 days till it ships. On the PS3 order, I recd a week before Amazons expected delivery date.
Old 11-17-09, 08:43 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to get my amazon orders, even with free shipping, in about 3 days average. It ships from the state next to me. But the last two orders have taken forever, including a birthday present that took 11 days to arrive, they've switched to using presort mail and that's the cheapest and slowest way of sending anything. But its hard to complain when its free.

This reminds me, I'm still waiting for a few DVDs I ordered during the Halloween sale to arrive.
Old 11-17-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If you use the "free shipping" at Amazon you should go with the mindset of ordering it and then forgetting about it until it shows up on your doorstep. It may come quick, it may take awhile.

I'm good with that (it is free shipping, after all) especially because rarely do I order anything that is time-sensitive. I don't care if I get a DVD on release day, nor do I need that new book right away. If I do, there are other options available, either through Amazon or elsewhere.
Old 11-17-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

DVD Empire has free shipping and usually ships within an hour of your order(during the weekday before 3pm) so I don't know what is Amazon's problem. I think they(Amazon) are afraid people will receive their orders sooner with free shipping than paying for shipping thus taking away some of the profit they charge for shipping. I was going to order a blu-ray player from Amazon today so maybe I will receive it before XMAS.
Old 11-17-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
DVD Empire has free shipping and usually ships within an hour of your order(during the weekday before 3pm) so I don't know what is Amazon's problem.
You also tend to pay a whole lot more at DVD Empire.

The BD of UP is shown at $34.98 on their site, and it's $19.99 just about everywhere else (including Amazon).

The new Star Trek 3-disc BD is $29.99 at DVD Empire and $19.99 at Amazon.
You could pay something like an additional $3.80 at Amazon for "standard" shipping and still be money ahead.

But that's your call if you've got the $$, because it seems like you're already paying too much for DVD Empire's "free" shipping.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-17-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-17-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
You also tend to pay a whole lot more at DVD Empire.

The BD of UP is shown at $34.98 on their site, and it's $19.99 just about everywhere else (including Amazon).

The new Star Trek 3-disc BD is $29.99 at DVD Empire and $19.99 at Amazon.
You could pay something like an additional $3.80 at Amazon for "standard" shipping and still be money ahead.

But that's your call if you've got the $$, because it seems like you're already paying too much for DVD Empire's "free" shipping.
I only order there if I need to receive an order fast.
Old 11-17-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No need to defend your buying habits. It's your money. I was just pointing out that even by paying for 3-day shipping at Amazon it's still typically a whole lot cheaper.

And Amazon's "free" shipping - even if it takes an indeterminable amount of time - helps keep my out-of-pocket costs way down. And I'm all for that. If it's a gift, I'll pony up the shipping $$ or go to a neighborhood store.

For me, I can't imagine paying DVD Empire prices for a DVD. Ditto for Borders.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-17-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-17-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why wouldn't you just use Amazon and pay the shipping? In most cases that is still cheaper than Empire. I used to buy more from Empire but their prices are just way too high lately.
Old 11-17-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Why wouldn't you just use Amazon and pay the shipping? In most cases that is still cheaper than Empire. I used to buy more from Empire but their prices are just way too high lately.
I usually get the order within 2 days. I have no idea with Amazon(when its shipped or where its shipped from). Just ordered a blu-ray player and it should be here by next Monday so I guess its not too bad(w/free shipping).
Old 11-17-09, 10:21 AM

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm a prime customer, and with that everything ships FAST, but as I recall Amazon routinely sits on the free shipping items for regular customers. My guess is that this is to encourage you to "upgrade" to another method.
Old 11-17-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

From Amazons page: "Once your items are available, your order will be delivered within 5-9 business days."

So it could take about 2 weeks or more to reach you.
Old 11-19-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is weird how inconsistent the free shipping estimate dates are. I ordered two DVDs from Amazon this past Saturday morning - using the free shipping - and they arrived on Wednesday, despite an estimated arrival date of sometime next week.

Works for me!

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-19-09 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-19-09, 10:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts

In my experience, Amazon is always very conservative in their shipping estimates.

They'll say something like three weeks from the date I ordered, but then it shows up two days later.
Old 11-20-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 255 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
In my experience, Amazon is always very conservative in their shipping estimates.

They'll say something like three weeks from the date I ordered, but then it shows up two days later.
Exactly, I placed 3 orders on the 13th and 15th of November. All 3 of them shipped out on the 17th. Estimated delivery date said would be the here the 23rd-25th of Nov. All 3 orders arrived at the Main PO yesterday afternoon. I should be getting them all today. And remember I live in HI.

Got 3 more orders placed on the 17 & 18th. All shipped out on the 19th from NORTH LAS VEGAS NV. Estimated delivery date is 24-25th of Nov. My guess they will arrive on Monday.
Old 11-20-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 255 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Exactly, I placed 3 orders on the 13th and 15th of November. All 3 of them shipped out on the 17th. Estimated delivery date said would be the here the 23rd-25th of Nov. All 3 orders arrived at the Main PO yesterday afternoon. I should be getting them all today. And remember I live in HI.

Got 3 more orders placed on the 17 & 18th. All shipped out on the 19th from NORTH LAS VEGAS NV. Estimated delivery date is 24-25th of Nov. My guess they will arrive on Monday.
Ok my three orders arrived today. But this is the 2nd time in a row that Amazon.com has combined different orders in to one box. Today was 3 separate orders (5 blu-rays and 2 dvds). Last week they shipped 2 separate orders in one box by Fed-X. It was 2 blu-rays and a WD external HD. This is a first for me. I guess it makes sense since they are saving money.