Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

I don't know enough about Empire, but I can't see how DVD planet stays in business if they don't continue to offer trade-ins. They might have to be lower, maybe as low as Amazon and DVDEmpire (but hopefully not), but really why else would you shop there enough to keep them in business? Trade-ins are really the only thing that makes their ridiculously high prices worth paying for. Combine trade-ins, coupons, and a few yearly discounts (that are highly over-rated considering how much the jack up the prices) and you have something. Take away credit and pretty much every single store beats them big time.

Who knows how many people are out there with tons of credit right now and who are still shopping there? Maybe for that reason and to adjust prices is why the've closed up shop for a while.

I still can't fathom how DVDplanet competes without the store credit or lowering their prices.
Old 11-03-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Originally Posted by pilot

I am not sure if one is able to combine it with the "store credit" type they're offering for selling them dvds.
I haven't used DVD Empire in a couple of years, but you could use the discounts with the store credit. Dunno is that is still the case but I don't see why they would change the policy. That said...

I'm only sitting on ~ $100 in credit at the Planet and plan to burn it (+ throw some cash their way) on three Melville Criterions, Z Criterion and two X-Files seasons. Hoping - and waiting - for a November sale. We'll see.

They've done this several times in the past and have always come back online. Benefit of the doubt is always given here.
Old 11-05-09, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spot-checked a few of mine on DVDempire. I'll wait for the Planet.
Old 11-05-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Trade-ins are really the only thing that makes their ridiculously high prices worth paying for.
Even given that, I haven't found trade-ins to be worth it for awhile. Every time I look up a title it is at least a couple/few dollars more than elsewhere. Any additional trade-in credit immediately turns in to a loss given that (for the stuff I seem to want anyway.. BD).
Old 11-06-09, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RobCA
I've gotten rid of a lot of my DVDs lately, selling them to Newtownvideo.com and Amazon, but I had about 30 or so left that those sites are either not buying, or paying next to nothing for, so I was going to try selling them to DVDPlanet. When I found out their quote machine would be down for another two months, I decided to try SecondSpin.com instead. I've sold to them in the past, but every time I checked their prices lately, it seemed like they were only paying 5 or 10 cents per DVD. But to my surprise, some of their prices were actually pretty damn good. I sold them all but a few of the DVDs I had left to get rid of, and for most of them, the prices averaged about $3.00 per DVD, which was a lot more than I was expecting. Plus I like that they'll send me a check, instead of giving store credit like DVDPlanet, and they even reimburse part of your shipping. I'll definitely have to keep them in mind for the future.

Rob
Getting my second batch for SecondSpin ready this weekend. They paid me a good amount last time for a bunch of crap DVDs.
Old 11-06-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by abintra
Even given that, I haven't found trade-ins to be worth it for awhile. Every time I look up a title it is at least a couple/few dollars more than elsewhere. Any additional trade-in credit immediately turns in to a loss given that (for the stuff I seem to want anyway.. BD).
What else are you going to do? Trade-ins for $2 of your old SD stuff is better than throwing it away.

I have way too many items on SD that haven't been released on BD yet, so while I'm not happy with the trade-ins getting so low, I'd still rather they be around a help me a little bit with a free couple of BDs now and then.

My favorite part about Planet was they would accept a title even if it wasn't the exact one shown. If they showed $4 for, say, the regular Die Hard and had no listing for the 5 star, if you sent it the 5 star, they'd still take it.

If DVDPlanet doesn't come back at the posted date, I really have to send in some stuff to Amazon and Empire. I just have stacks of dvds that need to go and will only go down in value the longer I hold onto them.
Old 11-06-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What else are you going to do? Trade-ins for $2 of your old SD stuff is better than throwing it away.
Better than nothing. Still, if you end up paying $2 more for a title with the credit, it is nothing.

I end up selling mine to friends, family, co-workers or donating/giving them away if they aren't worth anything and I no longer want them.
Old 11-06-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by abintra
Better than nothing. Still, if you end up paying $2 more for a title with the credit, it is nothing.

I end up selling mine to friends, family, co-workers or donating/giving them away if they aren't worth anything and I no longer want them.

Would do you mean more? If I have 30 SD dvds and I trade them into a place, they will pay me "X" amount of dollars in credit. So, say, it's Planet or Empire where the prices are high.

If I have $50 in credit and buy 2 BD for $25 each with free shipping, they're free. Money I never have to spend. Now, sure Amazon may be selling the same BDs for $18 instead of $25, but that's still $36 out of my pocket.

I certainly won't send stuff in for 10 cents or something, but even with the batch I have now, only 5 out of 50 were either not being purchased or were too low to bother. And that's with Planet down, where I might not only get better prices, but I might be able to get those other titles traded in.

I'm guessing I might have 2 or 3 in the end that can't go back and I'd either give them away or maybe bring them to a record store and maybe buy a used cd or something.

Gotta find some way to make those old SD pay off a little bit. Wouldn't hurt if the studios released a lot more catalogs next year on BD.

I'm just not willing to send in a ton (or most) of my SD collection and just wait for their BD release even if there's "talk" about a BD release coming. I've already sold and repurchased Pulp Fiction, Kingpin, and Rounders.
Old 01-04-10, 12:25 PM

All right - where's that stinkin' quote machine?!?!?!
Old 01-05-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
All right - where's that stinkin' quote machine?!?!?!
I was looking to use the quote machine today myself & found out it is out of commision still.
Old 01-05-10, 05:31 PM
Defunct Account

Yep, same here. IIRC it was late coming up the last time it was down too.
Old 01-05-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called dvdplanet this morning to inquire and was told I wasn't the first to ask about the status of their quote machine. The drone then went to a supervisor, who stated it was supposed to be up...so I guess we'll see shortly.
Old 01-05-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Posted over in bargains...

yep, they told me today the opposite of what they told me yesterday. the guy said don't expect it to be up anytime soon. he said he expects the date will either be changed again or taken off their [site?] there (edited) completely.

can't wait any longer. will have to make the best of what empire and amazon are offering to unload.
Look, I love and support the Planet as often as I can... But, I'm leaning towards being with the dolphin on this one. Dunno what to think at this point but I'll probably go elsewhere. I have a stack of 50 or so to move and I'm getting out while I can still get out. The market seems to be near death for used DVDs...

College classes start back here in a week or so... What I can't dump by then goes in a box marked free DVDs and placed out in the open for the students.

Ditto the

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 01-05-10 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
College classes start back here in a week or so... What I can't dump by then goes in a box marked free DVDs and placed out in the open for the students.
You'll have to give me an address and a heads up and I'll have to make a trip through Lexington.
Old 01-05-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
You'll have to give me an address and a heads up and I'll have to make a trip through Lexington.

UK der... Go fish.

late edit: ha! - dolphinboy - I think I might have spotted what you did thare... Or, maybe not.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 01-05-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 03:01 PM

Offline until further notice. I would say until hell freezes over but that's about to happen down here in Texas. Damn.
Old 01-06-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

this thread is not a place for those who wish to buy dvds from individuals to post. thank you.
Old 01-09-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: DvdPlanet has closed down there used buying progam until ?!?!?!?! (never again?)

Wow, I'm glad I got out of the Planet when I did. There's no way I'd be keeping any credit there at this point. Thankfully i'm pretty much done with the huge trade-in shipments.