Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

eBay sucks even more now for sellers (if that was even possible)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like I'm out as seller soon.

# Rewards for sellers delivering great buyer experiences

* PowerSeller program to include more sellers
- New eBay Top-rated seller status coming in October
- Highest discounts and rewards go to Top-rated sellers
- Sellers of more sizes can qualify

* New way to look at DSRs
- Avoid low DSRs (1s and 2s)
- Only domestic DSRs count
- Updates to Seller Dashboard to monitor your status

* New minimum standards for all sellers
- New minimum standard for all eBay sellers
- New Selling Practices policy
- Buyer charges for shipping insurance no longer allowed

# Enhanced search presents more relevant listings

* Updates to Best Match sort order
- Changing title or price no longer resets recent sales (started end of July)
- Best Match considers impressions (end of September)
- Single quantity and newly listed items get impressions upfront (end of September)
- Auction-style listings still get a boost as they are about to end
- New Search Visibility tool to evaluate your listings' performance (end of September)

* Updates to Best Match for Antiques, Art, Coins & Paper Money, Collectibles, Dolls & Bears, Entertainment Memorabilia, Pottery & Glass, Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop, Stamps, and Toys & Hobbies
- Auction-style
- Fixed Price listings

* Other search updates
- Buy It Now price for Auction-style must be at least 10% higher than auction start price
- Some listing features to be discontinued
- Featured First for Top-rated sellers only
- Product pages rolling out to more buyers; list with product details
- Shared product pictures can give you exposure or you can opt out by September 1

# Easier, more profitable selling on eBay

* Streamlined dispute process
- Unpaid items: streamlined process, faster recourse
- New automated option blocks negative buyer feedback
- eBay dispute resolution for buyer claims expanded

* Streamlined buyer communications
- My Messages updates: see the whole thread
- More options for responding to buyers
- User identity kept anonymous until transaction complete
- Post-transaction emails streamlined

* Shipping updates
- More control over international ship-to locations
- Only domestic DSRs count
- Upload tracking information for more carriers

* Editing listings made easy
- Now update multi-quantity listings with a sale
- Make bulk edits to more fields and listing descriptions

* More ways to boost efficiency
- New Selling Manager Applications--try them free now!
- Category and Item Specifics changes consolidated with the rest of updates
- Stores subscribers can now put all Fixed Price listings on vacation
The one that gets me is Insurance -
The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.
Screw that. Almost 900 feedbacks and I won't be selling with them anymore. I didn't know eBay was like Amazon and was 'expected'. Its a virtual fucking garage sale!
Old 09-15-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: eBay sucks even more now for sellers (if that was even possible)

Yeah - buyer's being unhappy is why Ebay isn't doing well. Are they stupid? Maybe it's got something to do with them chasing off many, many small to medium sellers (like myself) with their first round of idiotic policy changes. I haven't sold anything there for a long time. And I have a 3000+ 100% rating. Can't wait for that site to fail and have something better take its place.
Old 09-16-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah - buyer's being unhappy is why Ebay isn't doing well. Are they stupid? Maybe it's got something to do with them chasing off many, many small to medium sellers (like myself) with their first round of idiotic policy changes. I haven't sold anything there for a long time. And I have a 3000+ 100% rating. Can't wait for that site to fail and have something better take its place.
agreed
Old 09-16-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I too am done with ebay but had I not been I probably would of now.
Old 09-16-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a seller (I actually quit buying on ebay years ago) but those points in bold are moronic.

Sounds like the owners want Ebay to be a "store" and not an auction site.

Another sign Ebay's best years are behind it.
Old 09-16-09, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't sold on ebay in almost 2 years. There are so many people unhappy with ebay right now that I don't understand why someone isn't starting up a prominent new auction site. They'd likely make a killing.
Old 09-16-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am selling less and less about 6-12 months ago I had about 50 items for sale I currently have about 25-30, the profit margin is slimmer and slimmer which doesnt allow me to flip alot of things on there. Im about 20 feedbacks away from 1000
Old 09-16-09, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Im at almost 900 feedback and 99% done with eBay except for the occasional item I might sell.

As a buyer, I can essentially get anything, when it arrives claim not as described, get my money back and keep the item. Yay!
Old 09-16-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Another nail in the coffin.
Old 09-16-09, 06:20 PM

Is Google planning anything? I had heard they were a couple years ago... Now would be a good time. Looks like a lot of angry (but experienced) sellers would jump on it.
Old 09-16-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think i'm also done with eBay soon. They really have fallen pretty hard over the past year or two.
Old 09-16-09, 07:05 PM

Add me to the list of long-time sellers who no longer bother. Close to 1000 feedback, member since '98. Haven't sold on there in at least a year. Not worth the hassle.
Old 09-16-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I swore off eBay when I got hosed when selling a textbook in May of 2008. Haven't used it since. The problem here is dishonest people and how eBay continues to support them moreso than sellers. A big beef I have is the dishonesty; people want something for nothing. That or they get something and claim its busted when its not. That's just how it is and unfortunately I think PayPal disputes are moot now since 99% of the time, they'll side with the buyer no matter how ridiculous.

I've been an eBay member since 1999 and haven't used it overall in about a year. My last transaction was a purchase last October. Haven't had a need for it since then.
Old 09-16-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I swore off eBay when I got hosed when selling a textbook in May of 2008. Haven't used it since. The problem here is dishonest people and how eBay continues to support them moreso than sellers. A big beef I have is the dishonesty; people want something for nothing. That or they get something and claim its busted when its not. That's just how it is and unfortunately I think PayPal disputes are moot now since 99% of the time, they'll side with the buyer no matter how ridiculous.

I've been an eBay member since 1999 and haven't used it overall in about a year. My last transaction was a purchase last October. Haven't had a need for it since then.
This is a huge part of the problem. Earlier this year I bought a pair of expensive Nike's for a friend and what we recieved were cheap, counterfeits from China (the package was even delivered from china, while the auction was based in Seattle). There was nothing even close to authentic on these shoes (Michael Jordan had a beer belly!) and we gave photos of what we recieved, including all packing materials, and photos of what we should have recieved, along with how the ebay member was no longer signed up, and we lost a $200 auction (my friends money as I was just helping him buy them) just because we received a pair of shoes. It made no difference to Paypal if they were the right shoes, let alone authentic.
Old 09-17-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew when I started hearing about "chargebacks" and whatnot that PayPal wasn't any good.

People say "its easy and convenient" and I say "I'll never have to tell a story about how someone ripped me off thanks to Paypal's stupid policies."
Old 09-17-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have never used ebay, and honestly the reason is because I'm afraid I will sell something and some unscrupulous person will say it's broken or something and I'm screwed out of money and my item
Old 09-17-09, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ebay was a better place circa 2000. Before dumb feedback changes, paypal only, and those stupid sniper bidding bots.

Having some website/bot bid for you at the last second took away the thrill of waiting to see if you won your item for a good price or not.
Old 09-17-09, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far i'm satisfied both as a buyer and a seller.
Old 09-17-09, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem is, as someone stated earlier, that ebay is suffering from an identity crisis. Are they an e-commerce site? A virtual garage sale/flea market? The whole appeal of the site was the ability to take old stuff from around the house and get more for it than you would at a local garage sale, since you were exposing your items to a worldwide audience. Now, for many people, it's just not worth the hassle.
Old 09-17-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
The problem is, as someone stated earlier, that ebay is suffering from an identity crisis. Are they an e-commerce site? A virtual garage sale/flea market? The whole appeal of the site was the ability to take old stuff from around the house and get more for it than you would at a local garage sale, since you were exposing your items to a worldwide audience. Now, for many people, it's just not worth the hassle.
Here's how I see the history of Ebay:

Ebay gets very popular as a great way to sell and buy collectibles

Mega sellers swarm in selling lots of retail junk clogging up the system

Ebay gets greedy and constantly raises fees, changing rules, all designed to put more money in their pocket, less in the sellers

Sellers leave and flock to Amazon

Ebay tries to mimic Amazon with Ebay Express, a total failure

Ebay forces sellers to only accept paypal, an act that enrages many people

Ebay continues to raise fees.

In a desperate attempt to keep business, Ebay totally revamps their website, procedures which only creates more clutter, mess and confusion.

I stopped selling mainly because the listing fees, FVF, and paypal fees were higher than the big 15% cut that Amazon takes. In the good ole days, you could cope with high up front fees because auctions often would sell at a better than average price. Not anymore. Buyers have other choices now.

Last edited by jeffbase34; 09-17-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ebay has added a bunch of crappy rules concerning buyers. But this is (perhaps the only) one I actually agree with.
Old 09-17-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinalGuffman
Is Google planning anything? I had heard they were a couple years ago... Now would be a good time. Looks like a lot of angry (but experienced) sellers would jump on it.
I can't see there being another Ebay the way it used to be. I remember when I first started going to Ebay I would just browse around checking out whatever crap people had thrown up there. Maybe I would pick up an old game I was longing to play. Now, I can't imagine doing that.

Any new site that comes up, is going to run into the same scenarios Ebay did, only much faster. Powersellers will use it as a storefront, counterfeiters will be everywhere, and management will be indifferent as long as the fees roll in. They aren't that interested in policing. If I want to buy a DVD, I shouldn't have to scour to try and determine if it's legit.
Old 09-18-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm not a seller but don't these new rules favor more dishonest people claiming that they didn't receive their item or other complaints. I've purchased on ebay once since the last year (and that's only because I had extra paypal money in the account). If you're purchasing from ebay, buyer beware.
Old 09-18-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

There are a handful of sellers I've dealt with in the past who I'd love to have been able to screw over in the above-described manner.

I quit buying on eBay years ago because I was tired of sellers sending me items that were not as described, over-graded, reeking of cigarette smoke, or damaged because they couldn't bother to properly package them for the tender mercies of the USPS. And there's no way to tell the good sellers from the bad. Even sellers with 1000+ 100% feedbacks would send me "like new" books and DVDs that looked they were run over by a lawnmower.
Old 09-18-09, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^^^^ Excellent post, Josh!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.