Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

Old 10-28-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Amazon using "A1 International for Prime" - Huh?

The $10 surprised the hell out of me, honestly. I wasn't expecting that at all. Aside from that, it was pretty much the standard form letter. They said in it that they use UPS, FedEx, OnTrac, or A1 Courier Service to deliver for Prime. OnTrac and A1 apparently don't serve RI though so I'm extremely baffled as to who has my package,lol. The tracking number that had appeared is no longer there so I'm in the dark.
Old 10-28-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received the first package from FedEx. A second e-mail from Amazon is claiming that there is an error with the tracking information on the second item. Well, no shit. I've got to wait until the end of the day tomorrow to see if it arrives. I'm not pleased about having to wait the extra day because I work late on Thursdays and now I have to dump the problem in my wife's lap.
Old 10-29-09, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first two A1 experiences have been fantastic. I'm not a Prime member and had not ordered from Amazon in about a year prior to this week's Gold Box deals.

1)Ordered the complete Angel around 4AM CST on the 26th, received the package on the 27th. Left note on door asking for package to be left inside poor. A1 Delivery person complied.
2) Ordered Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection around 4:45AM CST on the 28th, and received it on the 29th. A1 guy rang bell, and I met him at the door. He was wearing red jacket (didn't notice if it was company outfit or personal) and drove normal car.

Today's delivery was a bit after noon, and apparently so was the 1st delivery. I used the free super saver shipping on both orders, so getting free overnight delivery on each was very unexpected. I'm in Chicago, and both orders originated in Chicago, which helped. In the past, most of my Amazon orders originated on the West Coast. I wonder if Amazon has a huge warehouse here, or if they just spread around Gold Box products beforehand.
Old 10-30-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Consider yourself lucky, and brace for the inevitable problem. Some of these couriers are just keeping this stuff and saying it's delivered because they know Amazon will reship. How do they know? Because Amazon uses them to ship it again!
Old 10-30-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My item from "Unknown" never arrived. I'm thinking Amazon's tracking error is their way of saying that it never shipped or got lost immediately. At any rate, they've reshipped and upgraded to one-day shipping for me so I should be seeing it come Monday.
Old 10-30-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DHL was what got me to not sign up for Prime in the first place. When Amazon stopped using DHL, I signed right up. If they start using DHL again, or if I see any of this A1 business, that will be it for me, I will cancel it.
Old 10-30-09, 07:41 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think you will be seeing DHL again unless you live outside the USA. DHL no longer exists in the USA. (unless something has changed that I have did not hear about)
Old 10-30-09, 07:50 PM

I hope that is true about DHL, but I have unfortunately seen a couple of their trucks on the road recently.

It's not just DHL though, I will pretty much refuse a package from anyone other than UPS or FedEX.
Old 11-10-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
My recent order from Amazon is coming from ONTRAC.

http://www.ontrac.com/

First time i've seen of it and I order a ton of stuff from Amazon
An order just shipped and is being delivered by these guys. It should arrive at my work tomorrow or the next, so hopefully they are reliable.
Old 11-10-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for a bit of closure regarding the issues I was having...
my second item did arrive on Monday November 2nd, as promised. It arrived via UPS. The "Unknown" item was somehow mislabeled on their end and was returned to them as undeliverable. I was reimbursed the original $14.99 and wound up getting the item completely free of charge. I'm assuming it was a mistake so I sent them an e-mail regarding the issue and never heard back. Guess it worked out pretty well for me.
Old 11-11-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My order was delivered a day early which is nice. Of course, today is a holiday so I'm off of work. I'm curious as to whether it was signed for or if it was left outside.
Old 11-26-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Time for a bit of closure regarding the issues I was having...
my second item did arrive on Monday November 2nd, as promised. It arrived via UPS. The "Unknown" item was somehow mislabeled on their end and was returned to them as undeliverable. I was reimbursed the original $14.99 and wound up getting the item completely free of charge. I'm assuming it was a mistake so I sent them an e-mail regarding the issue and never heard back. Guess it worked out pretty well for me.
Took them a few weeks but they finally got back to me and charged me the $14.99. For a minute there I was thinking they didn't want it,lol.
Old 12-04-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't posted on DVDTalk in a couple of years, but I did a google search today and found this thread.

I ordered Wii Sports Resort for my mom for Christmas and Wii Fit Plus for myself. I put the order on Super Saver because I didn't need the stuff immediately and I've noticed that Amazon has been throttling packages lately.

Anyhow, Wii Sports Resort shipped on Wednesday (which I thought was really fast for Super Saver) and Fit Plus was on backorder. I checked my email today because I forgot about the package and was puzzled by the A1 Courier Services so I did the tracking.

According to their piss poor tracking - now available on Amazon's site BTW - it was delivered on Wednesday at 8pm. I was home Wednesday night, they did not deliver it.

I called up a CSR today and he said, "Oh no, not A1 again..." and tried to conference call them to ask about shipping. First we got a voicemail box since the place didn't open until 8:30, then we got a surly woman on the line. As soon as she got on the line she proceeded to tell me that 2(!!) delivery attempts had been made and now it was going to be turned over to the post office.

I tried to stop her and tell her, "NOPE! NO DELIVERIES WERE MADE!" But she then said, "Listen! You either treat me with respect or I will end this call." She then proceeded to make long-winded statements and then get angry if I tried to interject. I know it wasn't polite, but how am I supposed to get a word in edgewise?

I asked if they leave notification stickers.

"Well yes, but if they should happen to fall of the door we can't be held responsible."

"And you only do it for the first attempt?"

"Yes"

"And you only make 2 delivery attempts and then it goes to the post office?"

"Yeah"

"And what if it still doesn't get delivered?"

"Call Amazon, it's not our problem once we give it to the post office. People act like it's such a catastrophe when they don't get their packages."

And there you have it, they don't care if you get their package. YOU'RE not A-1 customer, Amazon is. They already got Amazon's money.

Eventually, she said she could schedule another delivery today (what a saint!). But, she couldn't tell me when it would be delivered. So, I took today off.

The Amazon CSR apologized profusely after we got off the phone with A1. I told him to cancel by backordered Wii Fit. I told him I have a Kindle, I love Amazon, but I can't keep ordering stuff if it's not going to come to me. He understood and cancelled the item.

Shortly after I got a call from Philadelphia Express (the local subcontractor of A1) the guy explained that it was out by the airport and couldn't be delivered until after 4 since it needed to be reloaded onto the truck. He seemed nice and reassured me that he was looking at the package while we were on the phone.

Cut to 4:25. I call up Philadelphia Express and ask what is going on. He says the item was placed in the driver's bin and that the driver went downtown around 4. He then put me on hold so he can radio to the driver for an ETA. Once he comes back, the sound of his voice is less sure, less deliberate.

"Well, he's routing his deliveries right now (Wait didn't he ALREADY LEAVE?) and says it will be between 4 and 8."

I got angry again, just as as angry as when the A1 rep gave me the runaround.

"Well, I have a hard time believing you. You say that you've tried to deliver it and yet I have no evidence. *SOUND OF CAR HORNS* Hear that? I'm outside. I want to be out here to show him how to find my hard-to-find apartment!"

"Fine! How about I have the driver call when he's about to deliver?"

"Fine, whatever. It doesn't matter."

"I understand you want this now! Call us if it's not delivered. I told the driver your package is important and call everyone when he's about to deliver."

"Gee, thanks."

So here I am waiting for a deliveryman that may never come. It's a battle of words, essentially. I don't really care about getting it. I just care about people being honest and at least TRYING.

What a mess.
Old 12-04-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It just got delivered. By a bike messenger.

He placed it on the stoop of the apartment building and left.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 12-04-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 06:57 PM

Twice now A1 has left my Amazon order out in the middle of the driveway - not 10 feet from the front porch and once it was a rainy day. I've complained to Amazon both times. If it happens again, I'm done with Amazon.
Old 11-09-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, my last four Prime/2-day free shipping orders have come in 1 day, via UPS.

Every order, though, I fear a return to A1...
Old 11-09-10, 02:49 PM

We need to stop talking about A1. It's makes me hungry.
Old 11-20-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my first experience with A1 today and other than an incredibly sketchy looking guy in an equally sketchy car there were no problems. I saw him pull up and get out, knocked on the door and left it inbetween the storm door and main door.

Not a service I'll be really excited about getting deliveries from just due to their appearance which obviously makes you a bit wary, but if they continue to deliver things successfully and on time it'll be okay.
Old 01-28-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 929 Likes on 645 Posts

Well, I may have had my first bad Amazon encounter. I have prime and I paid an extra $3.99 for the local delivery option today. It ends up being A1 as the delivery option and I remember this thread, so I'm dreading the transaction. So far, it's past 7pm my time and the item hasn't shown up. I will give them until 8pm and then I call Amazon. What a joke.
Old 01-28-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 929 Likes on 645 Posts

and of course i go outside and it's sitting on my porch. i was just out there like 30 minutes ago. ring the bell you fucking lazy dicks!