Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Selling at Secondspin.com?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-26-09, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checking some of these threads and havent really seen my question answerd.

For anyone who has sold to this company can you tell me your experience? Did you send everything together or in smaller packages? Did you have any extra postage expenses like insurance or certified mail? Did you experience any defect issues or are they pretty leaniant? Did you have any problems getting defect movies back?

Im really looking forward to my Secondspin sale, they seem to be giving me the best offer on my dvds, Ive tried online and locally. But I am a little nervous sending something in the mail and the item possibly not getting there or anything like that. So any advice or insight would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-09, 02:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Selling at Secondspin.com?

I've never had a problem with them. I have always sent my items in one large package via media mail, but I would insure it just in case. I had 1 item rejected for scratches out of 100 and they mailed it back to me at no cost, though the web site clearly says they will not do that. Get ready for someone to post a link to an older thread with the same question.
Old 05-02-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Secondspin, they have excellent customer service and most of the stuff I have received from there have been in brand new condition. However, I still wonder how some things get through quality control. I received a cd that was pretty scratched up and it also had a scratch on the top, but it plays just fine. One other time I received a dvd in which the first disc was missing, when I told them about it they were very nice and credited me back my money.
Old 05-03-09, 12:50 AM

well I gave it a shot and sold them some cd's first, if all goes well then Ill send them my dvd's.
Old 05-03-09, 10:21 AM

Poor experience here (and quite possibly will never use Secondspin to sell unwanted items).

First time selling to them and I get rejected. Sent in only two CDs (same exact ones) and was told something along the lines of "it wasn't for personal use" despite having been approved by email to send both in (email specified that I was to receive approximately $36.00 dollars in credit which obviously never manifested).

Note, it was my first time trying to sell anything to them.
Old 05-05-09, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by strawberry99
Poor experience here (and quite possibly will never use Secondspin to sell unwanted items).

First time selling to them and I get rejected. Sent in only two CDs (same exact ones) and was told something along the lines of "it wasn't for personal use" despite having been approved by email to send both in (email specified that I was to receive approximately $36.00 dollars in credit which obviously never manifested).

Note, it was my first time trying to sell anything to them.
I don't think I understand what happened here.
Old 05-06-09, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
I don't think I understand what happened here.
Clarification. Let me restate it like so.

1. I had two of the same exact CDs I didn't want any longer.
2. I entered my "sell" order on secondspin.com's website (http://www.secondspin.com/sell.jsp)
3. I received an online site confirmation as well as an email confirmation that secondspin will take both of my CDs and give me approximately $36.00 dollars in credit ($18.00/each).
4. Upon secondspin receiving both CDs, I get an email that denied both items. They were in excellent condition. The condition of the CDs were not the problem. The problem was that what I sent in apparently was along the lines of "not for personnel use, but for resale purposes"
5. On the same day getting denied, I rechecked their online resale price for both CDs and it has dropped from $18.00/each to $3.00/each.
6. For whatever reason, apparently what I sent in conflicts with their "policy". Apparently sending in two of the same items constitute "intent of resale [purposes]" even though the second bullet point under the "Item Acceptance" specifies that it's okay to send in two copies of the same title.
7. Note, this was also my first time "selling" anything to secondspin. And will probably be my last.
8. They sent me back both of the CDs after 1 - 2 months time. It took so long because apparently they "forgot" to send it back to me.

Under their "Item Acceptance:" Policy:

-Prices offered on our site are for items acquired for personal enjoyment use only. “Personal enjoyment use” refers to items acquired with the intent of listening, playing, or watching by an individual. Sorry, prices are not valid for overstocked items, excess business inventory items, items acquired with the intent of resale or items acquired for any other purpose.

-Limit of two copies per title per customer. (if you'd like us to make an exception, please email us.) This does not override the Personal Enjoyment policy listed above. We understand that you may occasionally have a duplicate copy. If you have quantities of a large number of the items you are selling, we do not consider the items to be of “personal enjoyment use” and you need to contact us before sending the items to us. "

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 05-06-09 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Clarification. Let me restate it like so.
Sounds to me like they had it priced wrong on their website ($18 is quite high for a single cd) and are trying to do whatever they can to get out of the sale. You obviously pointed the price mistake out to them, which they immediately changed to $3. They made the mistake and should just eat the cost and pay you. It all sounds pretty shady on their part.
Old 05-06-09, 10:54 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had no problems with them at all. I do believe they are a little picky when it comes to scratches since I have had one or two discs returned to me that only had a tiny scratch on each.

Of course that bodes well for buyers on this site since they know they'll probably get unscratched used discs.

BTW: They sent the discs back to me postage paid.
Old 05-06-09, 10:58 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

-Prices offered on our site are for items acquired for personal enjoyment use only. “Personal enjoyment use” refers to items acquired with the intent of listening, playing, or watching by an individual.
I had this thrown at me once, but it was my own fault. I accidentally included one of those CDs marked "Not For Resale" in a batch of discs I send in. You know... the ones that are sent out free to reviewers and radio stations.

Not sure if that's what happened in Strawberry99's case, but you can rest assured that it will get rejected if it is marked "Not For Resale".
Old 05-06-09, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rich-y
I had this thrown at me once, but it was my own fault. I accidentally included one of those CDs marked "Not For Resale" in a batch of discs I send in. You know... the ones that are sent out free to reviewers and radio stations.

Not sure if that's what happened in Strawberry99's case, but you can rest assured that it will get rejected if it is marked "Not For Resale".

Another clarification is in order.

Nope, it wasn't marked as such in any way, shape or form. It was not a promotional kind, it was not a freebie either. It was a retail ready CD. The barcode was intact with no alterations.
Old 05-07-09, 02:05 AM

Awesome, I got my confirmation from my first order today, they accepted all of my order and gave me the correct quote plus shipping reimbursement. Ill definately be sending some dvd's now!
Old 05-07-09, 02:19 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've sold to them 3-5 times and been very happy with the results. None of my DVDs/Blu-rays have been rejected - all were in excellent condition. I send media mail and add delivery receipt (tracking?) for about 75 cents just so that I know when it arrives (peace of mind). Even with media mail it has sometimes traveled the 100 miles up to Long Beach in just a day - 2 max. The check usually gets sent about a week after they receive the package. I'd say the package is processed within 2 days of receiving it and a few more days to process the check.
Old 07-06-09, 01:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So I have a bunch of DVDs I want to sell...SecondSpin is giving me a higher value compared to Spun, but SS makes me pay shipping to them. Since I'm in California do you think this is a good idea (they would be shipped via Media Mail).
Old 07-07-09, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Well, sent in about 40 DVDs and got $130 Paypal cash. Media Mail for 15 pounds was $10 and they will credit me $5 back when they get it. Not bad.
Old 07-14-09, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well, sent in about 40 DVDs and got $130 Paypal cash. Media Mail for 15 pounds was $10 and they will credit me $5 back when they get it. Not bad.
They confirmed what they got and will be sending me the money via Paypal in a few days. Rejected two items because of scratches (which I assumed they would, they were pretty bad). No idea if they are going to ship them back free of charge though.
Old 07-14-09, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would also recommend Newtownvideo.com. I have compared between secondspin and newtownvideo and always seem to get more money back from newtownvideo.
Old 07-29-09, 07:33 PM

I got the same horrible experience as Strawberry. First time selling them my mint condition DVD boxsets. Got quoted online for about 10 different titles with one being duplicate. Sent them in via USPS media which cost me about $5 with delivery confirmation. It took them 2 weeks to notify me that all my titles were rejected because of some BS reasons like Strawberry stated. Now I'm waiting for them to return my DVDs. Cost me freaking $ shipping to them for nothing. This will be my first and absolute my last from dealing with them. I was thinking of buying something from their website, but after all this BS, they won't have a single cent from me. I'm not going to recommend my friends or anyone I know to deal with this freaking scam they call a business. Deal with them at your own risk. Better yet, just stay away.
Old 08-11-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Sold some stuff today for a nice sum. Noticed that the shipping address is Blowitoutahere's mailing address since I received my Phantom of the Paradise BD from them today. I guess they're the same?
Old 08-13-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sold some stuff today for a nice sum. Noticed that the shipping address is Blowitoutahere's mailing address since I received my Phantom of the Paradise BD from them today. I guess they're the same?
Wouldn't surprise me. They're pretty much the same as Wherehouse & FYE. I wonder if Redtagmarket and Moviemars are connected too.
Old 08-17-14, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Wouldn't surprise me. They're pretty much the same as Wherehouse & FYE. I wonder if Redtagmarket and Moviemars are connected too.
I know for a fact that FYE, Wherehouse and SecondSpin are all owned by TransWorld Entertainment and they share the same online inventory. I'm not sure about Redtagmarket or Moviemars.

In terms of selling to SecondSpin, I've had pretty decent luck, for the most part. What I still can't wrap my head around, however, is the fact that they deduct $0.35 from your selling total for each cracked or damaged jewel case. I realize that they need to replace cases, and that's fine - but if you're going to do that, why not deduct for damaged cases when you sell to their retail stores as opposed to deducting when you sell to their website(s)? Because more often than not, cases tend to crack in the mail. Every time I order from them it's almost a guarantee that some jewel cases will arrive cracked. It happens, and I replace the jewel case. As long as the disc is in good condition (which is almost 100% of the time), I couldn't care less. It's just strange that they're deducting money from something we don't have control over. Annoying, but the overall process is pretty convenient. Plus their customer service has always been good to me, so it is what it is I guess.
Old 08-17-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

MovieMars and its variants are an international distributor operating out of North Carolina, though they've been much less aggressive in the past year or two. I've never seen anything they are connected to the Transworld entity.
Old 09-16-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Secondspin has no customer service phone number. They screwed up the inspection of my most recent trade in. I've sent 2 emails. Whoever inspected my DVDs rejected 3 of them because they claim "missing covers." Um, no. I mailed all the covers. The inspector missed them. I hope they remedy this so I can get my proper DVD credit + shipping reimbursement credit. Otherwise this will be the last time I deal with Secondspin.