Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Question

Old 03-06-09, 02:44 PM

Amazon Question

I have one too...why would amazon fulfill an order for a 3rd-party seller when amazon doesn't have the item instock itself? There is a dvd that I would like to buy but amazon doesn't have it. Well one of the 3rd-party sellers has it new but it says that the fulfillment is from amazon
Old 03-06-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Amazon Question

They are probably required to keep their stock separate, for inventory purposes.
Old 03-07-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey civic, if i understand your question right, its prolly one of them cases where a3rd party amazon seller has actually sent in his/her stuff to amazon. not exactly sure of the details behind this, but many 3rd party sellers are actually doing this - they send in stock to amazon, amazon puts there listing higher up to be more visible, and the buyer gets free shipping over $25.
Old 03-08-09, 05:16 AM

hey thanks for the replies. both of those answers make sense to me. I try to order from amazon only as much as possible but if there is a shop that has their orders fulfilled by amazon, i won't hesitate to use them.
Old 03-08-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
hey civic, if i understand your question right, its prolly one of them cases where a3rd party amazon seller has actually sent in his/her stuff to amazon. not exactly sure of the details behind this, but many 3rd party sellers are actually doing this - they send in stock to amazon, amazon puts there listing higher up to be more visible, and the buyer gets free shipping over $25.
I've never looked into that type of thing before....does this allow the seller to make more money? Because one thing that I never really cared for amazon.com was the flat 2.98 shipping charges for what you sell, regardless of the size of the item. I sold some box sets on there a few years back and they certainly were not 2.98 for me to mail out. But it's an intriguing idea of shipping everything I want to sell to amazon.com in one box and reduce my shipping charges.
Old 03-08-09, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk View Post
They are probably required to keep their stock separate, for inventory purposes.
That definitely makes sense.
Old 03-08-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
I've never looked into that type of thing before....does this allow the seller to make more money? Because one thing that I never really cared for amazon.com was the flat 2.98 shipping charges for what you sell, regardless of the size of the item. I sold some box sets on there a few years back and they certainly were not 2.98 for me to mail out. But it's an intriguing idea of shipping everything I want to sell to amazon.com in one box and reduce my shipping charges.
im unsure of the details, but i think it works more or less like what you described above. im guessing you dont get anything for shipping (not even that measely $2.98 lol) but then again, you dont have to ship individually either.

in any case, if you are selling a big and heavy dvd on amazon, just jack up the price to compensate for the extra shipping costs, you silly :wink:
Old 03-08-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
in any case, if you are selling a big and heavy dvd on amazon, just jack up the price to compensate for the extra shipping costs, you silly :wink:
Well, you don't want to price yourself too far out of range of your competition either.

The good thing on the sets I sold I got them back in the day when Blockbuster could preorder product and when it got entered in the system it was for a default 26.99. Some of you long time readers on here may recall the SCTV sets and Star Trek Voyager seasons I clued you in to preorder for 26.99. There were some sets I bought at that insanely low price...Taxi's three season set and however many seasons of Frasier were out at that time in one massive set and same with Cheers...and sold them online so I surely made up any extra shipping charges since I got them for such a low price.

Geez, I wonder why Blockbuster doesn't allow special orders any more?
Old 03-08-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its called fulfillment by Amazon. Its Amazons dropship service. The reason Amazon cant sell you the product that they are holding for the 3rd party is because it is property of the 3rd party.

If you participate in the program, you pay a storage fee and a per item fee plus 1 other fee I cant think of. It is good if you are a high volume seller and sell a lot on Amazon (it is eligible for prime).

Geez, I wonder why Blockbuster doesn't allow special orders any more?
Hmm, no wonder they are going Bankrupt.....
Old 03-08-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Hmm, no wonder they are going Bankrupt.....
They gave up the special orders a while back. They couldn't pay the bills to Baker and Taylor. It was a few years ago, too...it was the first sign of the beginning of the end.
Old 03-09-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that stores don't special order stuff anymore? I rmember in my days at Sam Goody, that we used to order a bunch of stuff for people. If we did it right, we had it in hand in less than a week. I realize that with the advent of online stores, special ordering has probably gone out the window, but in some instances it would be beneficial. For instance, reently I took advantage of the $20 per season of Las Vegas that Best Buy offered. I ordered them online for pickup in the store. Bought them, and when I got to season 2, about 2 weeks after purchase, I saw that the first disc was cracked in half. Go back to the store, with my receipt in had, and the clerk says they cant do anything. they dont have anymore season 2 dvds in stock, and it had been removed from their store profile, so they werent going to get anymore in. Of course, they couldnt order me one, so I either had to deal with returning it to the online site, or find it on a shelf in another store, of which there were none within about 20 miles.
Old 03-09-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you can still special order stuff at twec stores (which i believe sam goody was a briefly a part of and which also include fye) but it will prolly have to be stuff that is readily available and the price will be at msrp.

and thats why stores prolly dont offer special orders any more lol.