Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

returning a DVD for the HD version @ Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I bought the complete set of Planet Earth at Best Buy today and got home and popped one of the discs in the DVD player ready for some High Definition spectacularness on my Panny 50" HDTV. Unfortunately about two seconds after putting in the DVD I realized that my Planet Earth collection was the regular DVD set and not the HD set. Great...now I know that Best Buy has a crazy return policy on opened DVD's but I was wondering if anyone had tried to exchange an opened DVD set in brand new condition "with" the receipts for the exact title but in HD.

Would I have better luck maybe "putting" a scratch on one of the discs and asking for a gift card for a defective product or should I just be honest and pray that a customer service rep will feel generous?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: returning a DVD for the HD version @ Best Buy

If you don't have the receipt when you return it, they won't know if it wasn't a gift that was already opened when you received it.

Also, how do you not notice the differences between the DVD and the BD version of the sets?
Old 01-25-09, 11:09 PM

From what I understand Best Buy Retail Stores do not return or exchange DVD's without a receipt...so explaining that I got it as a gift without the receipt is of no use since the DVD is opened.

I happen to have the receipt since I got it today but I'm still not sure they will return it for the HD version since it happens to be a different item number in their system.

The HD version has a red strip across the top that says "HD DVD"...unfortunately I didn't realize this until I was home and had opened the DVD set.

Anyone else out there that might have a suggestion or experience?
Old 01-25-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redghost
Hi all,
I bought the complete set of Planet Earth at Best Buy today and got home and popped one of the discs in the DVD player ready for some High Definition spectacularness on my Panny 50" HDTV. Unfortunately about two seconds after putting in the DVD I realized that my Planet Earth collection was the regular DVD set and not the HD set. Great...now I know that Best Buy has a crazy return policy on opened DVD's but I was wondering if anyone had tried to exchange an opened DVD set in brand new condition "with" the receipts for the exact title but in HD.

Would I have better luck maybe "putting" a scratch on one of the discs and asking for a gift card for a defective product or should I just be honest and pray that a customer service rep will feel generous?

Thanks.
What is their "crazy" return policy? If you bought something and opened it and THEN realized you got the wrong item because you didn't look closely enough, I actually think it's completely reasonable for them not to exchange it.
Old 01-25-09, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: returning a DVD for the HD version @ Best Buy

[mod note]redghost Welcome to DVDtalk I know since you had a question you were just trying to jump in and ask it. However, if you take time to look around the site you'll notice we have several forums broken down into several main areas of discussion. We ask that people please start their threads in the most appropriate one. In this case since you are asking a specific question about BB the Store Forum would be the most appropriate.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the site/stick around long enough to get a feel for it, in the meantime I'll go ahead and move this one for you[/mod note]

Regarding your question. I would say just take it back and give it a try. I know when I worked retail we had a shrink wrap machine in the back so anything that came back (it's was a software/computer store) we could re-wrap and put back out. Since you are "upgrading" they may let you do it.
Old 01-25-09, 11:27 PM

thank you to the mod for moving the post...

In any case has anyone gone through this before with Best Buy in particular? It usually wouldn't be a big deal for a $9.99 DVD but considering its a five disc set for 60$ I think it might be worth it to take back to the store for the upgraded HD version.
Thank you.
Old 01-25-09, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by redghost
From what I understand Best Buy Retail Stores do not return or exchange DVD's without a receipt...so explaining that I got it as a gift without the receipt is of no use since the DVD is opened.

I happen to have the receipt since I got it today but I'm still not sure they will return it for the HD version since it happens to be a different item number in their system.

The HD version has a red strip across the top that says "HD DVD"...unfortunately I didn't realize this until I was home and had opened the DVD set.

Anyone else out there that might have a suggestion or experience?
I'm pretty sure Best Buy doesn't carry the HD DVD version anymore. Only SD and Blu-Ray.

If you want the HD DVD version, you can try Fry's (I think they are the only retailer still stocking HD DVD), or else search online retailers as some may still have some stock left.
Old 01-26-09, 07:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Honesty is always the best policy. Try exchanging, but I wouldn't count on it. Give the set away as a gift, or re-sell, and find the HD set cheap online somewhere.
Old 01-26-09, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by David Levine
I'm pretty sure Best Buy doesn't carry the HD DVD version anymore. Only SD and Blu-Ray.

If you want the HD DVD version, you can try Fry's (I think they are the only retailer still stocking HD DVD), or else search online retailers as some may still have some stock left.
I know Best Buy doesn't have it anymore in HD DVD since they return all the stock they had in early 2008.
Old 01-26-09, 10:23 AM

Thank you for all your help.

Great Forum.
Old 01-26-09, 12:59 PM

This might be an obvious question redghost, but do you have an HD DVD or Blu-ray player? If not, you won't be able to play either of those formats.
Old 01-26-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KirstenS
This might be an obvious question redghost, but do you have an HD DVD or Blu-ray player? If not, you won't be able to play either of those formats.
That's a valid question, because I can't believe anyone who has been buying HD DVDs or Blu-ray Discs would mistake a regular DVD set for one of those formats. The cases are noticeably smaller,
Old 01-26-09, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
That's a valid question, because I can't believe anyone who has been buying HD DVDs or Blu-ray Discs would mistake a regular DVD set for one of those formats. The cases are noticeably smaller,
That's what I was thinking. He also said that he "popped one of the disks in the DVD player."
Old 01-26-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Reading his first post, I have a strong suspicion that he has neither.
Old 02-08-09, 02:35 AM

Yea, I would say that the OP has neither player. Otherwise, he'd know that HD DVDs are no longer carried by any retailer and he would have noticed that the DVD was not in a blue case when he purchased it!
Old 02-10-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing he won't be visiting the Fourm anymore now.