Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Horrible Circuit City Experience ...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i bought an Xbox 360 in 2006 and it working fine up until September 20, 2008 when i got the "red ring of death" so lucky for me i bought the "circuit city advantage protection plan" because the way it was explained to me was this "if anything happens to your Xbox... ANYTHING AT ALL... we will give you a gift card for the amount that you paid for..." so i start a claim and everything is going smoothly.

I mail my xbox, get a tracking # for it, check up on it from time to time and i get my "refurbished replacement" in the mail on 10/15/08 and im a bit annoyed that i didnt get the gift card but i say screw it atleast i can play games right away ...

3 1/2 weeks later circuit city's own Refurbished Replacement gets the "red ring of death" lol .... again lucky me i read that if within 90 days anything happens to the replacement i can send it back... im a bit upset but i say owell atleast im covered... i make another claim and send it back Via circuit citys shipping label with UPS on 11/12/08 ... once again i track the delivery process and they recieve the refurbished replacement on 11/26/08 ...

well its 12/31/08 and nothing .... i was told i would recieve my next replacement by 12/14/08 ... but i didnt ... i called the protection plan # and spoke with a lady that tells me that this has taken too long and she is going to request another replacement again or that they send me a gift card for the amount that i paid for... i say okay thats fine when should i call back? she then says to call back within 2 days and they would have more information ....

so i call 2 days later and im told that its too early for any information to be given to me lol .... so then i call back a week later and they tell me the same ... at this point im pissed off and ask to speak with someone that can give me some answers ... they transfer me to a supervisor that tells me that she has been listening to the entire conversation and that she knows im upset and that im not the only one thats upset with circuit city that everyone is upset with circuit city... i then tell her that i dont care about "everyones cases" just mine ... i then explain to her that if anything my case should be priority because of the fact that CIRCUIT CITYS OWN REFURBISHED REPLACEMENT failed within a month of regular use... she then calmed her tone and told me that she was sorry about the whole situation and encouraged me to file a complaint against circuit citys warranty program...

i bought a bunch of games on black friday and they're all still sealed ...

i also payed for a year of XboxLive... and now almost 3 months have gone to waste ....

what do i do ??? lol any ideas ...

i dont wanna just do the complaint thing and have my case drag on for longer ....

Last edited by lovgun7; 12-31-08 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-31-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to say it, but I think you are going to be lucky if you get anything from Circuit City at this point. I know that's not helpful. Maybe if you have a store in the area still you can go in and plead your case.
Old 12-31-08, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I hate to say it, but I think you are going to be lucky if you get anything from Circuit City at this point. I know that's not helpful. Maybe if you have a store in the area still you can go in and plead your case.

theres a store right around the corner from my house but i can pretty much sum up what the conversation i gonna be like

Me: i have a problem with the advantage protection plan

Employee: call this number ... goodbye .....
Old 12-31-08, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
can they really get away with that ???

i mean they just pretty much took 400 dollars out of my pocket and i get nothing .... that cant be ....
Old 12-31-08, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If the whole operation shuts down it wouldn't surprise me. Someone who knows more about this will chime in later I'm sure. However, and I am just speculating, there MAY be a delay in processing your issue because they have some kind of corporate directive about money going out of the company during their mess.
Old 12-31-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Had a similar horrific experience with a TV and their 'extended warranty' over a decade ago- that's why I'm very happy to see them in the situation they're in right now!
Old 12-31-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well the good news is that their protection plans aren't owned by Circuit City.
Old 12-31-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Contact your state's Attorney General.

They should be able to help.
Old 12-31-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much extended coverage did you buy? Seems you may have been better off shipping it to MS. My RRoD issue only had me offline for 16 days and I got the complimentary 1 month of LIVE on it's return.
Old 12-31-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Technically, your replacement plan is through a third party warranty supplier and not Circuit City. They've been doing the replacement thing lately for things like iPods and game consoles since many warranty owners had been "bricking" their products to get newer models (i.e. iPod video to iPod touch, or old 360 for the new HDMI model).
Old 01-01-09, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
How much extended coverage did you buy? Seems you may have been better off shipping it to MS. My RRoD issue only had me offline for 16 days and I got the complimentary 1 month of LIVE on it's return.
i bought a 2 year plan... but i bought it before i herd about the "rrod"... or probably when the problem was very small... and at that time MS had not extended its warranty so i figured i was safe ....

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Technically, your replacement plan is through a third party warranty supplier and not Circuit City. They've been doing the replacement thing lately for things like iPods and game consoles since many warranty owners had been "bricking" their products to get newer models (i.e. iPod video to iPod touch, or old 360 for the new HDMI model).
oh ok well this is good to know atleast if c city goes under ill still be given what im already intitled to.... and no i didnt brick my 360 on purpose ALTHOUGH since X-mas just passed i recieved a hefty amouth of Best Buy gift cards so my thought was.... okay hopefully ill the gift card and instead of buying a 360 from CC ill get a PS3 with them knowing its failure rate is waaaaay lower then the xbox.... and with the best buy gift cards ill purchase a 360 with best buy ... the good thing about best buy is i can take my producte directly to the store instead of mailing it ....

ill keep everyone updated on what happens.... im planning to call again on friday ...
Old 01-01-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
But the agreement at the time of purchase was a gift card for the money spent on the original unit, not for a replacement unit. Whether people are fucking up their consoles to get new ones or not, they still need to abide by the terms of the contract.
Old 01-01-09, 10:56 PM

I stopped shopping at CC 10 years ago. They wouldn't shut up about DIVX every time I tried to buy a DVD. I don't miss that place.
Old 01-02-09, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
But the agreement at the time of purchase was a gift card for the money spent on the original unit, not for a replacement unit. Whether people are fucking up their consoles to get new ones or not, they still need to abide by the terms of the contract.
wow finally someone that sees it the way i do ... another thing that was really screwy is that if they DID indeed change the policy within the 2 years that i had it ... you'd think they would mail me a letter notifying me or an email telling me that a change has been made .... and again i did not intentionally screw up my 360 lol ....
Old 01-02-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frankly, I wouldn't have shipped the item. I have would have taken it directly to the store and insisted they give me a gift card on the spot. As soon as you ship it, you lose control.

A circuit city gift card isn't going to be worth the plastic they put on when the other shoe drops and CC decides to shut down the rest of their stores. Kinda like how CompUSA did it.
Old 01-02-09, 02:09 PM

I just got an email from the circuit city advantage proctection services saying that they apoligize for what happend to me and that a gift card for the amount that i paid for back in 2006 was being shipped to me and i should allow 7-10 for it to arrive ....

perfect ... it took waaaaaay too long BUT atleast i got a gift card instead of another refurbished replacement...

now i can go to best buy and purchase an xbox from them and as soon as i get my gift card im going straight to circuit city and buying a ps3......

Originally Posted by chanster
Frankly, I wouldn't have shipped the item. I have would have taken it directly to the store and insisted they give me a gift card on the spot. As soon as you ship it, you lose control.

A circuit city gift card isn't going to be worth the plastic they put on when the other shoe drops and CC decides to shut down the rest of their stores. Kinda like how CompUSA did it.

true but like i said above ill be getting a ps3 as soon as i get my gift card im not waiting an extra day on it...
Old 01-02-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
So I guess you'll be watching the CC press releases closely for the next 7 to 10 days...
Old 01-02-09, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So I guess you'll be watching the CC press releases closely for the next 7 to 10 days...

no lol cuz for all i know they've already shipped the gift card the day after i called ... im not to worried about them going under so quickly after closing so many more stores ... im in good spirits...
Old 01-05-09, 08:31 PM

Re: Horrible Circuit City Experience ...

i just called them back and the GC was mailed on 01/02/09
Old 01-06-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
you have to read the fine print of the contract, i've done this and they usually don't say the same things the sales people say what's in them
Old 01-06-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you have to read the fine print of the contract, i've done this and they usually don't say the same things the sales people say what's in them
Yeah, I bought my 360 from Circuit with the plan, and the cashier/customer service girl was very clear that they would choose to either repair it or send a gift card. Sounds like lovgun got a person who either didn't know, or was trying to bump up the store's service plan number.

Interestingly, Circuit's website actually recommends that you go through MSFT for red-ring repairs even if you have their plan. Of course, if you think you're getting a nice no-hassle GC, then most folks wouldn't bother. You'd figure these stores have gotten into too much trouble over these things to let employees misrepresent them, but when they get driven to make numbers I guess everything else stops mattering.
Old 01-07-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't matter if the gift card has been shipped, if CC declares bankruptcy, the gift card could be worth 0. I doubt they will declare in the next month, but I'm guessing their goose is going to be cooked at the end of the next quarter.

My advice to you is to spend it as quickly as possible, and don't mess around with another service plan from them. Although these service plans are technically independent, the main advantage to them - i.e. in store giftcard would likely disappear if CC went the way of the dodo.
Old 01-07-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Having a thread titled "Wonderful Circuit City Experience" would be far more surprising.
Old 01-07-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovgun7
i just called them back and the GC was mailed on 01/02/09
Good I would have bothered them for the GC from the begining.
Old 01-07-09, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Interestingly, Circuit's website actually recommends that you go through MSFT for red-ring repairs even if you have their plan. Of course, if you think you're getting a nice no-hassle GC, then most folks wouldn't bother. You'd figure these stores have gotten into too much trouble over these things to let employees misrepresent them, but when they get driven to make numbers I guess everything else stops mattering.
well the thing about that is the sales people wont recommend you NOT buy the plan and go through MS instead. They'll push the plan on you so what happens is you buy it , the thing breaks, you go on the website, and then u read its recommended that you send it to MS as opposed to using the plan that was pushed on you and bought

Originally Posted by chanster
Doesn't matter if the gift card has been shipped, if CC declares bankruptcy, the gift card could be worth 0. I doubt they will declare in the next month, but I'm guessing their goose is going to be cooked at the end of the next quarter.

My advice to you is to spend it as quickly as possible, and don't mess around with another service plan from them. Although these service plans are technically independent, the main advantage to them - i.e. in store giftcard would likely disappear if CC went the way of the dodo.
no worries i have different plans for the GC ... ill be getting a PS3 instead and as for the 360 ill be getting that at best buy cuz i got so many gift cards for them and because if anything happens to the 360 i can physically take it to them instead of mailing it which freaks anyone out lol

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Good I would have bothered them for the GC from the begining.
trust me i did but like any other store they weren't about to give me 400 bucks just like that... so i figured screw it ill let them send me a replacement ... the downside was it was refurbished ..... and the rest is history ....

Last edited by lovgun7; 01-07-09 at 03:09 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.