Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Unauthorized charges from Best Buy

Old 12-29-08, 11:01 PM

Unauthorized charges from Best Buy

I know, I know, it's Worst -err- Best Buy....

A few weeks ago, there was a deal going on to buy 2 select movies and get a $10 gift card for $14. There were a few movies on the list for $6.99, I picked Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2. I received the gift card and used it in BB store. So far so good.

Yesterday, I am checking my credit card statement and I find some charges from BB that don't look familiar. Interestingly enough, the charges make up $10 amount.

I stopped at BB store and asked them what's going on. They didn't know and they called BB.com. Someone at BB.com told them that the gift card was cancelled (!) and they charged my credit card to make up for it. BB.com claims that the promotion was 3 dvd for $10 card.

I don't have the promo flier so I guess I'll have to dispute the charges through my credit card company.

Did anyone have similar experience - a cancelled gift card?
Old 12-29-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got in on the identical deal as you. Kill Bill 1&2. I haven't used my gift card yet.
Old 12-30-08, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
I know, I know, it's Worst -err- Best Buy....

A few weeks ago, there was a deal going on to buy 2 select movies and get a $10 gift card for $14. There were a few movies on the list for $6.99, I picked Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2. I received the gift card and used it in BB store. So far so good.

Yesterday, I am checking my credit card statement and I find some charges from BB that don't look familiar. Interestingly enough, the charges make up $10 amount.

I stopped at BB store and asked them what's going on. They didn't know and they called BB.com. Someone at BB.com told them that the gift card was cancelled (!) and they charged my credit card to make up for it. BB.com claims that the promotion was 3 dvd for $10 card.

I don't have the promo flier so I guess I'll have to dispute the charges through my credit card company.

Did anyone have similar experience - a cancelled gift card?
That is utterly ridiculous.
Old 12-30-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you cannot reslove this with BB, you will be better off disputing the charge with your CC company. Just make sure you provide plenty of documentation with your dispute. As long as you can show proof that they charged you more than they should have, you should get your money back. For example, you have an email that showed the price they should've charged you, but the actual charge was $10 higher, then it supports your "unauthorized charge" claim. The whole dispute process could take around 6-8 weeks though.
Old 12-30-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
If you cannot reslove this with BB, you will be better off disputing the charge with your CC company. Just make sure you provide plenty of documentation with your dispute. As long as you can show proof that they charged you more than they should have, you should get your money back. For example, you have an email that showed the price they should've charged you, but the actual charge was $10 higher, then it supports your "unauthorized charge" claim. The whole dispute process could take around 6-8 weeks though.
Best advice for your situation. Emphasize, with evidence that you agreed to pay $x and they ended up charging you $x+y. If it was a separate charge, not related to the actual purchase, like an additional charge for $3 here and $7 there, you might run into a problem depending on the card you used. I know the check card from my old bank wouldn't do anything unless the charge was over $25. That's one of the reasons they are my old bank. Good luck to you.
Old 12-31-08, 06:00 PM

They will charge you for the gift card if you: (A) return one or bolth of the movies, or (B) dont follow through buying the movies, such as an instore pick-up that never got picked up, or (C) a backorder that ended up being cancelled.
Old 01-01-09, 12:03 AM

Thanks eric. Hm, both movies were picked up and paid for, no returns. The complete order consisted of several movies, but only Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 were available for store pick up and these two I got. So I think that I did satisfy the promotion requirement.

The rest of the order was cancelled because they didn't have them but it should not matter, as long as I got two. Right?

Last edited by DeepBlue; 01-01-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 03:25 PM

It sounds like a BB software system glitch.

If I have your story correct, you ordered KB1 and KB2 and lets say dvdX and dvdY for a total of 4 items with instore pick-up. You went to the store and got KB1 and KB2 and your giftcard. The other dvd(s), dvdX and dvdY are not in stock and therefore cancelled by the system.

The BB software probably looks at the transaction as a whole (instead of analyzing the individual items in the order) and since part of the transaction was cancelled, it assumes the requirements for the promotion (giftcard in this case) were not met and the BB software automatically takes back the promotion by charging the credit card used in the transaction for a total of $10.

As far as the BB.com customer service saying it was for 3 items and not 2 is just BS. He/she is either blowing you some BS or not aware of what the deal was. Many DvdTalkers saw the deal, it was a buy 2 and get a $10 giftcard.

As others have said, you will have to dispute it with your credit card company. Save all your documentation, screen prints, emails, etc.

Each credit card company handles disputes differently. For such a small amount(s) they should just take the charges off your account, but you never know. Good luck with your dispute.
Old 01-01-09, 03:46 PM

Here is a link to the deal:

http://bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...at165200050008

Print this out and submit it with the rest of your documentation to your credit card company.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-01-09 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the link DeepSleep.

You are probably right about BB software glitch.