Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy in Trouble, Offers Staff Buyouts

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy in Trouble, Offers Staff Buyouts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It shouldn't be surprising.

When the economy is circling the bowl and people are worried about whether or not they'll be working three months from now, over-priced consumer electronics, CDs, video games, and DVDs are probably going to be the first things sacrificed. If I'm concerned about getting laid off, then that new iPod is going to be the first thing to go.
You nailed it, my friend! As much as I love my toys, I love eating and living in my home more!
Old 12-17-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Everytime I go there about 80 percent of the dvd's(mostly tv series) that I am looking too buy aren't in stock and everything else is at least 7 dollars more expensive than the cheapest online price plus add in sales tax and I don't understand why people rush to buy anything there.
They barely make any profit on DVDs anyway, so they probably aren't too concerned with trying to compete with competitors' prices or selection, they just need a movie section to help with driving customer traffic into the store. As mentioned, their big profit centres are service plans, Geek Squad services and electronics accessories.
Old 12-19-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by BKenn01
My apology.
All is forgiven, partly because you apologized, but mostly because....

If you are familiar with the area, they moved to Lebonan Jct. Just off the I-65exit.
Next to $6.99 for the 2-disc Tropic Thunder and $16.99 for the Christopher Reeve Superman Collection, this is the best thing I've learned from this forum since joining!
Old 12-19-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully I'll still have a job!

= J
Old 12-19-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
They won't be going the way of CC. Their management is just moving in an aggressive and pro-active manner. I think its awesome, and shows their commitment to staying the premiere electronics dealer in the US. Kudos to them for making these moves.
Old 12-21-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
that is a lie, it was $5 for every $125.

why do you always do that.
too much wiid?
Old 12-21-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
considering the closing of many of these Circuit City stores, even if the economic conditions continue to be the same, they should benefit from the closings in terms of sales.
Old 12-21-08, 03:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
considering the closing of many of these Circuit City stores, even if the economic conditions continue to be the same, they should benefit from the closings in terms of sales.
I would think so as well. No more CompUSA, no more Circuit City now either. Not even a Wal-Mart (not that that's bad).

So all that remains in my county are very high-end home theater businesses or Sears/Target/Costco types of stores. If I needed a hard drive or monitor in a hurry Best Buy is pretty much the only place left to go.