Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Return Same DVD to Different Store (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-15-08, 09:18 PM

I didn't know where else to post this, but I had a question about returning DVDs.

I just bought a movie from best buy and opened it and watched it, and I was gifted the same movie (my friend knew I didn't have it for a long time and wanted it, but did not know I just bought it) a few days later. I obviously left it unopened.

She no longer has her receipt, but I still have my best buy receipt. Is it possible to return her product from a different store to best buy with my receipt without any complications? In actuality the price on my Best Buy receipt is 2 dollars less than what she paid, so even though it's essentially losing 2 dollars, I still feel it's my best option. The versions are exactly the same, and the numbers and barcodes are teh same, I just don't want some alarm thing going off in their computer when they scan it to return it, nor do I want them thinking I'm trying to scam them in some way.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Will this be hassle-free?
Old 12-15-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You should have no problem, from my experience.

What was the movie? Not that it matters.
Old 12-15-08, 09:28 PM

Hey, thanks for the prompt reply!

The movie was "Letters from Iwo Jima." It finally came on sale, so i bought it for around 7.5 bucks a couple weeks back, and then my friend bought it from our Circuit City's closing sale for 10, she said.

Great movie, but not great enough to own two, lol...
Old 12-15-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see why it would be a problem assuming there are no CC stickers on the shrinkwrap
Old 12-15-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah unless your dealing with a "store" exclusive version or one with a different upc, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 12-15-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And of course, I would think she couldn't return it to CC anyway since it was bought as part of a closing sale, which means there's no returns/refunds.
Old 12-15-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What you could do is copy the movie, and the cover if you need it. Heat shrink wrap your open copy and go to wal-mart and return it for $20 a piece. Bingo you just made some money!
Old 12-16-08, 03:52 PM
fwc

I had an experience like this where even with a wal-mart receipt, wal-mart would not take as a return a CD which was bought at another store because they could somehow tell from scanning it that the CD was not bought at wal-mart. Maybe they have their own codes they put on or around the UPC, dunno.
Old 12-17-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ More likely, that was, as ScissorPuppy said, a store exclusive. Or Wal-Mart had a store exclusive, and didn't carry the normal version you were trying to return. This would be easy to know for sure if it were a CD with explicit lyrics, since Wal-Mart often carries special censored versions. No special codes. The UPC matches in their computer, or it doesn't. If you wanted to break the law, you could use MS Word and print out a UPC that matches the number you want, and stick it on there and return it.
Old 12-17-08, 10:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by fwc View Post
I had an experience like this where even with a wal-mart receipt, wal-mart would not take as a return a CD which was bought at another store because they could somehow tell from scanning it that the CD was not bought at wal-mart. Maybe they have their own codes they put on or around the UPC, dunno.
UPCs are not always identical. The CD (or anything) could be completely identical, but have a different UPC at Target than at Walmart.

But often they are not identical, but have slightly different content like bonus songs.

Also, for CDs, Walmart doesn't scan the UPC when you check out, but their label on the front with their unique UPC.
Old 12-19-08, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Also, for CDs, Walmart doesn't scan the UPC when you check out, but their label on the front with their unique UPC.
As does Borders, at least for cds and DVDs.
Old 12-25-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
UPCs are not always identical. The CD (or anything) could be completely identical, but have a different UPC at Target than at Walmart.

But often they are not identical, but have slightly different content like bonus songs.

Which you could say was removed because it was given as a gift.
Old 12-26-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a similar question. Got The Shield Season 6 from the mom yesterday, but had already picked up a cop yof it a few weeks ago when it was on sale. You think it would be possible to take to a place like Best Buy for store credit, even without a receipt?
Old 12-26-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
I had a similar question. Got The Shield Season 6 from the mom yesterday, but had already picked up a cop yof it a few weeks ago when it was on sale. You think it would be possible to take to a place like Best Buy for store credit, even without a receipt?
You might be able to, but you shouldn't -- it's effectively stealing from the store.

The OP's situation is different because he's returning an unopened copy of something he bought at Best Buy, even if it's not the exact same copy.
Old 01-02-09, 02:57 PM

im about to do the same one terminator the sarah conner chronicles ... picked it up at target last week for 19.99 .... saw it at best buy for 12.99 lol so ill be returning at target