Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Another Seller Complaining about eBay Thread

Old 12-04-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another Seller Complaining about eBay Thread

I hate to clutter things up, but I'm greatly annoyed right now and this forum is the best place I know of to vent. Going into November I set aside a handful of collectible CD's to run on eBay to earn a little extra Black Friday spending money. I ran six auctions, they ended on 17 November and five of the six sold. The highlight was getting $33.51 for a used copy of Taylor Swift's Christmas EP that was a Target exclusive last year. You can see where this is headed.

Three of my winners paid that night, and I got their items shipped lickety split; in fact, one guy was so impressed by my shipping time he actually posted positive feedback before he even got his CD. A week goes by, still no response from my Swift buyer to either of my two invoices or my private message. In my message, I simply stated that I was sure things were as hectic for her as they had been for me what with Thanksgiving approaching and all, but I hadn't received payment yet; I knew she looked as forward to completing the transaction as I and wished her a happy holiday; the usual face-saving stuff. No reply. After 10 days of this, I filed a non-payment complaint.

My unsold item had interested someone who hadn't bid, and he asked me to relist it, which I did. It ran for the full seven days, at the end of which he placed his winning bid and that item was actually paid for before the Swift EP. Finally, on Monday night 1 December, she paid with nary a comment. No "I'm sorry I'm late" or anything.

I'm convinced she bid up the CD and then decided she'd wait until after the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, to be sure she'd have enough to pay for something she found then. Of course, I was counting on that money for the same purpose, but the difference is that she was obligated to pay me prior to that weekend. What really upsets me is that I can only leave her positive feedback. In the old days, I would have left neutral; she did ultimately pay, after all, but taking so long to do it that I can actually file a non-payment complaint doesn't set well with me. Furthermore, I'm agitated that her feedback rating will remain 100% for life, unless she sells something.

The only part about this that I find comforting is that literally the next morning after she finally paid, the Taylor Swift EP became available as a digital download for less than $6. Had she not paid Monday night, I have a feeling I would never have gotten her $33.51. I hope she signed in to iTunes or Amazon Tuesday morning and saw that, and I hope it got her hopping mad.
Old 12-04-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sucks. Thats why besides my comic singles and trade (which i do auctions for), everything else is BIN with immediate payment required.
Old 12-04-08, 10:31 AM

Good luck keeping the money. That's something I've read about quite often ... People who do similar things, waiting to pay and stuff, will then wait until they get the stuff in the mail and then file with paypal saying they never got it and get a refund. The money gets taken out of the seller's account (or a hold on it), and it's up to the seller to prove that not only did they ship, but they shipped what was in the auction. If the seller can't provide evidence (more than just a tracking number), paypal will give the buyer their money back.

They screw over the seller by paying late and by stealing the merchandise.

Just please be careful. Sellers really don't have any recourse anymore. They can't leave negative feedback, and if the buyer wants to be a complete and total jerk, the seller can't do a thing about it.

With that all said, I think if the buyer was having a hard time or had to wait til payday, she should have done what I do ... Contact the seller and say "I want this, but can't pay until X day" and ask if the seller is OK with it. If they're not, then don't bid. I've done that on ebay a number of times, and not once has a seller had a problem with it. Of course, I also have 100% positive, and I'm not going after major expensive things.
Old 12-04-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OmahaStar View Post
Good luck keeping the money. That's something I've read about quite often ... People who do similar things, waiting to pay and stuff, will then wait until they get the stuff in the mail and then file with paypal saying they never got it and get a refund. The money gets taken out of the seller's account (or a hold on it), and it's up to the seller to prove that not only did they ship, but they shipped what was in the auction. If the seller can't provide evidence (more than just a tracking number), paypal will give the buyer their money back.
I discovered this several years ago, and ever since then I have required every buyer pay for delivery confirmation. If you were unaware, you can actually add tracking information for packages you ship on your Paypal page, and once you enter the information both you and your buyer can link directly to the tracking information and see where the item is. I haven't encountered anything about verifying what is in the package yet, though....

They screw over the seller by paying late and by stealing the merchandise.

Just please be careful. Sellers really don't have any recourse anymore. They can't leave negative feedback, and if the buyer wants to be a complete and total jerk, the seller can't do a thing about it.
This is my problem with eBay's recent policy changes. They act like all the sellers are crooks and the buyers are beyond reproach. I've been eBaying for a full decade now, and the overwhelming majority of my bad experiences have been with buyers, not sellers.
Old 12-04-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. I can understand why you're pissed as its happened to me before. I hate people that take too long to pay it is ridiculous. I've since added to all my listings that the buyer has to pay within 3 days via paypal or contact me within 3 days if they are using another form of payment. If they don't do that, I relist. You should consider adding something similar to future listings to avoid this bullshit.
Old 12-04-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny thing happend to me. I was selling a car cd/dvd in dash and I had a buyer who won the auction. 3 days after the auction was over ebay emailed me and told me the listing had been deleted due to copyright crap. Whatever I emailed the buyer told him what happend and he told me it had happend to him as well and he didn't care he wanted to unit. Long story short, he paid via paypal, I nicely packaged the unit and sent it off. A week later I get an email dispute from paypal claiming the unit was damaged and things were missing. A complete lie. Well since the transaction wasn't through ebay he got fucked and paypal removed the dispute. Asshole got what he deserved. Most buyers are cheating bastards.
Old 12-04-08, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Funny thing happend to me. I was selling a car cd/dvd in dash and I had a buyer who won the auction. 3 days after the auction was over ebay emailed me and told me the listing had been deleted due to copyright crap. Whatever I emailed the buyer told him what happend and he told me it had happend to him as well and he didn't care he wanted to unit. Long story short, he paid via paypal, I nicely packaged the unit and sent it off. A week later I get an email dispute from paypal claiming the unit was damaged and things were missing. A complete lie. Well since the transaction wasn't through ebay he got fucked and paypal removed the dispute. Asshole got what he deserved. Most buyers are cheating bastards.
Hey, that was me!

I'm totally kidding, but I keep waiting for it to happen for real. That would make for some awesome entertainment, though
Old 12-05-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mink-e View Post
Hey, that was me!

I'm totally kidding, but I keep waiting for it to happen for real. That would make for some awesome entertainment, though
yeah the guy was pulling a total scam. He never even contacted me before making the dispute because he probably didn't have the balls to lie to my face.
Old 12-05-08, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
How did he get fucked?

He still has your item which you say is perfectly fine. You didn't get fucked would have been a more appropriate term.
Old 12-05-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post
How did he get fucked?

He still has your item which you say is perfectly fine. You didn't get fucked would have been a more appropriate term.
Well he got fucked out of what he was planning on doing is what I meant to say. And yes I did not get fucked.
Old 12-08-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Addendum to my situation: I took the CD to the Post Office the day after she finally paid, right? I came home and put in the delivery confirmation number on the Paypal page, and it sent the code to her, too. She e-mails me two days later to tell me she's put the number into UPS's website and it isn't showing anything; did I send her CD? I replied that I did, in fact, ship her CD via USPS on the date mentioned. She didn't even pay until I filed a non-payment complaint and she has the audacity to get on me about shipping her CD? And UPS instead of USPS? How could anyone be on eBay long enough to earn a feedback in the hundreds like her and not know the difference by now? Grrr....
Old 12-09-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since the the OP's situation is resolved, I feel it's okay to commence hijacking.

It's been a good long while since I left a negative for seller, but I did the other day. I ordered a xmas present for my wife, a little thing (about $20) but would have been a major "look how much my husband really knows me" type gift that she would have loved.

The seller mails promptly...by sticking a mailing label on the outside of the retail box!! Which means it's obvious to all what it is!! Who the hell sends ANYTHING during the xmas shopping season like this? It's beyond stupid. At best, it's lazy packing leaving the item susceptible to damage.

After thinking about it, there was nothing, including a full refund, that would have left me satisfied with the seller's actions. So I neg'ed him, which of course led to a nasty PM about wanting to know why and demanding a retraction. I was completely honest, even gave him a 5 for shipping speed and didn't state anything that wasn't fact. When asked what possessed him to be that lazy and stupid, he basically said that's how he keeps his shipping prices low (they weren't) and gets items out promptly (maybe). He said that he'd challenge with eBay and that's his right. But they haven't switched it and I can't see why they would. Hopefully it helps someone else down the line in the same situation.
Old 12-09-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Since the the OP's situation is resolved, I feel it's okay to commence hijacking.

It's been a good long while since I left a negative for seller, but I did the other day. I ordered a xmas present for my wife, a little thing (about $20) but would have been a major "look how much my husband really knows me" type gift that she would have loved.

The seller mails promptly...by sticking a mailing label on the outside of the retail box!! Which means it's obvious to all what it is!! Who the hell sends ANYTHING during the xmas shopping season like this? It's beyond stupid. At best, it's lazy packing leaving the item susceptible to damage.

After thinking about it, there was nothing, including a full refund, that would have left me satisfied with the seller's actions. So I neg'ed him, which of course led to a nasty PM about wanting to know why and demanding a retraction. I was completely honest, even gave him a 5 for shipping speed and didn't state anything that wasn't fact. When asked what possessed him to be that lazy and stupid, he basically said that's how he keeps his shipping prices low (they weren't) and gets items out promptly (maybe). He said that he'd challenge with eBay and that's his right. But they haven't switched it and I can't see why they would. Hopefully it helps someone else down the line in the same situation.
Was the surprise actually ruined?
Old 12-10-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post

Three things come to mind:

1) I was finally paid, but until I know for sure she's not going to try to find a way to get a refund, I wouldn't say my situation has been resolved. I know she got her CD on the 8th, but I haven't received feedback or anything yet. It looms over me, and I'm afraid to spend the money in my Paypal account until I know it's safe. Still, by all means, it's fine with me that you (or anyone else) shares your eBay frustration in this thread.

2) Did you explain to the seller prior to having your item shipped that it was a gift and that you wanted it shipped with discretion? I know that as a seller, I frequently write above my name in the return address what the item is unless I know it's a gift. I do that because I usually have many items going out at once, and it helps me keep everything straight.

I do agree that this was particularly lazy shipping on the part of the seller. It would help to know how lazy if we knew what the item was. Is it something that would have easily fit in a USPS priority box? I ship all my items that way, because the boxes are free for me and I believe it's in the interests of the item being shipped to be in one.

3) As a seller, I am absolutely livid that buyers can leave negative feedback, on top of rating the seller in 5 categories, and all I can do is leave positive feedback for buyers. The imbalance of retribution options is what has really undermined my confidence in selling on eBay. I know eBay has recently laid off a bunch of workers because their revenue is down. I wonder how many sellers they have to chase off before one of their monkeys puts it together that their revenue is related to having items selling on their site, and that sellers are an important part of that equation.