Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How does Netflix's queueing for not available items work?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-17-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Netflix for stuff I can't get from the library and BDs. Hence my queue is never more than 5-10 items long. Right now there's two items, Weeds S2 disc 1 and 2. Disc 1 is Available Soon and Disc 2 is Available Now. Is it first come and first serve and I'm in some of waiting queue for disc 1? I.e. leaving it all alone in the queue means I'll probably get it shipped within the week? (even if all I use Netflix is to watch S1 and S2 of Weeds that's $40-$45 of DVDs that I get to see in half a month, which costs $10... I've found I don't really rewatch DVDs, just a handful of them like Office Space).
Old 07-17-08, 04:44 PM

My experience has been that if your highest queued item is not available that day, they will go down your list until they find one that is (they will ship you S2 before S1). If your list is short and nothing is available, they will not ship you anything right away but wait until something does become available. Also, the less you rent, the more likely to get a higher priority for your account for a particular DVD than someone that rents alot. And, if you get your DVD to arrive at Netflix on Mon or Tues, it seems more likely that you will get your higher queued item. of course, YMMV (on another note, you really don't need to justify why you are using Netflix - if it works for you and you are happy, then ignore the haters. When it no longer works for you, cancel. Pretty simple)
Old 07-17-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How does it work when the unavailable items becomes available, though? Who gets it, the one that put it on its queue first? That's what I'm hoping.
Old 07-19-08, 02:22 PM

There are probably a lot of factors that go into determining who gets his/her movie and when that happens. I've always thought that it had more to do with when they receive your "watched movie" and if they have the DVD you want (Weeds S2: Disc 1) sitting there in the warehouse. It's interesting that your queue says "Available Soon" because that isn't even an option on their website (Available Now, Short Wait, Long Wait and VLW) are the options they give. There have been some reports of people getting weird messages on their queues lately (Possible Short Wait), but I think those have been rare.

My experience is that they are going to send you whatever is available next in your queue. I remember getting Disc 2 before Disc 1 once (they sent the wrong one) for a series and I sent an e-mail and they sent me Disc 1 and told me to hold on to Disc 2.

So, I think they would probably send you Disc 2 regardless.
Old 07-19-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It said Short Wait. I got sent Disc 2 and another unrelated disc. I decided to watch the first six episodes on Watch It Now and just pick it up on Blu-ray after the sixth ep.

I noticed Showtime On Demand is Full Frame, so I guess I'll be getting Weeds S3 also through Netflix on BD.
Old 07-19-08, 08:48 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can anyone help me with a related netflix issue. I wanted to see stop-loss and my account is set for blu ray. The blu ray version isnt available yet. Netflix keeps sending the movie in to my saved area for blu ray. And I cant figure out how to get the dvd version without taking blu ray off my account. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 07-20-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g
Can anyone help me with a related netflix issue. I wanted to see stop-loss and my account is set for blu ray. The blu ray version isnt available yet. Netflix keeps sending the movie in to my saved area for blu ray. And I cant figure out how to get the dvd version without taking blu ray off my account. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Unfortunately you will need to remove then restore your account's Blu-ray preference.
Old 07-20-08, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I use Netflix for stuff I can't get from the library and BDs. Hence my queue is never more than 5-10 items long. Right now there's two items, Weeds S2 disc 1 and 2. Disc 1 is Available Soon and Disc 2 is Available Now. Is it first come and first serve and I'm in some of waiting queue for disc 1? I.e. leaving it all alone in the queue means I'll probably get it shipped within the week? (even if all I use Netflix is to watch S1 and S2 of Weeds that's $40-$45 of DVDs that I get to see in half a month, which costs $10... I've found I don't really rewatch DVDs, just a handful of them like Office Space).
Here's the official word, copied directly from the Netflix website:

Q: How do DVDs in a series get shipped?

A: If you are renting a series or seasons, we will ship the DVDs in order. That means:
* If you add a season to your Queue, DVDs within that season will be shipped in order (Disc 1 will ship before Disc 2, etc.) unless you specifically change the order in your Queue.

* If there is a wait for a particular DVD in a series, will we wait until we ship you that DVD until we ship the next DVD in that series.

* Seasons will be shipped in order that they appear in your Queue. If you have Season 1 and Season 2 in your Queue (in that order,) Season 2 DVDs will not be shipped to you until all Season 1 have been shipped.
Old 07-20-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's a lie. I got shipped S2D2 of Weeds while S2D1 had a "short wait." S2D1 was on spot #1 and S2D2 was on spot #2.