Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Have you ever returned a DVD from one store to another?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-15-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Don't know if this belongs in this forum. So mods, please move if not. But my question is this. Have you ever bought a DVD from one store and returned it to another. Here's my situation. I was at Target today and I implusively bought "The Bank Job" on BD for $29.99. Which I think is outragous. As I do all of Target's BD movies. When I got home, I went online to see what it was going for elsewhere. It's only $23.99 at Amazon so I bought it there too. Planning on returning the one from Target, to Target. Then I pondered watching the one from Target tonight and returning the one I get from Amazon to Target to get a refund. Is that wrong? And has anyone else done this? The merchandise is identical and will not be opened. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by Daytripper; 07-15-08 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you're going through an awful lot of effort to save 3 or 4 dollars. It's not worth it. And to be honest, your plan sounds confusing as all hell, so I can't offer much in the way of advice.

You mention that you think the Blu-Ray prices at Target are "outrageous"...so out of curiosity, why you keep buying there?
Old 07-15-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work to save a few bucks. Here's an alternate plan:

1)Cancel the Amazon order.
2)Keep the DVD you already purchased.
3)Realize that the prices at Target are too high for your taste.
4)Don't purchase a DVD from Target unless it's at a price you are comfortable with.
5)In the future, don't buy a DVD until you have found the best possible price.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mike7162; 07-15-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd understand if you were saving maybe 10-15 dollars, but not a measly 6 bucks. Cancel your Amazon order and move on with your life.

How much money will you waste in gas on your round trip drive to Best Buy which you should subtract from your $6 savings?

PS -- I'm confused. You said you bought it at Target, then also at Amazon, so you're returning the Amazon purchase at Best Buy? What?
Old 07-15-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, so far. I don't feel this is not a lot of work or effort. I can walk to my nearest Target. And this is the first BD disc I've purchased there. Unless I see the prices drop on the BD's, it will be my last. And it only took seconds to order from Amazon. The most work here is going to be to return anything to Target. And only planned on doing that the next time I'm there. So back to my question, is it o.k. to return a movie from one store to another if it's the exact same item? Not opened.
Old 07-15-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Am I missing something or why is Best Buy even in the picture? I agree with all the advice given, but if you're going to go through with it, why not just return the Amazon one to Target where you bought it? How did Best Buy even become an option?
Old 07-15-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I made a mistake. Best Buy is not involved. I changed my original post.
Old 07-15-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
OK, that makes more sense now. In that case, I agree with others that you should just cancel rather than go through the hassle, especially since most would consider it a grey area or worse.

That said, you'll have to be careful too because the UPC could be different, etc. (Sometimes places like Target put a different UPC sticker over theirs.) But if it's not, if it's EXACTLY the same UPC, product number, etc, then I guess it's the same product and could be returned to Target without a problem.
Old 07-15-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
OK, that makes more sense now. In that case, I agree with others that you should just cancel rather than go through the hassle, especially since most would consider it a grey area or worse.

That said, you'll have to be careful too because the UPC could be different, etc. (Sometimes places like Target put a different UPC sticker over theirs.) But if it's not, if it's EXACTLY the same UPC, product number, etc, then I guess it's the same product and could be returned to Target without a problem.
Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I only wondered if there was a different code or number to signal it was not bought from Target. That would be embarrassing. I'm not a dishonest person. And trust me, I drop a fortune in this store. I just wondered if they would know if certain items returned were not actually purchased there. And if that was somehow illegal. If you purchase as many DVD's as I do, 5 or 6 dollars does add up. So I'll just return the one from Target, and wait for my Amazon purchase. And keep that one.
Old 07-15-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also....just wanted something to watch tonight. Saw the film in the theater. And really enjoyed it. But the film quality (and theater) sucked! So just a little anxious to see it on BD. And quite honestly, I forgot it was released today, or would have ordered it from Amazon to begin with. When I saw it at Target, again, just grabbed it.
Old 07-15-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If the Amazon price is $23.99 it wouldn't qualify for free shipping unless you added something to the order. Wouldn't shipping charges make the disc more expensive?
Old 07-15-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
If the Amazon price is $23.99 it wouldn't qualify for free shipping unless you added something to the order. Wouldn't shipping charges make the disc more expensive?
Nope. And I ordered a book too. So free shipping. And all of my Amazon free shipments arrive in 3 days. None have ever been later.
Old 07-16-08, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is illegal by the way.
Old 07-16-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no sympathy for anyone who buys DVDs and calls the price outragous. Don't buy it if the price is outragous.
Old 07-16-08, 08:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Are you sure?

As long as it is the exact same item, UPC, packaging, everything; and returned unopened, I don't see a crime.
Old 07-16-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Are you sure?

As long as it is the exact same item, UPC, packaging, everything; and returned unopened, I don't see a crime.
Yeah. I don't see this as illegal. I'm sure I've done it before with books. Bought the final Harry Potter book and returned the Amazon copy which took forever to receive. The bookstore didn't care. They got a pristine copy of the same book returned. If it is unopened and the same product, Target shouldn't care.
Old 07-16-08, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you sure?

It isn't anywhere near illegal. And I don't understand all the comments about what a "hassle" it is to do what you're suggesting. It's not, especially if you plan on going back to or near Target within the next 30 days anyway. You're talking $6 for around 5 minutes of work. That's not a bad rate.

The UPC would only be different if Target offerred an exclusive version, which they did not in this case. So, no, there is nothing wrong with returning the unopened one you get from Amazon to Target. Sometimes Amazon doesn't deactivate the security strip inside the case so you might "go off" when you walk in the entrance, but nobody will care.
Old 07-16-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it once with T2: Ultimate Edition. I was eager to have the movie on release date, but too late to cancel my Amazon.com order, so I picked up a copy at a local retailer to enjoy that day. When my Amazon order arrived days later, I returned the Amazon copy to the retailer. But the security alarms went off when I entered the store, because Amazon doesn't deactivate its tags. Nevertheless, the retailer allowed me to return the Amazon DVD, which was still in shrinkwrap with the same UPC.
Old 07-16-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
There is no sympathy for anyone who buys DVDs and calls the price outragous. Don't buy it if the price is outragous.
Get lost. I already explained why I did this.
Old 07-16-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
It isn't anywhere near illegal. And I don't understand all the comments about what a "hassle" it is to do what you're suggesting. It's not, especially if you plan on going back to or near Target within the next 30 days anyway. You're talking $6 for around 5 minutes of work. That's not a bad rate.

The UPC would only be different if Target offerred an exclusive version, which they did not in this case. So, no, there is nothing wrong with returning the unopened one you get from Amazon to Target. Sometimes Amazon doesn't deactivate the security strip inside the case so you might "go off" when you walk in the entrance, but nobody will care.
Thanks. As I said, not only do I walk to this Target, I go there at least once a week, so it's not a big deal. I don't plan on buying any other BD's there unless they are on sale. Or if I have my 10% discount card for using my Target Visa. Again, saw it on the shelf, forgot the title was out, and didn't think twice. I didn't even see the price actually. It was only when I got home and looked at the receipt that I realized how much I spent on it. That's why I went online to see what it cost elsewhere. But I also didn't want to do anything illegal either. I stopped in there on the way in to work today and returned it. So everything is taken care of. And sorry, but $5 or $6 dollars savings is nothing to sneeze ad. This stuff adds up. I know people who drive a mile further to get gas that's 3 cents cheaper.
Old 07-16-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is pretty logical, and not illegal. The only time it's illegal is if you're doing it for profit. Let's say you bought the DVD at Amazon for $23.99 and then returned it to Target with no receipt, but for an in-store credit of $29.99 + tax (6% here in Michigan) so you're profiting approximately $7.80 cents. That's illegal. But to do what you're doing to get back the extra $7.80 cents in the first place, as long as it's an identical item, is not illegal. I can't believe all the people who are saying not to do this. If you guys can all afford to throw away eight bucks every now and then, throw it my way. I'll put a couple of gallons of gas in my car with your money.

You should, however, pay a little more attention to how much you're spending next time. Or if this Target is in walking distance, maybe hold off on a purchase until you've been able to check prices elsewhere, so you don't have to go through this.
Old 07-16-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
t's not, especially if you plan on going back to or near Target within the next 30 days anyway.
Target's return policy gives you 90 days.
Old 07-16-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kory
This is pretty logical, and not illegal. The only time it's illegal is if you're doing it for profit. Let's say you bought the DVD at Amazon for $23.99 and then returned it to Target with no receipt, but for an in-store credit of $29.99 + tax (6% here in Michigan) so you're profiting approximately $7.80 cents. That's illegal. But to do what you're doing to get back the extra $7.80 cents in the first place, as long as it's an identical item, is not illegal. I can't believe all the people who are saying not to do this. If you guys can all afford to throw away eight bucks every now and then, throw it my way. I'll put a couple of gallons of gas in my car with your money.

You should, however, pay a little more attention to how much you're spending next time. Or if this Target is in walking distance, maybe hold off on a purchase until you've been able to check prices elsewhere, so you don't have to go through this.
I agree. And I've never done this before. I'm a pretty wise and thrifty shopper all around. Someone must have picked this BD up, decided they didn't want it, and put in at the end of one of the DVD aisles where it didn't belong. It was the only one there. And as I was rolling my cart by, I saw it and grabbed it. Don't know if you've seen Target's music and movie section, but it's a mess. Half the items aren't in the right place. But I bought "I, Robot" there when it came out and it was only $24.99. So I just assumed this had to be around that price. I know, never assume. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I knew nothing was on TV that night so what the hell. Bottom line, I took it the register with everything else. In addition to going to Amazon online when I got home, I went to Target to see how much their other BD's were. And to see if they had some type of matching price deal that some store's do. That's when I noticed most of their BD's are $29.99. In the end, the item was returned. I'll have the one from Amazon by Friday or Saturday at the latest. And I saved some money.
Old 07-16-08, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Also....just wanted something to watch tonight. Saw the film in the theater. And really enjoyed it. But the film quality (and theater) sucked! So just a little anxious to see it on BD. And quite honestly, I forgot it was released today, or would have ordered it from Amazon to begin with. When I saw it at Target, again, just grabbed it.
Target isn't a rental service. If you're looking for a movie to rent, try Blockbuster or Netflix.
Old 07-16-08, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
This is pretty logical, and not illegal. The only time it's illegal is if you're doing it for profit. Let's say you bought the DVD at Amazon for $23.99 and then returned it to Target with no receipt, but for an in-store credit of $29.99 + tax (6% here in Michigan) so you're profiting approximately $7.80 cents. That's illegal.
Or, say, if you bought the entire series of 24 during that recent coupon situation for 27 bucks, and returned it to another store without receipt for about 360 dollars in store credit.

...*runs away*

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.