Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ain't it that time again at Deep Discount?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ain't it that time again at Deep Discount?

Old 04-10-08, 08:00 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Richmond, MA
Posts: 357
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ain't it that time again at Deep Discount?

Okay, refresh my memory...ain't it just about time for their "you know what" sale about to begin? I'm only giving you all a 20% chance of guessing what the hell I'm referring to!!!
Old 04-10-08, 08:10 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 months early. It's usually the first week of June.
Old 04-11-08, 08:40 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,453
Likes: 0
Received 341 Likes on 224 Posts
Although this is the time when you start seeing the first questions about it...
Old 04-11-08, 08:55 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...followed closely by the first threadlocks.

Followed by some people debating whether to pull the trigger now on some sale items or wait for the-sale-that-shall-not-be-named to get an even better discount off the sale items.

Followed by the start of tstsnbn which just happens to coincide both with the end of all other sales, and with the complaints of these memory-challenged, obsessively frugal types who forgot that this is the same way it worked the last time.
Old 04-11-08, 09:03 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,118
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you forgot the price argument's and if the sale is really a sale
Old 04-11-08, 02:27 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Yakuza Bengoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Region Free
Posts: 1,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^You both forgot, the discussion of whether there will even be another sale. "There's no guarantee, nothing's written in stone. etc. etc." There, we can mark that one off the list now.

I can hardly wait for the sale to be over so people can start complaining about how DD screwed up their order, intolerably delayed their order, sent damaged goods, or packed the DVDs poorly resulting in damage in shipment etc, and thus they'll never shop there again. Those are always amusing.
Old 04-11-08, 10:57 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,459
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I can hardly wait for the sale to be over so people can start complaining about how DD screwed up their order, intolerably delayed their order, sent damaged goods, or packed the DVDs poorly resulting in damage in shipment etc, and thus they'll never shop there again. Those are always amusing.
Until the next hot, irresistible deal which forces them to forget their sworn oaths. This also applies to Amazon deals.
Old 04-12-08, 06:21 AM
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 272
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truely the equivalent of Thanksgiving dinner for the folks at DVDtalk. Everybody shows up, some get drunk & spew their negativity all over the place trying to spoil it for everybody else, & others just sit there dazed & overstuffed from all the crap they just bought, & the rest of them sit back laughing at all the folks fighting over crap they won't even remember until the next big get together rolls around.

Last edited by fitlissa76; 04-12-08 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-12-08, 12:36 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 11,804
Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlissa76
Truely the equivalent of Thanksgiving dinner for the folks at DVDtalk. Everybody shows up, some get drunk & spew their negativity all over the place trying to spoil it for everybody else, & others just sit there dazed & overstuffed from all the crap they just bought, & the rest of them sit back laughing at all the folks fighting over crap they won't even remember until the next big get together rolls around.
Well said. ;-)
Old 04-20-08, 04:42 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i always wait for this but the last time i purchased dvds that were $15 a few months later at best buy they were under $10. so i think we could be getting to the point were it's better to wait for best buy or circuit city to put our favorites at under $10 instead of using 20% off at ddd.
Old 04-20-08, 09:26 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,176
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mostaccioli
i always wait for this but the last time i purchased dvds that were $15 a few months later at best buy they were under $10. so i think we could be getting to the point were it's better to wait for best buy or circuit city to put our favorites at under $10 instead of using 20% off at ddd.

which is exactly why i buy titles that best buy and circuit city don't carry.
Old 04-24-08, 11:22 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: closer than you'd like
Posts: 1,668
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^And which is why I use it for movies I can't get from Columbia House (for $5 each), and boxed sets that aren't a good deal there. But blindly buying into the 20% frenzy is foolish--for example, Amazon winds up price-matching (or beating) a lot of stuff.
Old 04-28-08, 05:26 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,447
Likes: 0
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Until the next hot, irresistible deal which forces them to forget their sworn oaths. This also applies to Amazon deals.
This sale stopped being "hot" and "irresistable" a while ago. With their price changes and poor customer service, I've gotten over DD.
Old 04-28-08, 05:36 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,550
Received 260 Likes on 201 Posts
Usually before the 20 sale they have a lot an A&E sale for B1G1 for the sets like the complete Prisoner, Jeeves and Wooster, etc.
Old 04-30-08, 11:45 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,144
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This sale stopped being "hot" and "irresistable" a while ago. With their price changes and poor customer service, I've gotten over DD.
+1

It ain't like the old days.
Old 04-30-08, 04:45 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Yakuza Bengoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Region Free
Posts: 1,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I can hardly wait for the sale to be over so people can start complaining about how DD screwed up their order, intolerably delayed their order, sent damaged goods, or packed the DVDs poorly resulting in damage in shipment etc, and thus they'll never shop there again. Those are always amusing.
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This sale stopped being "hot" and "irresistable" a while ago. With their price changes and poor customer service, I've gotten over DD.
I can't figure out whether your post constitutes a late entry for a complaint about the last sale, or a preemptive complaint about the next sale, or both, but in any case, good show.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.