Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Someone from the Post Office Opened My Mail and Stole from Me

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Someone from the Post Office Opened My Mail and Stole from Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Someone from the Post Office Opened My Mail and Stole from Me

Something that I had ordered from the Discovery Channel Store would have arrived today, except the envelope that was delivered to me had been sliced open and the merchandise wasn't there. It was delivered by UPS Innovations, which means it was originally picked up by UPS, and then sent to the Post Office, who then delivered it to me. I live in an apartment building and my mailbox has its own key, so the tampering wasn't done by anyone in my building.

I called the Discovery customer service, and they said they will be sending me an email within 72 hours where they will tell me how they will handle this.
Old 01-28-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Good luck getting UPS or the Post Office to take responsibility for your missing merchandise. You have to love that set up when neither party has to take responsibility and can just blame the other provider.
Old 01-28-13, 03:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Good luck getting UPS or the Post Office to take responsibility for your missing merchandise. You have to love that set up when neither party has to take responsibility and can just blame the other provider.

Thanks. It sure is a weird setup.
Old 01-29-13, 01:20 PM
Banned

Discovery emailed me and said they will be sending me another one.

I went to the post office to report this theft, and they insisted that it wasn't stolen, and that a machine had caused the slice in the envelope. I suppose that's a possibility, but not a certainty. They said they would contact me if the item shows up at their lost and found at their central facility. Of course since I'm being sent another one, the original one is no longer my property.
Old 01-29-13, 04:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had three things ripped open in the past 2 years. I always ship everything in boxes, it eliminates the theft. It is too easy to slice open an envelop and claim a machine did it. It doesn't happen in your local office, it happens in the giant plants where the sketchy characters work. I work for the post office, so I always tell people not to put gift cards, coins, or anything of real value in an envelop.
Old 01-30-13, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RonG617
I have had three things ripped open in the past 2 years. I always ship everything in boxes, it eliminates the theft. It is too easy to slice open an envelop and claim a machine did it. It doesn't happen in your local office, it happens in the giant plants where the sketchy characters work. I work for the post office, so I always tell people not to put gift cards, coins, or anything of real value in an envelop.
Thanks for the advice.

My replacement copy was just delivered via UPS overnight.

It's season 5 of Mythbusters. Funny how the cover has a picture from "Paper Crossbow," which is actually from season 4 (which I already own).
Old 05-02-15, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a DVD site but I sell sportscards, dvds and just stuff like that on Instagram and had a young gentleman whom doesn't have paypal send me money in a plain envelope (yes stupid I know) and before it made it to me it was opened and the money taken but the note he wrote was left lol. This happened just a few days ago and before that I've had multiple envelopes opened and cards taken out. If I have them sent to my mothers house everything always shows up perfectly because she lives on a nicer side of town then I do.. It's pretty crappy that we as the public can't do anything but sit back and take it when the post office employees steal from us.. It has happened a total of 3 times to me for a total loss of over 250 dollars worth of funds and cards... So now I have to spend a extra 45 min to a hour a day driving to my moms to check the mail..
Old 05-02-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Back when I was selling on eBay, probably the late 90s, I was selling off my collection of toys. (Transformers, if you must know.)

This one guy bought a bunch, and mailed me the payment. (This was before PayPal, or at least before it became mandatory.) Didn't think much about it. A couple of days later he e-mailed me and asked if I had received his payment yet. I answered back, "No. Give it another a day or two."

Next day, he e-mailed me again, asking if I had gotten his payment. Again, no.

So the next day, the mail comes. One of the things in my mail is a big yellow envelope that was folded over and wrapped up in silver duck tape. I'm wondering what the hell this is. I open it up, and was this guy's payment for the auction. He had sent me cash, like five one hundred dollar bills, a fifty, and a twenty. Something like that.

To this day, it baffles me as to why he just buy a fucking money order for a dollar.
Old 05-02-15, 03:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Do the police have any leads on the original post?
Old 05-03-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Unfortunately the owner of the stolen goods from the OP is no longer with us.
Old 05-04-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RyderDaniel
I know this is a DVD site but I sell sportscards, dvds and just stuff like that on Instagram and had a young gentleman whom doesn't have paypal send me money in a plain envelope (yes stupid I know) and before it made it to me it was opened and the money taken but the note he wrote was left lol. This happened just a few days ago and before that I've had multiple envelopes opened and cards taken out. If I have them sent to my mothers house everything always shows up perfectly because she lives on a nicer side of town then I do.. It's pretty crappy that we as the public can't do anything but sit back and take it when the post office employees steal from us.. It has happened a total of 3 times to me for a total loss of over 250 dollars worth of funds and cards... So now I have to spend a extra 45 min to a hour a day driving to my moms to check the mail..
Why not get a PO box?
Old 05-05-15, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyderDaniel
This happened just a few days ago and before that I've had multiple envelopes opened and cards taken out. If I have them sent to my mothers house everything always shows up perfectly because she lives on a nicer side of town then I do.. It's pretty crappy that we as the public can't do anything but sit back and take it when the post office employees steal from us..
If the difference is really this stark, then you need to lodge a complaint with USPS. I wouldn't bother with the local post office, but call the 1-800 number, explain the situation, and follow their advice. A quick web search took me to https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ , which also looks helpful. You'll be doing both yourself and your neighbors a great deal of good.