Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many Out of stocks and discontinued at FYE.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was browsing through FYE.com and noticed that there were tons of Blu-ray and HD DVD's that were either out of stock or discontinued. Is this place going out of business or what? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 02-07-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't speak to anything specific, but Paramount discontinued all their Blu-Rays, and WB will soon stop producing HD DVDs (as well as WB releasing combo and non-combo versions of a film, where they discontinue the combo version) so it might just be reflecting that. It might not be FYE at all.
Old 02-07-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's more than just that. I'd say most of the titles show discontinued or out of stock. It's strange. Maybe it's just a website problem?
Old 02-07-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE.com is evil,. avoid them, it took 3 months for a simple DVD to get to me...and another one never came and it takes 2 months to get a refund processed. AVOID!!!
Old 02-07-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can tell you that FYE is having problems in my area. They closed down one mall location about 2 years ago, and rumors are that their only remaining location in the Flint area will be closing down soon.

I see them as a Media Play with better funding, allowing them to survive longer. However, I think they'll end just like Media Play did - going out of business because enough customers finally realize that only a fool pays full MSRP for something.
Old 02-07-08, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think is only a matter of time before all Transworld stores and chains go up in flames. The sell most of their items at full retail. They only carry specials on new releases for one week or two and then they raised the price to MSRP, while their competitors actually lower the price. Their idea of selling used DVDs at high prices doesn't help them either. Give them a couple of years and they'll be gone.
Old 02-12-08, 08:48 AM
HTN

Well, chalk up another Fye store on the casualty list. I decided to stop by their store in NYC (51st & 6th) and noticed that they have closed. I was bummed out for missing a potential closing sale. But then again, it was take a significant discount (50% or higher) to bring their prices down to par with other retailers.
Old 02-12-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when Media Play went out of print and they were giving away 40-60% off on titles... They were still somewhat high.
Old 02-14-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HTN
Well, chalk up another Fye store on the casualty list. I decided to stop by their store in NYC (51st & 6th) and noticed that they have closed. I was bummed out for missing a potential closing sale. But then again, it was take a significant discount (50% or higher) to bring their prices down to par with other retailers.

Unless it's a chain-wide shut-down, don't expect much. When we lost one of our local FYE's, one of the employees I knew told me that nothing big would go on sale because any merchandise that actually sells would be shuffled over to another location. And even if it's chain-wide, there's still a possibility of not getting anything good....

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I remember when Media Play went out of print and they were giving away 40-60% off on titles... They were still somewhat high.
Not to mention all the good stuff was long gone. Media Play was a part of the Best Buy conglomerate, so anything that was a guaranteed seller got moved to another store. Then on top of that, there was a company that came in and bought up the remaining stock. If you noticed, they roped off the entire book section before the discounts got really low, and that was because they knew they'd get a better price in the buyout.