Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Best Buy Rant - Banned from their store with false accusations

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Another Best Buy Rant - Banned from their store with false accusations

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sillymonkey

personally, if i owned a store than sold food, no, i won't take back stuff that's opened. but walmart stands by all its products. it can afford to. if i owned a small store, i won't be able to. simply put, as a consumer, i wasn't satisfied with the item and they agreed to take it back. simple as that.
So you don't mind fucking over Walmart because they are the big kid on the block. Yet you would be pissed if someone try to do the same to you if you owned a store. That's weak, you are pathetic.
Old 01-27-08, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
So you don't mind fucking over Walmart because they are the big kid on the block. Yet you would be pissed if someone try to do the same to you if you owned a store. That's weak, you are pathetic.
no, i won't. i said, if i sold food, i won't have walmart's policies with regard to used foodstuff. i don't know how a grocer is run. from what i see as an outsider, i can't imagine how they can afford to take stuff back. maybe their markup is high. i don't know.

i know that i do own a store, and i do stand by what i make/sell. as i said before, if by rare chance, something was not produced up to par, or because of mis-production my items fail before the guaranteed lifespan, yes, even up to 3-4 years, depending on the product, i will replace the item, free of charge. they don't even have to send the item back to me. a photo will surffice.

so no, that's not weak. if i can afford to do it, i'm pretty sure walmart can. i'm saying that if i owned a grocery, i'm pretty sure i won't have walmart's policies but maybe i will, as i said, i don't know what kind of markups/% returns/% items that spoil in the store etc that grocers have.
Old 01-27-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i know that i do own a store, and i do stand by what i make/sell. as i said before, if by rare chance, something was not produced up to par, or because of mis-production my items fail before the guaranteed lifespan, yes, even up to 3-4 years, depending on the product, i will replace the item, free of charge. they don't even have to send the item back to me. a photo will surffice.
You didnt' take the tea back because it wasn't produced correctly or because it's lifespan had expired. You took it back because it wasn't your taste. Lame.
Old 01-27-08, 02:43 PM

You didnt' take the tea back because it wasn't produced correctly or because it's lifespan had expired. You took it back because it wasn't your taste. Lame.
no, i took it back because i wasn't satisfied with it. i'm assuming it was produced correctly. it sure didn't taste like it was, when comparing it to the other flavors
Old 01-27-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No one is going to convince you differently so I will not even try. You are the person who, in stores, makes a spectacle of themself and leaves everyone else around them in the store saying, "What is wrong with this fucking idiot?"

If you have no problem being that person, then soldier on.
Old 01-27-08, 02:57 PM

No one is going to convince you differently so I will not even try. You are the person who, in stores, makes a spectacle of themself and leaves everyone else around them in the store saying, "What is wrong with this fucking idiot?"

If you have no problem being that person, then soldier on.
no, i don't have a problem with that at all. i have long accepted that i'm not all quite there. why should i care about what a bunch of strangers think about me? you shouldn't either. why live your life based on what you *THINK* strangers around you are thinking?
Old 01-27-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
sillymonkey,

I agree with you and think you should make them all pay. With fire. Beautiful, cleansing fire. Oh yes.
Old 01-27-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by dork
sillymonkey,

I agree with you and think you should make them all pay. With fire. Beautiful, cleansing fire. Oh yes.
Be careful, she may actually do it...
Old 01-27-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Disclosure: I own a kerosene supply store with a strict "All sales final" policy.
Old 01-27-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no, i don't have a problem with that at all. i have long accepted that i'm not all quite there. why should i care about what a bunch of strangers think about me? you shouldn't either. why live your life based on what you *THINK* strangers around you are thinking?
It isn't that you should care what other think about you or live your life based on what strangers think (although why bitch to us on here is your eally dont' care). However, if everyone else, whether they are a stranger or not, thinks you have a problem, then maybe you have a problem. So, maybe you have a problem.
Old 01-27-08, 04:09 PM

Old 01-27-08, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Why do you equate wasting money with self respect?

Right!! Because complaining that a manager was rude when they really weren't is soooo satisfying. The service people at BBY are never rude, they have such an excellent reputation - just look at all the posts in this forum praising them.
Yup. I have no problem with equating taking an "hour" drive to return a box of tea that cost me a couple of dollars, because I didn't like the taste, with a lack of self respect/value. My time is worth more than that. The GAS involved is worth more than that.

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
It's not that you don't trust her retelling, its that you WANT to disbelieve her. You think people should be good little consumers and conform to your own made up rules about how to spend their money. She doesn't conform and you don't like it.
Its clear from your posts in this thread that you WANT to believe her much more than I DON'T WANT to. You obviously have a grudge/dislike of Best Buy (or just 'The Man' in general). Fair enough. My dislike is people who abuse the system and screw it up for the rest of us (through tightened return policies and/or higher prices to cover high returns and inventory costs).
Old 01-27-08, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but i thought this forum was for people to rant, whether or not you believe their stories or not. If you don't believe the story, or the whole thread annoys you, or whatever, don't read it. don't keep posting and responding.
Any post in this forum (most forums I know of) invites discussion. But feel free to take your own advice.
Old 01-27-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You overuse store resources and they don't want you around. Completely reasonable.
Old 01-27-08, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You overuse store resources and they don't want you around. Completely reasonable.
then they should have said so - politely. that is completely reasonable.

and i posted on this forum because i don't care what strangers think about me. if i were worried about readers thinking i'm nuts, i would not have posted my store.

i did not drive 1 hr just to return a box of tea. sounds like smorri is even madder than me to even consider that option. no, i made the return then picked up my usual weekly groceries. of course, smorri would have a problem if i returned 1 item, or 100 items so it won't matter anyway.

i think it's just angry that i am able to spend so much at BB while it is one of the 'unwashed masses' as it put it. but yes, i will take my own advice. this will be my last post on the matter.
Old 01-27-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Sillymonkey, you should probably just let this thread die. It seems like people are going to just keep attacking you and really you shouldn't have to defend yourself. If everything you tell us is true, then you are absolutely correct that Best Buy should have warned you and been more polite. They should always be polite. There is no rational person on this board who would say otherwise. We all want to be treated with respect and you're no different.

Good luck with working on your dvd habit.
Old 01-27-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
No, i don't think spending that much money at BB entitles me to any special treatment. However, I expect to be treated as fairly as any other regular customer, even if i am a regular/demanding customer.
Doesn't Best Buy have one of those typical policies where they have the right to refuse service to anyone? It seems like they got tired of what you were doing, and enforced a policy they weren't using on you prior.

Your big issue here seems to be that the employees were rude towards you. I hate to say it, but there are a heck of a lot of rude people out there. If I wanted you out of my store forever, I doubt I would be very nice to you either.

I would have banned you as well. Regardless of whether or not you were following store policies, you were taking advantage of the company and employees. Not to mention, you were inconveniencing quite a few people.

[sillymonkey] If they just would have been nice to me, there wouldn't be a problem. I'm strange. Don't judge me. Why are you here talking about this? [/sillymonkey]
Old 01-27-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
i don't know about you, but i'd be pretty offended if someone gave me tea they didn't like. you didn't like it so you're giving it to me? thanks a lot. you shouldn't have. really.

personally, if i owned a store than sold food, no, i won't take back stuff that's opened. but walmart stands by all its products. it can afford to. if i owned a small store, i won't be able to. simply put, as a consumer, i wasn't satisfied with the item and they agreed to take it back. simple as that.
Because we all know that everyone in the world has the same taste and if I don't like something, no one else does...

Wow. Just wow.
Old 01-27-08, 08:29 PM

you're snatching up the release day exclusives or big discount items like the HBO sets then returning the ones you couldn't flip. that's a rotten thing to do to the other collectors in your area. obviously if you don't see a problem with that - then you won't understand why they banned you. but i'm glad they finally banned you and i hope you're able to straighten out your mental problems
Old 01-27-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Smorri
Yup. I have no problem with equating taking an "hour" drive to return a box of tea that cost me a couple of dollars, because I didn't like the taste, with a lack of self respect/value. My time is worth more than that. The GAS involved is worth more than that.
Lol! You REALLLY want to think sillymonkey is an ass don't you? It didn't even occur to you that she returned the tea the next time she went shopping. She practically told you that's what she did and you still make up stories.

Its clear from your posts in this thread that you WANT to believe her much more than I DON'T WANT to.
List one thing she has said that gives a reasonable person cause to disbelieve her. Nothing she has written is self-contradictory, nor fantastical. Her narrative is internally consistent. She has given me no cause to suspect misrepresentation. YOU on the other hand have been making up stories about sillymonkey (like the one above about driving an hour just return a $2 box of tea) to try to rationalize your dislike.

You obviously have a grudge/dislike of Best Buy (or just 'The Man' in general).
Lol. You might be very surprised to learn just how much "the man" I actually am. I'm pretty sure I've spent more years working in a retail business, with much more of a personal interest in the success of the company, than you have.
Old 01-27-08, 10:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
and i posted on this forum because i don't care what strangers think about me. if i were worried about readers thinking i'm nuts, i would not have posted my store.
I must have missed this. What is "your store"?
Old 01-27-08, 10:14 PM

Your husband must be a saint.

I am a 28 year old Asian male who was born and raised here in Texas. I am an investor of a small mom and pop restaurant and am one of the CEOs of my company. We do many things but one of our largest departments is our service department which I have a big hand in running at times.

I have a few things to say...as I have found this whole post so entertaining for some odd reason and you very interesting to say the least.

Do I think you might have a slight OCD issue? Yes, I do. Do I in anyway think you are a bad person or possess any malice in your crazy habits, not at all. I will admit as my position as an owner and the head of service at my job I would probably not wish you to be a customer of mine. But not in a million years would I ever treat you in the fashion as that BB manager did. If your story is as you state, then they are in the wrong and corporate will side in your favor. I will tell you that your practice in buying and returning leaves them no choice but to have suspicions as to what your intentions are, they of course will suspect you as a reseller, anyone would. Now if you really buy them for friends or what not then good for you, that is very kind, but how many friends do you buy dvds for and how do you over estimate every week that you would need to do that many returns?

I have an very unhealthy addiction to dvds, I love the packaging and everything about them, I buy and buy even though I have hundreds of movies and tv series I have yet to even take out of the their packaging and watch. I have a ballpark of 1500-1700 dvds that I proudly display on a large hand made bookshelf I built just for my dvds. And as many here would claim, dvd collecting is my hobby, but I would be confident in saying you could not find another collector here that practices your buying habits and claims to only be buying for the joy of their hobby.

Do I think you being Asian had something to do with the treatment you got? Maybe in this case, who knows. But I will say there are unsavory characters of every race and your actions are what caused this reaction, not your skin color. Also please do not think that because you spend a certain amount that in anyway you have justified your excessive actions. I would kindly ask you to leave my restaurant or find business elsewhere in my lines of work, but I am a hot head and wish I had the patience for customers like you...I am working on it, because that is the true sign of a professional in my book.

In closing with my two cents here....

1. You ARE Scary (because your ways remind me of my mother and my aunts and dear lord I want to buy your husband a drink...only those with an Asian mother can understand what I am saying)

2. Not in the wrong - If you were within the requirements for their return policy and the product was not opened or damaged then I see no problem. (I am not of the mold who thinks returning cheese or tea if I dont like it is even worth the trouble)

3. Shameless - To be able to go in with 40 box sets/dvds for return is gutsy to say the least.

4. I love you!

Kidding on the last one, but you are so interesting and thanks everyone for a great read. Please do move to Texas...peace and love. ; )
Old 01-27-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X
I must have missed this. What is "your store"?
"Story"
Old 01-28-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-28-08, 02:04 AM
Banned

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.