Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Gamefly-Poor Customer Service

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-27-07, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought Two Worlds a little over a week ago and now before me even getting the item in hand the dropped the price $8 and give free shipping. I understand prices change but this is rediculous. I called to get a price adjustment..Even a credit and I will buy something else and they said they cannot do it! If you want a company to give good support this should have been an easy fix. Buyer Beware.
Old 12-27-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Is there anything in their terms that say they do price adjustments? If not, just because amazon and others have a liberal policy, it doesn't mean that gamefly has to, especially when they're selling used games. Can't you return it and rebuy?
Old 12-27-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamefly doesn't have a price adjustment policy; therefore, it's not ridiculous.
Old 12-12-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Gamefly-Poor Customer Service

Old thread, didn't want to make a new one

Watch out for gamefly

I just signed up recently for a 1 month free membership to try them out. I send back COD MW2 over 8 days ago and nothing else has shipped. I have noted that every day since then that Marvel ultimate alliance 2 has has HIGH availability yet it still hasn't shipped. So I emailed support 2 days ago.. This is what I got
Our apologies. We have reviewed your account and noted that you currently have only very high demand items in your GameQ. Due to the low availability of these games, we are unable to ship another game to you immediately. Therefore, we do recommend that you place more released games in your GameQ so you do not miss out on receiving titles.
Bullshit. They are dragging their asses just because I sent back COD MW2 after 1 day, not my fault that I finished it in one day. I just sent them a nasty mail about this as they are not only not doing what they promised but they are bold faced lying to me. I can only assume I am not the only one having this issue.

/rant off
Old 12-12-09, 09:18 PM

That has been an issue with gamefly for years. It used to be a decent service before they expanded and changed their availability system.
Old 12-12-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

My wife signed up for Gamefly but a horrible turnaround time led her to cancel after just a couple of months.
Old 12-12-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,194 Likes on 818 Posts

We signed up for Gamefly last year for our son (he received a DS for his birthday). I figured if he rents a game every weekend it will cost more than the 2-out plan. This way he has more of a selection, can pick what he wants, and is not stuck if he gets a crap game. Overall, it has served it's purpose.

That said ... shipping is extremely slow. I advised him not to send both games at one time for this reason.
Old 12-13-09, 03:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gamefly has filed complaints with the Postal Service because of the slow turnaround. They claim Netflix and Blockbuster get preferred treatment. The real problem is that Netflix and Blockbuster discs can be run on automated machines which process mail a whole lot faster. Gamefly with the cardboard inserts have to be hand sorted and it really slows things up. The hand sorting can add an extra day both ways in transit, but doesn't explain why it takes 4 days or more for things to get checked in with them.
Old 12-14-09, 01:49 PM

Gotta read the fine print. As for free shipping... are you a member of Gamefly? Because if you are your purchases will always ship free.

I've used gamefly a long time and success boils down to a couple simple things. Manage your queue wisely (i.e., only keep games you really want in there) and drop you games off at the post office when you can to get them scanned for fast return.

As long as Gamefly can save me $60/mo. and/or the cost of 1 retail game I'm happy with it. And it has done that many times over regardless of the occasional shipping delay. I can only manage about 2 games a month between work and life but that amounts to 24 games a year. If I bought all those I'd have spent at least a $1k but as it stands, my investment for a year of Gamefly comes to a couple hundred bucks. I can't argue with that.
Old 12-14-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonG617
Gamefly has filed complaints with the Postal Service because of the slow turnaround.
I have to call bullshit on that.

Gamefly may have told you that they have filed complaints with USPS, but they are lying about USPS being the problem.

I tried gamefly a couple of years back and it was the exact same problem as glassdragon has complained about.

They are a shitty scam company that needs to go out of business.
Old 12-14-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tljdvdtlk
and drop you games off at the post office when you can to get them scanned for fast return.
i'd like to add its worth trying different mailboxes to find out which ones will do the fast return. i have a post office close to me that this works in every single time. i mail a game and 2 days later a new one is shipped to me.

I occasionally have a problem with a low availability game not shipping but my Q has plenty of games in it that something else will ship. No big deal there. I've been using gamefly since '05 and have been very happy.

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Old 12-15-09, 12:50 PM

The information on Gamefly vs. the USPS is readily available. No one is making it up. It's a matter of public record.

And it is definitely worth experimenting with different postal drop boxes. For the longest time I never had fast return work when I dropped my games in the box closest to my house but when I'd drop it at the post office next to my office it worked like a charm and has been ever since.
Old 12-15-09, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly

Unfortunately they are one of the few companies that rents games and having tried some of the other ones they are the best/most professional. I agree their turn around times can be ridiculous, and don't get me started on the number of times I've had a slot available when a new game has come out and I didn't get it. However if you are looking for games via mail they are still the best IMHO and I highly recommend them. You just have to manage your Q more carefully than Netflix/Blockbuster[1] and don't expect the same quickness in turn around as you usually get w/ those companies. In some ways this can be expected since games are more expensive than DVDs (even blurays) so their stock numbers are going to be less, they generally take longer to play than movies (so the amount of time at someone's home is greater) and their "keep it" policy can be very generous if you time things right. For example I picked up both L4D games the week they came out, which happened to coincide w/ Gamefly's $10 off fall coupon, so I was able to pickup both games for about $35 ea on release week as a new game. This removes stock from their pool and the more people who do this the fewer copies they have to send out. Each to their own, but again I recommend Gamefly if someone is looking for a rental via mail service.

[1] If you don't have anything "available" in your Q chances are nothing is going to ship. I also recommend at least doing the 2 at a time plan so you can have one at home while the other is shipping. When you receive the new one send the old one back.

Last edited by nemein; 12-15-09 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tljdvdtlk
The information on Gamefly vs. the USPS is readily available. No one is making it up. It's a matter of public record.

And it is definitely worth experimenting with different postal drop boxes. For the longest time I never had fast return work when I dropped my games in the box closest to my house but when I'd drop it at the post office next to my office it worked like a charm and has been ever since.
Check the pick up times for the collection boxes. If it says 2 pm and you put something in at 3 then it is going to sit all night long until 2 the next day. That is the only time it is going to make a difference how fast it gets to where it is going. Mail gets picked up from the post office to be brought to the main plant 2 to 3 times a day. Once around noon, then around 3:30 and then 5:30. You leave it in a can or in your mailbox it will mostly get back to the office after 3:30 and go out with the 5:30 truck to get processed. You go to the post office and drop it off before 12 and it will be down in the plant that day and get worked and be on a truck or plane that same day. Dropping it off in the morning at the post office is the key to gaining a day. There are no faster collection cans, they have to be hit on or after the times marked on the top and they are scanned to verify they are picked up the right times. The best can is the one in front of the p.o. because that is hit several times a day because it fills up so fast.
Old 12-15-09, 08:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Canceled my Gamefly account after 2 months due to their extremely long turn-around times (about 5 days for me in Atlanta - IF it was in stock).

You know what else made me cancel?; the fact that they installed a GameFly self-service machine (like a RedBox) at the Barnes & Noble on Georgia Tech's campus.

Oh, and I just read in Video Business News that Redbox is currently rolling out video game rentals in certain areas. It cost $2 per night.
Old 12-16-09, 04:14 PM

Blockbuster is also testing out renting video games by mail in select cities. If they manage to stay in business, it could be some big competition coming for Gamefly.
Old 12-16-09, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO by the end of my time w/ them I found BB to be worst than Gamefly. My last month they only shipped maybe 1/2 dozen titles (on the 3 out plan and I generally only keep things 1 or 2 nights). When I wrote to the CS there was no real explanation, so I dumped them. Now if Netflix were to get into gaming that would be another story.
Old 12-19-09, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,194 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by rich-y
Canceled my Gamefly account after 2 months due to their extremely long turn-around times (about 5 days for me in Atlanta - IF it was in stock).

You know what else made me cancel?; the fact that they installed a GameFly self-service machine (like a RedBox) at the Barnes & Noble on Georgia Tech's campus.

Oh, and I just read in Video Business News that Redbox is currently rolling out video game rentals in certain areas. It cost $2 per night.
Depending on your gaming habits/needs the machine may or may not be the better deal. If you are looking for a weekend rental, the machine works. However, 2 games x 30 nights x $2/night = $120. Same would be $23 (roundabouts) with the service.

How much does the Gamefly machine cost? Is it a monthly fee or individual rentals?