Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD Die Hard BD set pricing issue

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ordered the Die Hard BD set from DDD on the release date and during the sale. At that point the price was $95+. At the end of the week, before the sale ended, they dropped the price to $82.95. So I emailed them to find out whether they would adjust the price to the new reduced price and then apply the 20%. At first they said I was paying less than the $82.95, so there was no need for a price adjustment. I responded about the discount. They responded today saying that the would not make the price adjustment. It's been backordered and has not yet shipped.

Hasn't their usual policy been to adjust prices, if they decrease, even during a sale, and apply the discount to that lowered price? Or am I imagining this??? It's not like it's a few pennies or something. it's about a $15 difference. Should I call rather than email? Never really had issues in all the years with DDD, but this is strange. . .
Old 11-26-07, 09:19 AM

Did you try to just cancel the order?
Old 11-26-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I got burned in a similar way at their retail store. I bought all the South Park sets on the 16th. On the 23rd they were all dropped to 17.98 in store. They would not do any adjustment for me.

Oh well, less business of mine for them.
Old 11-26-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have cancelled it and then re-ordered it.
Old 11-26-07, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You should have cancelled it and then re-ordered it.
That is true, but I really should not *have to* do that. If I ask for the adjustment to the price it would have been had I ordered it later in the week, then they *should* simply do the price adjustment. I can see not making the adjustment if they dropped the price after the sale was over. It just made more sense to ask for the price adjustment. By the time they got back to me to say, no dice, (this morning) it was too late. oh well, live and learn. I'll probably try calling anyway. . .
Old 11-26-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Yeah, speaking of, DD hasn't gotten back to me on a price match issue that I sent them 4 days ago. They are usually quick to respond about anything else.
Old 11-26-07, 04:09 PM

Call DD, do NOT email. Call until you get a non-outsourced person. I got a price adjustment on this exact issue, same thing happened, only difference was mine had shipped. Same item too.
Old 11-26-07, 05:12 PM

You should have called instead of e-mailing... The same thing happened to me with The Office Season 1 and 2. The prices on those dropped on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, however, they were already in the mail to me.

I called customer service and asked for a price adjustment. At first, the lady only wanted to adjust it to the new regular price and was not willing to tack on the 20% discount on top of that. She kept saying, "I'm not going to do that. It would be like giving you a 40% discount."

Eventually, I had to threaten to re-order the DVD's and get the 20% discount on the new order and then return the previously-shipped DVD's upon arrival. I asked her to save us both some hassle and simply issue the adjustment. She got her supervisor on the phone and they FINALLY agreed to issue the price adjustment.

In all, it took about 20 minutes of bickering in order to get it, but I knew that if I sent an e-mail and waited for a response, they would conveniently wait until after the sale and then refuse me the discount.
Old 11-26-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember they used to adjust prices to reflect discounts elsewhere (ie. DVD Planet's parallel 20% off sale) - I sent them a very detailed e-mail regarding a price match, and I know that they state that they do not price match prices after coupon codes, but I thought this sale might be an exception - I guess that was pretty stupid on my part. I ordered four Criterions from them (at $19.29 each after coupon code), when they are regularly $19.47 each at DVD Planet BEFORE coupon code - I asked if I could get a price adjustment, and they readily denied me. I understand that it was my fault for making an assumption, but in my opinion, Deep Discount is not very customer friendly these days. I received a package from them today (Death Note Vol. 1 LE and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Vol. 2 LE), and they were packed so tightly that I could barely get them out of the box - Obviously, they didn't arrive in the best possible condition... I'm just really unimpressed with DD lately. The only reason I would've ordered those Criterions from DD as opposed to DVD Planet is because they've been pretty good to me in the past, and I have been a loyal customer from very, very early on. I still remember my very first purchase from them. But I feel like I'm just being punished for my loyalty - I guess that's what you get for being blindly loyal. From here on out, I'm going to try and avoid shopping at DD - And the OP's example of being burned is one of the many reasons why - That's even more ridiculous than what happened to me. Their prices aren't even very competitive anymore. I can pretty much almost always get my stuff cheaper on DVD Planet or even Amazon these days. Anyway, enough of that - I realize this should go in the store forum, but I've been meaning to say something for a while. I just have no interest in DD anymore.
Old 11-26-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I got burned in a similar way at their retail store. I bought all the South Park sets on the 16th. On the 23rd they were all dropped to 17.98 in store. They would not do any adjustment for me.

Oh well, less business of mine for them.
Why didn't you just rebuy them all at the lower price then on the 23rd, then return those copies with your original (higher priced) receipt from the 16th? As long as they're still sealed and the same as the ones you bought a week earlier, what's the difference?

Please bear in mind, I know nothing about their retail store, so maybe they have some ridiculous "no return/all sales final" policy I am not aware of....
Old 11-26-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by packaok
In all, it took about 20 minutes of bickering in order to get it, but I knew that if I sent an e-mail and waited for a response, they would conveniently wait until after the sale and then refuse me the discount.
Hah. That's what happened in my case. DD emailed me and said they don't price match promotional prices. And conveniently waited until after the sale was off as well. Oh well. I just need to be more aware and make sure NOT to order before Black Friday.