Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Are you kidding me?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Are you kidding me?

Old 10-20-07, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you kidding me?

I went to blockbuster today and rented Planet Terror 1-Disc. Im getting in my car and I look at the Receipt.

Planet Terror 1 Disc
Buy it for only 29.99 more.

Holy ****! 35$ + tax for a used blockbuster DVD.

I cant see how anyone would buy this.
Old 10-20-07, 09:56 PM
Banned

I'm more shocked that it cost $5 to rent the movie. I wouldn't pay $5 to rent any movie.
Old 10-20-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
I think the 'purchase price' is a reminder concerning what you'll be charged if you don't return the movie.
Old 10-20-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the hell would you keep any rental DVD that long to make it an issue in the first place? You have 30 days to return it after it sells to your account just to get the restocking fee. So you can pretty much rent it for 37 days for 6.25. If you need it longer than that and didn't buy it through a regular store, don't blame Blockbuster.
Old 10-20-07, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Why the hell would you keep any rental DVD that long to make it an issue in the first place? You have 30 days to return it after it sells to your account just to get the restocking fee. So you can pretty much rent it for 37 days for 6.25. If you need it longer than that and didn't buy it through a regular store, don't blame Blockbuster.
I wouldnt keep it that long. im just wondering how they actually o sell any 35$ used DVd's with bad cases.
Old 10-20-07, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Layziebones
I wouldnt keep it that long. im just wondering how they actually o sell any 35$ used DVd's with bad cases.
They don't, unless you keep it too long. But they can try.
Old 10-21-07, 01:54 AM
Cool New Member

some moron, somewhere, has rented biodome, loved it so much he called blockbuster and said "i would love to keep it for a mere 30 bones".
Old 10-21-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'm more shocked that it cost $5 to rent the movie. I wouldn't pay $5 to rent any movie.
I agree. I would recommend that you check out your local libraries. The libraries around me have all of the new releases on DVD(they actually have a large collection, including many Criterions) and they let me check them out for FREE. They also give you several days until the DVDs are due back. I haven't paid for a rental in years.
Old 10-21-07, 10:05 AM
Banned

^Good advice but not everyone has a library like that though. Some libraries still only have a collection of about 30 DVD's and most are shitty children films.
I recommend Netflix if you don't have a good library.
Old 10-21-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Blockbuster sells new DVDs, also. Or at least used to.

Had a gift card and bought a new box set there... a long time ago. They had to special order it... cost an arm and a leg but it was GC money.
Old 10-21-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Good advice but not everyone has a library like that though. Some libraries still only have a collection of about 30 DVD's and most are shitty children films.
I recommend Netflix if you don't have a good library.
Or Super Markets with $1 rentals.
Old 10-21-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you live in Connecticut, here is the link to check the catalog of your local library-

http://bibcat2.biblio.org/ipac20/ipa...dex=.DW&term=*
Old 10-21-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Layziebones
I went to blockbuster today and rented Planet Terror 1-Disc. Im getting in my car and I look at the Receipt.

Planet Terror 1 Disc
Buy it for only 29.99 more.

Holy ****! 35$ + tax for a used blockbuster DVD.

I cant see how anyone would buy this.
Another reason it's so high right now if you decide to keep it is because Blockbuster isn't selling it previously viewed yet, and can't sell it at the previously viewed price. I am not sure if it has to do with studio contracts or what, but on ANY brand new DVD you rent from them will sell on your account at the full MSRP if you decide to keep it, not the 14.99 they will probably sell it for a month or two later when they pull copies to put out for previously viewed.

Hell, they stopped charging you a rental fee per day to keep it late and reduced it all to one restocking fee. And movies ALWAYS sold the account if you kept them past 10 days or so, even back in VHS days, and often for a hundred bucks a tape. I guess the only reason people think this is something new they are doing is because they only recently printed the selling price on the receipt. But AFAIK, they have done this since day one of opening their doors.