Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart threatens legal action if Black Friday ad is posted early

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, they acknowledge that the ad is going to get out early but if any site posts it before 11-19 they are going to go after them.

Didn't this happen a couple of years ago? I want to say some store went after Fat Wallet but I'm not 100% if that was the site involved. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the store lost the suit, so I guess Wal-Mart is banking on the fact that most websites aren't going to have the resources to let this go to court.

Personally, I don't quite understand the fuss. It's not like stores do price matching on BF anyways, and I would imagine that all big stores already know what they are going to have in their ads. I know I view the ads early so I can plan which stores I want to hit, the order I want to hit them, and how much money I need to set aside.

I realize this is pretty similar to the DVDTalk/Speedy/Circuit City issue, but what do you think?

(edited to add "ad" to title)
Old 10-19-07, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So man people post it early regardless. I'm sure we'll see it on Gizmodo real soon.
Old 10-19-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I worked my first job at a grocery store, I mentioned to one of the vendors about a great deal we had coming up on 12 packs next week. Just making conversation, not thinking anything of it. The grocery manager was there and talked to me afterwards and told me to NEVER mention any of the deals in an ad before the ad comes out. They were afraid that the vendor, who goes to different grocery stores, will go to another store and reveal what we have in an upcoming and and trump it, thus making us lose business to other stores.

So while I think Wal Mart has very little to worry about in terms of getting major business on Black Friday, I can certainly appreciate why they don't want that information leaked. It's not the consumer they are worried about...it's the COMPETITOR they are worried about. They don't want the competitor stores to get that information early. Why should Target get that information, for example, if Wal Mart can't get Targets Black Friday sales before the date?
Old 10-19-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Unknown27
So man people post it early regardless. I'm sure we'll see it on Gizmodo real soon.
That they do, but that just means the moderators and webmasters of those places have to be even more vigilant to keep it off their site. It's well near to impossible.
Old 10-22-07, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
When I worked my first job at a grocery store, I mentioned to one of the vendors about a great deal we had coming up on 12 packs next week. Just making conversation, not thinking anything of it. The grocery manager was there and talked to me afterwards and told me to NEVER mention any of the deals in an ad before the ad comes out. They were afraid that the vendor, who goes to different grocery stores, will go to another store and reveal what we have in an upcoming and and trump it, thus making us lose business to other stores.

So while I think Wal Mart has very little to worry about in terms of getting major business on Black Friday, I can certainly appreciate why they don't want that information leaked. It's not the consumer they are worried about...it's the COMPETITOR they are worried about. They don't want the competitor stores to get that information early. Why should Target get that information, for example, if Wal Mart can't get Targets Black Friday sales before the date?
I would have to say ditto, but, also add (I worked for Best Buy for 2 years) that they have this stuff figured out WAY before hand, and, even if BB's is posted TOMORROW, CC can't do jack about it. They've already photo'd and printed their ads, waiting to distribute them. They have to oder things from vendors months and months in advance to make sure every store has AT LEAST the minimum ad quantity (and 9 times out of 10, esp on the extreme sales, stores don't have more than their minimum). The reason for all the hush hush is pretty much that they don't want John Smith to know before hand so that he will come to one store vs another, even if one store has better deals than another. If you give John 10 ads 2 days before, chances are he doesn't have the time to digest them all. Give them to him 2 months before hand and he (and his buddies) can plan their shopping extravaganza.
Old 10-23-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I actually went to Walmart on Black Friday a few years back and DAMN!!! Everything could be free and I wouldn't go back to that fucking leper colony on that day and deal with the human lowest common denominator.
Old 10-24-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I actually went to Walmart on Black Friday a few years back and DAMN!!! Everything could be free and I wouldn't go back to that fucking leper colony on that day and deal with the human lowest common denominator.
Amen. I wouldn't be caught dead in that store.
Old 10-24-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. Went a couple years ago since I got up earlier than I planned. Not something I'll ever do again.
Old 10-24-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Good article from a Harvard Law Prof regarding the above:

Black Friday Ads: the Prequel

Wendy Seltzer, October 22, 2007

Abstract: If it's fall, these must be cease-and-desists for Black Friday ads. This year, they seem to be coming earlier than ever, as Wal-Mart sends pre-notifications against future posting.

For many years, major retailers have complained about the online posting of their post-Thanksgiving sale prices, generally protesting the previews that appear online even before the circulars hit the papers. The so-called "Black Friday" sales, on the day after Thanksgiving, often feature deep discounts and limited quantities of "hot" items, so bargain-hunters like scoping out the deals online. Major retailers say they'd prefer people found the sales the old-fashioned way, in the newspaper or perhaps on the stores' own websites. In past years, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Linens 'N Things, and Staples, have all fired off complaints. See Black Friday

In the past, they've used copyright claims, which fit poorly with the posting of price compilations. Copyright doesn't protect facts or ideas, only original expression. Yet the stores were trying to squelch pre-announcement of facts: the prices they intended to affix to items, not any expressive element of the circulars' graphic design or its arrangement of items. Copyright claims probably looked attractive because they pull in the DMCA Safe Harbor Provisions">DMCA notice-and-takedown procedure , giving reason for the service provider to disable customers' sites. See Chilling Effects' collection: Bargain Shoppers Chilled by Retailers' DMCA Threats.

This year, Wal-Mart has taken action even before the Halloween pumpkins are carved, sending pre-notifications to websites that have posted Black Friday ads in the past. For example, Wal-Mart Pre-Warns Against Early Black Friday Ads.

Why the pre-notification? Does Wal-Mart just want to add a bit of chill to the unseasonably warm fall? Does the retailer want sites to pre-screen user-posted content? Do the notices have any legal effect?

If Wal-Mart is relying on copyright claims, the notices are nearly pointless. Warning doesn't make facts copyrightable, while if users are posting material, a site doesn't incur obligation to monitor merely because someone warns that infringement is likely. Availing themselves of the DMCA safe harbor, sites can allow users to contribute material unfiltered, reviewing and removing only if copyright holders notify them of existing -- not hypothetical future -- infringements. If the site-owners themselves do the posting, they might be warned off by the assertion if they credit claims of copyright in facts, but their underlying liability would turn on whether they copied copyrightable expression, not whether they ignored a warning.

But this time Wal-Mart's claims appear to be broader, invoking the "confidential and proprietary" nature of their "commercially valuable" price information. Trade secret law proscribes "misappropriation" of commercially valuable secrets, provided the holder has taken reasonable steps to keep the secret. Most trade secret cases are against those who directly steal a secret or break a confidentiality agreement, but many states, guided by the Uniform Trade Secrecy Act, define misappropriation broadly, to include

disclosure or use of a trade secret of another without express or implied consent by a person who ... (B) at the time of disclosure or use knew or had reason to know that his knowledge of the trade secret was (I) derived from or through a person who has utilized improper means to acquire it; (II) acquired under circumstances giving rise to a duty to maintain its secrecy or limit its use; or (III) derived from or through a person who owed a duty to the person seeking relief to maintain its secrecy or limit its use

By pre-notifying sites, Wal-Mart is likely trying to establish the "knew or had reason to know" element of a misappropriation claim, to say that even if the sites themselves engage in no "improper means," they should anticipate that anyone sending in Black Friday preview ads must have acted "improperly." Wal-Mart would have to establish that its price lists were properly trade secrets -- economically valuable because of their secrecy, subject to reasonable measures to preserve their secrecy -- and that any who posted after receiving its warning knew or should have known they were misappropriated.

Notification can't create secrets if Wal-Mart doesn't take other reasonable measures to keep the prices from leaking, but if it takes those measures, through confidentiality agreements and need-to-know limits on those who get early access, yet economically valuable secrets leak anyhow, advance warnings to third parties might turn innocent receipt into misappropriation. As any lawyer will tell you, much will depend on the particular facts!

Meanwhile, as Reuters reports, many of the consumer sites are encouraging their readers to contact Wal-Mart to ask for a change in policy.
Old 10-24-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Trade secret" haha...fckin vultures, glad I don't shop there anyway.
Old 10-24-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
True dat. True dat.
Old 10-24-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well someone posted the ad. Calling Wal-Mart's bluff?

www.pricedeal.com/walmartblackfriday
Old 10-24-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Well someone posted the ad. Calling Wal-Mart's bluff?

www.pricedeal.com/walmartblackfriday
Do you still say "oh, snap" too?
Old 10-24-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Do you still say "oh, snap" too?

I'm bringing it back.
Old 10-25-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Why should Target get that information, for example, if Wal Mart can't get Targets Black Friday sales before the date?
Because freedom isn't free. Seriously.

Way too many people think that phrase means soliders have to die to protect a free country. Well soldiers have to die to protect fascist countries too - the real cost is else where.

The price of freedom is not just buried in the ground, its in the cost of all the inequalities and problems that come about when a society follows a set of principles that are deemed more important in the long run. Our country talks the big talk about freedom of speech. Well, if freedom of speech is so important, surely it overrides a company's right to potentially make an extra buck.

If a company can't keep its own house in order, it sure shouldn't have the right to force others do its housekeeping for it.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 10-25-07 at 11:48 PM.