Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video Store Closing Sale - Post Your Finds!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Hollywood Video Store Closing Sale - Post Your Finds!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Hollywood Video Store Closing Sale - Post Your Finds!

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6412SR20100502

Movie Gallery shutting it down.
Old 05-04-10, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These closing sales haven't been very fruitful to me like the ones I went to in 2008. The two I went today had been already on liquidation for 5 weeks, dvds 3 for $12. Not a bad selection left but nothing real special. The DVDs I got were fairly hashed out.
Old 05-18-10, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know when the liquidation process will begin for most stores? Every store I went by yesterday was still in rent mode and the only differences were they took down the movie posters out of the windows. The one Hollywood Video store I actually stopped at, had a B2G2Free promotion that they almost always have running... I asked the cashier when they were going to start selling, and he just said he had no idea.

I thought I read someplace that it was supposed to start 2 weeks after May 1st and only last like, 2 months from the 2wk period.
Old 05-18-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07
Does anyone know when the liquidation process will begin for most stores? Every store I went by yesterday was still in rent mode and the only differences were they took down the movie posters out of the windows. The one Hollywood Video store I actually stopped at, had a B2G2Free promotion that they almost always have running... I asked the cashier when they were going to start selling, and he just said he had no idea.

I thought I read someplace that it was supposed to start 2 weeks after May 1st and only last like, 2 months from the 2wk period.
The court is suppose to decide on Movie Gallery/Hollywood's choice of liquidator sometime this week, so it would likely start within days to a week of the official OK.

It's expected to the same liquidator who did Circuit City's fire sale.
Old 05-19-10, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adboy151
The court is suppose to decide on Movie Gallery/Hollywood's choice of liquidator sometime this week, so it would likely start within days to a week of the official OK.

It's expected to the same liquidator who did Circuit City's fire sale.
Thanks adboy151.
Old 05-23-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our local liquidation sale started yesterday. Everything shot up to retail price and then was discounted 20%. Priced are worse than they were last week (3 used blus for $25-now $16.99 each), but still people were stocking up like they were getting a great deal. I'll play the waiting game and see what's left near the end.
Old 06-26-10, 10:15 AM

Our local stores are currently at 40-60% off with core DVD's are at 5 for $20, reg. are at $4.99 or $5.99.

I went crazy on the foreign film section going after Criterion, Kino and Sony Pictures Classics releases. Purchased a lot but I'm timing one last major purchase a week or two from now. I noticed they shut down the Game Crazy portion on Thursday and everything was being moved into the main store (looks like a lot of people bought the shelves). It's getting empty but still plenty of deals to take advantage of.
Old 06-26-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another store in my area is closing so I went today.

Went to buy Cloudy with a chance of meatballs blu/dvd as the artwork said.. but it was only the blu. The price was also 15 bucks at 50% off.. but I'm not sure how that works as the sticker on it said 24.99.. not sure how they do their math.

also went to get a game for my son but it was all scratched to hell.. so it was a no go. 2 times i've been in there and 2 times i've walked out with nothing. also another pricing thing as it said 9.99 on the inside sticker. But the case it was in said 15.. and it rang 40% off of the 15.. So they are marking things up to mark them down.

Still tons of inventory left.. So I'll be going back.