Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart Return policy? No Receipt

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, My birthday is coming up and I received a few gifts in the mail from family members. 4 dvds, 2 of which I already own. Now I didn't get a receipt with these gifts, I know they were from Wal-Mart because they have a wal-mart sticker in the upper right hand corner.

Is returning these without a receipt going to be a problem or is it a YMMV situation? Would I have a better chance of this going through if I just asked to exchange the items for a Wal-Mart giftcard? It doesn't matter as i plan on getting more dvds with the money or Giftcard anyways, just wanted some advice on how to make this go smoothly.

Thanks
Old 08-20-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Usually when making a return without a receipt, they make you pay the sales tax on the item/items. At least that's how it's been for me every time I've tried to make a return sans receipt.
Old 08-20-07, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Usually when making a return without a receipt, they make you pay the sales tax on the item/items. At least that's how it's been for me every time I've tried to make a return sans receipt.
Never heard of that, and it sounds illegal. Making YOU pay the tax on an item, restocking it, and then making someone pay it again isn't really legal. They can't make double sales-tax on an item sold once.

However, they ARE taking returns w/out receipts, so it may not be a hill to die on.

To the OP, every Wal-Mart I have returned stuff at without a receipt has never given me a problem. They will, of course, usually just issue you a gift card instead of cash.
Old 08-20-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenX
Never heard of that, and it sounds illegal. Making YOU pay the tax on an item, restocking it, and then making someone pay it again isn't really legal. They can't make double sales-tax on an item sold once.
I think it's one of RI's silly laws. At least that's what I've heard.
Old 08-20-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is no trouble at all. Return them and get gift cards...never heard anything about the tax issue as stated above.
Old 08-20-07, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

However, they ARE taking returns w/out receipts, so it may not be a hill to die on.

To the OP, every Wal-Mart I have returned stuff at without a receipt has never given me a problem. They will, of course, usually just issue you a gift card instead of cash.
FWIW - Companies dont MAKE the sales tax.
Old 08-20-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I do a receiptless return to WM, they'll give me the lowest price of the item in the form of a gift card. However, they won't give you the sales tax. For example, if the item is $100, WM will give me a gift card for $100. They won't give me the additional $6(6% sales tax in CT). Borders, on the other hand, would give me $106 for the same return.
Old 08-20-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you say lowest price of the item, how far does that go back? I have a DVD that lists currently for 19.99 on the shelf, but I'm sure it was cheeper when it first came out about 6 months ago. I have heard best buy's price reduction/sale item check is for the previous 30 days.

Boarders takes receiptless returns? huh, I thought they would be one of the stores you'd get the most hassle from.
Old 08-20-07, 02:57 PM

3 Rerturns in 3 months

You are allowed 3 returns without a receipt in 3 months from Walmart, they will give you store credit on a gift card. You just need to give them your drivers license and they enter it into the computer system, that is how they keep track of your returns.
Old 08-20-07, 05:26 PM

My store must be pretty lax because most of the time they don't ask for ID and give out cash instead of a gc. YMMV.
Old 08-23-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's 3 returns a year without a receipt here.
Old 08-23-07, 09:19 PM

when you say 3 returns, do you mean three items or three transactions? i'm assuming items, but i just wanted to clarify if anyone knows for sure.
Old 08-23-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

usually they refer to transactions.
Old 08-24-07, 07:55 AM

It is 3 transactions every 3 months. They keep track by your driver's license. All Walmarts are connected by computer so if you have more than 1 Walmart store you can not return items without a receipt at each store.

If your item total is less than $10 they will give your cash, otherwise you will receive a store gift card.
Old 09-02-07, 09:01 PM

i've never had a problem doing this at wally world... though i don't do it frequently as i dont normally shop there.
Old 09-02-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only hit up Walmart once or twice a year, so YMMV....be careful with higher priced items.....I received multiple DVD sets, and they had some issues when I tried to return a Band of Brothers DVD box set (I think it was $80-$100 at the time). They told me that if it was a $20-$30 set, it wouldn't be a big deal, but because it was higher priced, they had to get manager approval, etc. I wanted a GC (which I think helped), since I wanted to buy a digital camera they had on sale.

Places like Best Buy are WAAAAAAAAY more of a PITA....I've been black listed there for years. I did get a stainless steel wine fridge out of my last dealings with them, so I guess it wasn't all bad.

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 09-02-07 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pedagogue
Places like Best Buy are WAAAAAAAAY more of a PITA....I've been black listed there for years.
Care to share the story?
Old 09-04-07, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I think it's one of RI's silly laws. At least that's what I've heard.
It's the same way in Massachusetts. No receipt and you only get back the current selling price of the item on a gift card.