Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Advantages/Disadventages of renting DVD's online vs In Store

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I just started a new subscription to Net Flix and I'm currently on a 1 month free trial on the $16.98 3 DVD's at a time plan. I'm debating whether or not I should stick with this after the free trial is up. Can any of you guys give me some of the advantages/disadvantages of using the online rental services as opposed to driving to your local video store on a Friday or Saturday to rent a few movies? Would you say that I need to rent at least 9 titles per month to make it worth my money? My local Mom and Pop video store charges $1.50 for all movies per day and my family seems to think I'm better off renting from them as opposed to spending a set amount on Netflix every month.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-12-07, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main advantage of Netflix or Blockbuster online is the larger selection of titles to rent.
Old 08-12-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me the big advantage is not having to make a trip to the video store. I don't have to do anything or even think about it - movies just automagically show up in my mailbox a few times a week.
Old 08-12-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's definitley selection in my case; finding offbeat, or (God forbid) classic titles are a lost cause anymore in the the stores.
Old 08-13-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
- If I think of a movie I want to see, I can add it to the Netflix queue and forget about it until it shows up. Otherwise, I have to remember it, or write it down.
- The selection for Netflix is awesome.
- I don't have to worry about when to return the movies. I don't even have to leave my house to do it.
- I like being surprised with what comes in. Since my queue is so long, I forget what's in there by the time it shows up.

The only problem I have with Netflix, is there are times when all of my discs are in transit, and I want to watch something. I don't have cable, so I would be kind of screwed. However, I do have a Hollywood Video MVP plan, so I'm never without movies.