Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on buying refurbished items (refurbdepot) ?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
I'm looking into buying my first HDTV, and when using mysimon, came across the website refurbdepot.com. They sell items that are refurbished, and puts a whole new set of tv's in my price range. Most are a few hundred dollars less than places like amazon. Basically, now I could afford a 40 in. Samsung 1080p when before I'd be looking at a 37 in. 1080i. I was wondering what people thought of the reliability of these places and their products. Obviously, on the site they claim that they are basically the same, only with minute problems or circumstances that prevents stores from being able to resell them. Just wondering how much truth there was to this, and if anybody had any experience with it. Thanks for any help..
Old 01-11-07, 11:06 PM

Well - personally, I prefer not to buy refurb unless can not afford or get any other way, but even then I really prefer new (i.e. the warranty, know they will take it back, etc.).

But depends - is the manufacturer warranty still in effect and for how long, prorated, full (like if bouhgt new), none. Those "protection plans" can be good (pay for themselves at the first mishap), but they are money makers for the stores, too.

Also note that if you need to use the warranty for a replacement, you may also get a refurb.

Now, many refurbs, depending upon who did it (the manufacturer or some kid in a garage) and what parts (genuine manufacturer or something from Uncle Sid's Cheapo Parts R Us ).

So in the end I prefer not to get refurb, but I take each situation as it comes.

Just check the warranty, who would do it, how long, do you ship it back, who pays for shipping, etc. Also who did the refurb and did they use good parts or does the unit come "as is" (an irregular).

As a side, I got an extended warranty on my Dell LCD (extended to 2 year, rather than the 1 year) and after 1 and half years I had problems. Called them up, they sent me a replacement (a refurb) via 2-day UPS. Also I got a pre-paid mailing label and just had to call DHL and they came to the house and picked it up. No cost for me except unhooking and re-hooking up the TV.

my 2 pennies.....
Old 01-12-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I occasionally buy refurb and if it's electronics then the most critical issue is: Who did the refurb. I once bought a Sony 20 in. CRT monitor from Overstock that was done by Sony and it's still great. They were selling a ton of them- at least 75 a week until there were none left to refurb.
Old 01-12-07, 10:01 AM

Negative experience

I had a very bad experience with Refurb Depot.

I ordered a portable DVD player from them which was supposedly in stock.
My credit card was charged immediately, and the unit was supposedly shipped out 1 week latter.

After a couple of weeks I called them and the lady told me that the unit was shipped, but that somehow it disappeared during the shipping process.
I asked if they could send me another unit, but they told me the player was no longer in stock and they would refund my money. It took 60 days for the refund to go through.

They never refunded my shipping charge (which was over $20). I sent 3 emails requesting a full refund. I talked to customer service 3 times requesting a refund and still have never received the refund on my shipping charge.

I really don't believe that they ever had the unit in stock.

Good Luck
Old 01-12-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy any refurb at your own risk. Personally, I will never buy a refurbed TV from anyone again. In the past I have bought refurbed monitors and a TV, and in every case there was something wrong with them. And, they had been refurbed by the manufacturer.