Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Recent Amazon Price Error: You'll be charged unless you return!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Look, what's done is done. But next time there's a deal like the Family Video $5 off $5, I'd expect all the people around here judging everyone else to pass on it, unless they truly were a new customer. But boy were there lots of orders placed in that thread, many on multiple orders. And again without so much moralizing.
Seriously. I don't know i've ever seen a price mistake/vendor error with one page of moralizing, much less this ridiculous extent. Ultimately that's what this is, it could be considered a price mistake, or coupon misuse, which we've seen happen quite often. And though I don't fall in with 'big companies deserve to lose money!' surely Amazon can 'afford' to take this hit much more than an outfit like FamilyVideo or some of the other smaller vendors.
Bottom line, Amazon screwed up, they could have fixed it, they didn't. They have shown in the past they are quite able to cancel orders rather quickly and with very little reason or justifiable reason. They declined to do that.
Old 12-31-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I give up. I'm sending seasons 1-5 of Everybody Loves Raymond back on Tues. Going to be more of a hassle disputing the potential charges than driving down the block and dropping the box off at the PO. I don't like Raymond THAT much to have to deal with a (slightly) guilty conscience (Amazon HAS been good to me these past few years, after all) and phone calls/emails to CSRs.

But I will keep reading this thread though.

Old 12-31-06, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The situations aren't totally similar, but could this open up precedent for the sender to say "Hey, that thing we sent you, whoops, send it back in mint condition or we'll charge you 49.99?"
The Disney DVD Club already sort of does this. They send their featured titles to me even though I always decline them and charge my CC. The charge remains on my acct. untili the disk is returned to them, and via media mail, this sometimes takes a couple weeks.
Old 12-31-06, 02:16 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, we could just send one DVD box set back and tell Amazon that we wanted to keep the "free" one and are returning the one we should pay for.
Old 12-31-06, 02:23 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
What was the stated promotion at the time each of you ordered? That's what prevails.
Not necessarily. According to Amazon policy, it's entirely up to their discretion on whether to honor an order regardless of the price that's been advertised on their website.

So if they advertise an Xbox for 90% off at $40 and then a million people order it, they can still cancel all those orders and say that they made a mistake on their website and the Xbox was supposed to be $300, despite the fact that $40 was clearly the price that they advertised. And the customer has no recourse because that's Amazon's stated policy.

In essence, the prices/deals that Amazon advertises on their website are never final until they actually authorize your payment and ship your merchandise. Their policy makes it so. At any time before shipment they can tell you, "Sorry, the price we advertised on our website was a mistake. Either pay the higher price or cancel your order."
Old 12-31-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bottom line...

You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!!!!

Old 12-31-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
hehe.

You're a crook. You're a cheat and a swindler! How could you do a thing like this, raise up a little boy's hopes and then dash all his dreams to pieces? You're an inhuman monster!

Last edited by stingermck; 12-31-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
Bottom line...

You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!!!!
But what if we give back the Everlasting Gobstopper?
Old 12-31-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I give up. I'm sending seasons 1-5 of Everybody Loves Raymond back on Tues. Going to be more of a hassle disputing the potential charges than driving down the block and dropping the box off at the PO. I don't like Raymond THAT much to have to deal with a (slightly) guilty conscience (Amazon HAS been good to me these past few years, after all) and phone calls/emails to CSRs.

But I will keep reading this thread though.

raymond wasn't part of the sale was it?
Old 12-31-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dollfins1
No, its not. Thats heavy guilt, giving something back from a different sale, lol.
Old 12-31-06, 03:51 PM

And why 5 seasons- shouldn't it be an "even" number to return to be a good citizen again?
Old 12-31-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sumdeus
bhauge,
Would you mind sharing what you wrote to invoke such a pleasant response? I thought my message to them was to the point without being aggressive but the response I received was as enigmatic as most of the other responses shared in this thread. You must have the golden touch
I don't think I wrote anything special. In fact, I used some of the same wording that others on this forum have used:

Dear Amazon -

I'm writing in regards to an email that I received about this order. In it, you state that I was incorrectly charged and that you are requiring me to either return the items or that you will charge me the corrected price. I don't believe that this action is legal for you to do (charging an additional amount for items that you have already shipped and that I have received). In all 4 of my orders, I agreed to pay the amount that was specified on the final checkout screen and nothing more. In fact, quoting from your own email that you send when an item ships:

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order.

Any action taken by Amazon after I have paid the indicated amount at checkout and after you have shipped (and I have received) is not legal. If you pursue in your action of trying to charge me an additional amount for these orders, I will have no choice but to initiate a chargeback with my credit card company.

I hold Amazon in high regard as a company and I hope to continue to do business with you in the future. Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Old 12-31-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bhauge
I don't think I wrote anything special. In fact, I used some of the same wording that others on this forum have used:
Thanks for the reply. As you said, that is very similar to what others, including myself, wrote to Amazon. It appears to depend on which CSR receives the inquiry as to the response we receive. You would think that Amazon would have put in place some controls to standardize the responses to such messages because at this point it's anyone's guess as to what is going to actually happen.
Old 12-31-06, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
No, its not. Thats heavy guilt, giving something back from a different sale, lol.
Ha, that's funny. I think this thread should just end on that note, until something more actually happens that's worth posting about. Can't really top that, can we?

But you know what, with the issues of dealing with shipping charges on the initial order, and the whole refund process, I think it's opening up more chance for issues by actually returning these things. Adios, and happy new year.
Old 12-31-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
But you know what, with the issues of dealing with shipping charges on the initial order, and the whole refund process, I think it's opening up more chance for issues by actually returning these things. Adios, and happy new year.
I agree with your logic here. I made three orders two of which I was planning on getting at the B1G1 price. The third order I got because I noticed the price and it was too good to pass up. So, I'm going to keep these orders regardless of what happens; however, I will do what I can to have Amazon honor the price mistake or have my credit card company dispute the charge when and if it ever happens. I won't lose sleep, though, if I don't succeed.
Old 12-31-06, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by legend42
But what if we give back the Everlasting Gobstopper?
Then the oompa loompas won't charge you for the extra everlasting gobstopper you ordered and tried to swindle them out of!
Old 12-31-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Of course, we could just send one DVD box set back and tell Amazon that we wanted to keep the "free" one and are returning the one we should pay for.
Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if -- and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy -- "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera... "Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera... "Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal!

Last edited by Sonicflood; 12-31-06 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been a good read. Time for Part #2 thread. Happy New Year!!!

Old 12-31-06, 09:42 PM

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 446 Likes on 259 Posts
I bought 4 sets during the glitch (2 sets of 2): Married w/Children seasons 2, 3, 4 & 5. I'll probably keep them and not contest the charges if they make them. The only part that kind of annoys me is that I sprang for $3.97/order for shipping, which I normally wouldn't have done...

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
Old 01-01-07, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
And sometimes the bear gets you long after you come home from your hunting trip.
Old 01-01-07, 02:33 AM

Ha. Seinfeld. I couldn't even remember what sets I ordered.
Old 01-01-07, 03:38 AM

The best argument I've seen in the thread is about the non-DVDTalk people who used 1-click ordering. These people might not have even known about the sale, let alone the price error. Plenty of people placed authentic orders without "taking advantage" of Amazon, and, if they've already opened the items they legitimately paid for, they're perfectly justified in disputing amazon's extra charges.
Old 01-01-07, 07:54 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Well, I emailed Amazon again to clarify a few things and try to get a better answer that might make things a little more clearer.

I received a response back and basically what they told me was that the promotional funds were applied to each individual order and that the remainding difference was charged to my credit card and that there were to be no other charges. Each individual orders promotional funds were the total price of both box sets combined.

order #1 = $76.95 (no remaining charge placed on credit card because both sets were of equal value)
order #2 = $63.95 (remaining charge of $1.50 was charged to my credit card)
order #3 = $63.95 (remaining charge of $2.00 was charged to my credit card)
order #4 = $63.95 (remaining charge of $2.00 was charged to my credit card)
order #5 = $63.95 (remaining charge of $2.00 was charged to my credit card)

So, as far as I can tell, that's that in my case. Both of the emails I received from them pretty much told me the same thing - all I really had to pay was the difference in price since I opted for free shipping.
Old 01-01-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why some of us are getting the form email, while some, like above are actually receiving some help?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.