Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Black Friday pricematch?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Black Friday pricematch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Friday pricematch?

Anyone have any experience with retailers pricematching items that go on sale on Black Friday?

In looking at some of the ads online, I have a couple of DVD's that I have purchased recently that are going to be on sale ... some during Friday morning and some for both days.

I am debating whether I attempt to pricematch or just buy a new set at the better price and return the original.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-06, 04:10 PM

last time I bought DVDs from BB and CC (except last weeks' seinfeld deal) was on 10/22 in the horror movie sales. Guess on Black Friday they won't qualify for price match since it would be more than 30 days old. And I don't think any of those DVDs are mentioned in the their BF ads, either. So I am cool.
Old 11-21-06, 04:40 PM

bb will price match any dvd deals as long as they are not doorbusters-->no morinin' deals folks!!
Old 11-21-06, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy will not price match on Black Friday. I tried it last year, because The Arizona Republic said that they matched competitor's ads. But when I was in the store and asked about matching the Fry's Electronics ad, they said no.
Old 11-21-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, diffent strokes for different folks apparently. Last year I toted 4 different ads with me to Best Buy, waited in line outside for 2 hours, got all my items that I wanted within 5 minutes, then waited in line to pay for 2 hours. Among all my items were 8 dvds that I wanted to price match. When I asked, the cashier said no prob and precessed the order without even a pause. So... I guess it doesn't hurt to try if you're already going to be there.
Old 11-21-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Well, diffent strokes for different folks apparently.
That is par for the course at best buy, totally random policies made up on the spot that not only vary from store to store, but even employee to employee at the same store.

Even with the rules posted on that big sign on the wall, you've got at least a 50/50 chance of them making up some baloney reason on the spot to prevent you from doing whatever you want to do.
Old 11-21-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flix1
I am debating whether I attempt to pricematch or just buy a new set at the better price and return the original.
Thanks.
This way is guaranteed to succeed!
Old 11-21-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the no price-match experience at Circuit City. When I got to the register after waiting 30 minutes, the clerk so no price-matching. I had to ask for a manager who reluctantly ok'd it (my argument was that there were no no-pricematching signs up and I had waited on line a long time.
Old 11-21-06, 11:13 PM

just bad luck...

Originally Posted by MW99Fan
Best Buy will not price match on Black Friday. I tried it last year, because The Arizona Republic said that they matched competitor's ads. But when I was in the store and asked about matching the Fry's Electronics ad, they said no.
that's too bad, i went to the Pavilions location in Scottsdale, and they were telling everyone and their mother that they would price match. it's not a set in stone policy, for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it this year as well. good luck.
Old 11-22-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
it's a big YMMV. some will, some won't. some will just decide arbitrarily. i went a few years back and bought some dvd's on wednesday before bf, went on bf to pm. the guy before me couldn't do it, but i talked to the manager, and what not, and they let me do it.
Old 11-22-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
That is par for the course at best buy, totally random policies made up on the spot that not only vary from store to store, but even employee to employee at the same store.

Even with the rules posted on that big sign on the wall, you've got at least a 50/50 chance of them making up some baloney reason on the spot to prevent you from doing whatever you want to do.

Here, here. Couldn't have said it better myself. I've had some wild experiences with Best Buy folks. Nobody seems to know what they're doing, but still they have dudes just walking around always asking if they can help you and stuff.......the clincher is they usually can't. I don't even think they have policies. It just depends on if they feel like helping you or not.
Old 11-22-06, 04:05 AM

Every BF that I have ventured out in, I have always had success at Walmart of all places. Best Buy and Circuit City have been the same chance depending on what cashier I'd get or Manager I'd talk to, but it has always been a hassle. I usually just go hang at Walmart with my ads at 5:45AM or so, and then PM at the Cash Register at Electronics. Not one hassle yet in three years and two different Walmarts.
Old 11-22-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not only did my BB pricematch last year, but I went out and bought everything I wanted the day before Thanksgiving (at BB). Then, Friday morning, I went back and PM'ed for the difference + 10% of the difference! Not only do you get the extra savings, but you don't have to fight the crowds to gather the items you want, just breeze through when it's not crowded and take it all home.
Old 11-22-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been denied price matching on Black Friday at many different Best Buys in the Boston area.
Old 11-22-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

EDIT: After all the horror stories of 1-2 hour lines at Best Buy and Circuit City, I have never dared venture there on BF. Hearing stories of hundreds of people at the door when they open, I figured I'd never have a chance to get the limited number of "door busters" DVDs.

My Walmart had no problem pricematching various ads. The only problem I had is that my Walmart had such a sad selection of DVDs and video games that I didn't find much I wanted. DVDs like Big Fish, Something's Gotta Give, Fun with Dick & Jane, and even Monster House were nowhere to be found... and the DVDs that were there were usually Full Screen only. It seems if a DVD is released in both Widescreen and Full Screen formats, my Walmart will choose only Full Screen. So, it was barely worth going.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-24-06 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy mentioned this on their page for the "Extra 7 Hour Specials" on BF... not sure if it says this for the rest of their BF stuff though.

DETAILS Quantities on all items on this page are limited. No rainchecks or substitutions. Not available at BestBuy.comŽ or by phone. Best Buy's price match policy does not apply to items on this page and is not valid on prior purchases
Old 11-22-06, 10:50 PM

Last year, I remember getting denied on the price-buster, limited-time deals at Best Buy.

Thankfully this year, there are no early bird specials that I want. But I went to Best Buy today and bought a number of DVDs that would be on sale on both Friday and Saturday in the Circuit City ads. I'm hoping that on Saturday, I can pricematch the CC ad with no fuss from the Best Buy employees.
Old 11-23-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take all of my ads to Wal-Mart each year. Never a need to go anywhere else when I can get it all in one place. I PM doorbusters and all. Wal-Mart has in fine print on their TV ads that they will match any competitor's price and there are NO exclusions for doorbusters listed in that fine print. They tried to shoot me down last year for doorbusters.... I politely requested a manager and then pointed to their printed in store papers from last year that boldly said they match any competitor's price and there was no exclusion for doorbusters listed. The manager went and flicked the key.
Old 11-24-06, 07:00 AM

Wal*Mart on Hanes Mall Boulevard in Winston-Salem, NC refused to price match Best Buy's ad for MI3 ($7.99). I told them to shove it and left a cart full of merchandise sitting there...

Generally, I'm a Wal*Mart fan, but this was pathetic.
Old 11-24-06, 08:49 AM

as per usual, they were pricematching all ads at Best Buy this morning. good luck to everyone, i was out at 3:45 this morning and back at 7:00. got everything i wanted, now i'm going to take a well deserved nap. have fun today everybody.
Old 11-24-06, 09:16 AM

BB, CC and all Walmarts (Both on Dale Mabry) in the Tampa area refused to PM this morning. This was a first for me with Walmart. The store manager told me that the order not to PM came from up top.
Old 11-24-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corihor1
BB, CC and all Walmarts (Both on Dale Mabry) in the Tampa area refused to PM this morning. This was a first for me with Walmart. The store manager told me that the order not to PM came from up top.
To all who were denied PMs this morning, I would save the ads if you still have them for price verification. Then next Monday (Home Office will be closed by the time most of you read this today) call 1-800-WAL-MART to file a complaint about the store that you visited. Politely explain that you were trying to price match other store's advertised pricing. Also reference the fact that their television commercials said that they would price match any advertised price and you were refused the advertised price at your local store. If they talk about doorbusters and such not applying, those TV ads did NOT contain any language that said doorbusters were not applicable to PMing. Tell them that you would like to be contacted by the store manager to discuss this. They will then enter this into the system and it will show up on the Store Manager's workstation at your local store. The store manager will be required to respond to this within 24 hours of receiving it, or face disciplinary action from their District Manager and Home Office. If you are nice about all this, you will likely get the items you wanted at the price they were advertised.

I PMed items including doorbusters at my local Wal-Mart today and was not told anything regarding not allowing PMs from the Home Office. That would go against Wal-Mart's claims of having the lowest price.
Old 11-24-06, 04:15 PM

Problem is that the Store Manager told me that it was an order from the District Manager not to PM
Old 11-24-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Corihor1
Problem is that the Store Manager told me that it was an order from the District Manager not to PM
And no offense, but you're going to go just on his word? I think Home Office would find this unacceptable and think you should still report it to them. I guarantee you they will not like hearing that you were hassled. Wal-Mart is famous for having banners in the store saying "We guarantee you'll be satisfied."

I highly doubt this came from the DM as it would have come from Home Office first and EVERY store would have been following this procedure and clearly they were not.
Old 11-25-06, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info DVD-Fanman. I will definitely be calling in on Monday and share the results.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.