Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD and returns...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD and returns...

Old 11-14-06, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DDD and returns...(their customer service sucks!)

I purchased a few DVD's from DDD to give as Christmas presents. Little did I know that the planned recipient already had the two that I planned on giving him. D'oh!

Instead of paying with my credit card, I opted to use the 'Bill Me Later' option (which I've used in the past).

My question lies in the return process. I plan on returning them in the same packaging and using the the return label that is included on the packing slip. I'm wondering how I will be credited on the 'Bill Me Later' website when I return these items and if anyone has any experience with returns to DDD and using 'Bill Me Later'.

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on how to make this return transaction go as smoothly as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aJOHNymous; 12-13-06 at 11:40 AM. Reason: updated topic
Old 12-13-06, 11:40 AM

one month later now and I am pissed.

i spoke with customer service over the phone three days after i posted the original thread and the CSR on the phone explained the process to me that is already listed on their site. she said the best way to return the items would be to include the original packing slip and include a note explaining the situation. she assured me more than once that a refund check would arrive at my door within 2 weeks. I did as I was instructed and sent the package out the next day (11/17).

fast forward to 12/8 and I still have not received a refund in the mail, added onto my credit card, or even onto my billmelater account.

i've spoken with customer service numerous times now -

12/8 - CSR assured me that the note of 'intent to return' was on my account and that they would call me back that day once they had gone through all of their incoming mail. i never received a call back.

12/11 - i called back. this time the CSR said that they had no note on my account about a return and that they had never received any return from me. again, my information was recorded onto their computers and she assured me that I would receive a call from "management" on 12/12.

12/12 - no phone call. i gave them all day.

12/13 - i am now furious and do not know what else to do.

do i keep calling? do i try e-mail? do i cut my losses (nearly $100) and never order from DDD again?

can anyone help me out here?
Old 12-13-06, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you didn't use any kind of delivery confirmation, you may have a battle on
your hands..If you say you sent it back and they say they never got it, it's
your word against theirs..
DG
Old 12-13-06, 01:08 PM

Well, I'll tell you it doesn't matter if you had delivery confirmation or not, they were jerks about my return. During last years NOV sale, I purchased Arrested Development S2. I, and many others, received a package that did not have the orange slip cover (and this one was actually 'important' as it had all the details on it, the disc sleeve only has pictures). I immediately called DDD, got outsourced help. I told him the problem and it took him a few minutes to understand that the item was not opened, it was just missing part of the package. He then assured me that a 'complete item' would be shipped to me and I would get a postage paid return label. I asked him to check to make sure that they actually had the full set w/ slipcover in stock, expecting him to actually get the company on the line. He said they had the correct item and just to include a note saying I wanted an exchange for the full product with the shipment. Well, no label or link to a label every arrived, so I decided to brave a 6 am CC mob on Black Friday to get my set. I then sent back the other one to DDD with a note asking for a refund. I shipped it first class w/ delivery confirmation. A week after it was delivered to DDD, no credit had been applied to my card. I called and asked what was going on. They said they never received the item. I told them they had and I gave them the delivery confirmation #. They said they'd look into it and get back to me in a few days. A week later, no response, so I called back. They said they still had no record of a return, and I repeated the DC#. I was fairly upset, so they said something about me being a valued customer and refunded me the money. Usually their customer service is nice, but that was awful.
Old 12-14-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by i86time
they said something about me being a valued customer and refunded me the money. Usually their customer service is nice, but that was awful.
Bummer - you got your money back!

(Sorry, but reading the last two lines made me laugh.)
Old 12-14-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
Bummer - you got your money back!

(Sorry, but reading the last two lines made me laugh.)
Simply refunding my money does not make for excellent customer service. Excelent customer service would have been receiving the free return shipping label promised, having a rep actually check the provided DC # to confirm the package was received and contacting me back within the time frame they specified to notify me of a credit which had actually been processed, not just promised. As it was, both reps I talked to had the attitude that even though I had delivery confirmation, there's no way it could have been delivered and DDD not know about it, which was akin to calling me a liar. Sure, they could have been worse to deal with, but they also could have been a whole lot better.
Old 12-16-06, 11:35 PM

My copy of Halloween 5 I ordered in July was a floater with some awful scratches on it. I sent it back the first week in August. I still have not received my replacement copy. I sent several emails throughout September and October. I received one reply with the message "once we receive your package we will issue a replacement". Almost 5 months later and nothing. No more DDD for me.
Old 12-21-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez i hope i don't have to wait that long ...

I have been calling DDD about two returns one was a damaged set to get a replacement sent out in November 12th and the other was for a refund still nothing for either ...

I called yesterday and the CSR kept yawning on the phone ... and gave me an 800 # to call but when i called the number it was for GREAT FUN nothing to do with what i asked about ;( very bad ...
Old 12-22-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also in DDD Return Hell...

I got a bunch of DVDs from their Super Sale, receiving them intermittently as they got them in stock.

After all was said and done, I have all my DVDs, but two of them are floaters (discs that came loose and got scratched up): JAWS (WS/10th Anniversary) and KING KONG (Extended Edition).

According to the invoice it says to send your returns USPS Parcel Post with a note of why you are returning the item (and if you want an exchange/refund). I have to pay for the shipping costs.

I sent back JAWS about 2-3 weeks before Thanksgiving Weekend.
I sent back KING KONG about a 1-2 days before Thanksgiving Weekend.

Monday, Dec. 18th - I figure I would email them to see what was going on. I wanted to know if they received either of the DVDs yet, and if so, what was the ETA of replacements being sent back.

Tuesday, Dec. 19th - I get an auto-response email (or it didn't seem like they've read my email because I stated the DVDs were already sent out weeks ago), saying that they would email me a RMA label and to send the DVDs back, and upon receiving them, they will ship back replacements within 5-10 days. I also receive the RMA label in a separate email.

Wednesday, Dec. 20th - I receive another email stating that TWO JAWS DVDs were sent out.

The same day, very early morning, I decide to call DDD Customer Service to get this straightened out. I get this older lady on the phone. I explain everything as best I could and give her my Order #. She lets out a low *sigh* and pauses. I re-explain it all again in simpler terms, thinking maybe she didn't understand what I was saying. She then says, under her breath, "This is going to be one of those days..." and then starts to try and figure it out herself. She gets frustrated and then asks me "Well, what do you want me to do?". I tell her that I want replacements for both DVDs, but also that it seems that DDD is sending me TWO JAWS DVDs and not ONE JAWS DVD and ONE KING KONG DVD. I give her that order number and she says I was reading it wrong, that they only sent out ONE. I tell here the email says TWO, but on closer inspection, I notice a minus sign next to one of the quantity numbers:

Quantity Item # Description Price
Status
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------- ----------
---------
1- MCA028171 DVD : JAWS (WS/30TH ANNIVERSARY) $ 11.28
1 MCA028171 DVD : JAWS (WS/30TH ANNIVERSARY) $ 11.28

OK, fine, I misread the email and at least one of them is getting replaced. I get off the phone with her, feeling that KING KONG hasn't went through the proper channels yet as it was sent much later than the JAWS DVD.

Friday, December 22nd - I receive another email for ANOTHER JAWS DVD:

Quantity Item # Description
Price
-------- ------------ ----------------------------------------
----------
1 MCA028171 DVD : JAWS (WS/30TH ANNIVERSARY) $

So as of now I'm stuck with an extra JAWS DVD coming my way, that I was charged for, and I'm also out about $3 in postage and no KING KONG:EE in sight as of yet. Why they don't mention emailing them for a RMA label on the invoices is beyond me. Guess I'm back to calling them up again...

EDIT: Oddly enough, both JAWS replacement shipments share the same Order #?

Last edited by darqleo; 12-22-06 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-22-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoa... I guess DDD reads this thread as my problem was solved without me having to lift another finger (got a few emails from them). Thanks DDD!
:^)
Old 12-22-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad yours are solved I am still waiting for my Replacement DARK CRYSTAL and my refund for CINEMA PARADISO to show up ;(

Got a shipping notice for my replacement DARK CRYSTAL and my Credit finally showed up for cinema paradiso

Last edited by DisneyDVDFAN; 12-24-06 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 02:28 PM

Wow, I had a TV season set that I received but also already owned, I sent it back with the copy of the receipt, took about 1 1/2 weeks to get a refund on the CC, no problem here and I sent it from Europe. Just had to balance the negatives to DDD with a positive here.
Old 01-02-07, 08:38 PM

I sent two dvd one for refund and one for replacement. One dvd had a floating disc inside judging by the way it shakes. both dvd unopen. items mailed out on december 11, 2006 with their return label. I have emailed them several times about this since I have not gotten my refund or my replacement dvd. Everytime, it is the same answer, we have not received the returned items and will mail out the replacement dvd as soon as it arrives. I just want to get this resolved and move one.

I have returned multiple items before to other retailers online like clothes and shoes because they don't fit. I have never had any retailer claim they did not receive the item. Anyway, would it be possible to dispute the charges with the credit card company if in the end DDD still claim they didn't receive the item. I didn't get delivery confirmation since I was using DDD return label.
Old 01-02-07, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
I sent two dvd one for refund and one for replacement. One dvd had a floating disc inside judging by the way it shakes. both dvd unopen. items mailed out on december 11, 2006 with their return label. I have emailed them several times about this since I have not gotten my refund or my replacement dvd. Everytime, it is the same answer, we have not received the returned items and will mail out the replacement dvd as soon as it arrives. I just want to get this resolved and move one.

I have returned multiple items before to other retailers online like clothes and shoes because they don't fit. I have never had any retailer claim they did not receive the item. Anyway, would it be possible to dispute the charges with the credit card company if in the end DDD still claim they didn't receive the item. I didn't get delivery confirmation since I was using DDD return label.
Call them instead of e-mailing. During the recent DDD sale, they sent me an incorrect item which I sent back to them, and after a few weeks I didn't receive the replacement from them. When I called, they agreed to send out the replacement to me without much of a fight.
Old 01-03-07, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
I sent two dvd one for refund and one for replacement.
I didn't get delivery confirmation since I was using DDD return label.
I recently returned a box set to DDD that had been shipped in error, for which they e-mailed me a label. When I shipped it, I asked if I could get delivery confirmation and the PO rep stuck a tag on, gave me a receipt and didn't ask for any money. I don't know whether it's included or whether DDD got charged on their end. You might try that if this comes up again. Even if they charge you a little, it's worth it to avoid this kind of hassle.
Old 01-03-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually have no problem with any of the many, many orders I have placed at DDD (soon to be just DD), but with this recent Twilight Zone Definitive Collection box set I got at their last big sale, I can't seem to get a decent shipment from them.

The set was backorderd, but finally was sent to me on 11.28.06, I got it on 12.2.06 and it was completely crushed, I never even had to open the set because when I shook it, the pieces inside rattled around like a rainstick. I emailed DDD about it and received a prepaid mailer in my email the very next day. I mailed it out that very day (12.3.06) and waited and waited but eventually I got a shipping notice for the replacement being sent out on 12.2106 and I actually received it on 12.27.06.

This one looked alright, so I was happy to FINALLY get to watch the set I had purchased back on 11.15.06! But alas, when I was opening up the Season 4 set, several of the discs fell out and some plastic pieces and I could see that one of the plastic trays had been cracked right down the middle and one of the "teeth" that hold the disc in place in the center hole had broken off and the three floaters had scratches and scuffs on them. I hoped they would still play alright because I did NOT want to have to send this set back too. But no, they still could not make it through without skipping or stuttering.

I wish I could just send this season 4 set back instead of the whole thing, since the other seasons are okay, but I'm sure that's not possible. I'm worried I will have problems with proving tracking now, after reading some of these stories and whether the NEXT set will be broken too, even worse than this one (it would help if they would not put it in such a larger box with only crumpled newsprint to cushion the empty space around it).

I hate to wait yet ANOTHER month to get it back and keep my fingers crossed nothing goes wrong, but I don't know what else to do. I feel like I paid for a new product and I shouldn't have to live with it being broken and unwatchable right out of the box.
Old 01-03-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I wish I could just send this season 4 set back instead of the whole thing, since the other seasons are okay, but I'm sure that's not possible.

What I do with box sets that have bad discs is call them and tell them the
issue, but ask that they charge me for, and ship a new set prior to my returning
the damaged one so that I can swap out the problem discs. They send me a
return label via e-mail and about a week later the bad set is on its way back
to them (which they credit me for upon it's arrival). Way easier than having
the issue of a bad disc A out of shipment 1 and a bad disc B out of shipment 2.
Old 01-03-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my past experience, all of these horror stories are typical of DDD. I've vowed never to shop there again after being completely screwed out of a refund on an order that I was refused.

And yet people think I'm crazy when I talk about what a horrible company they are.
Old 01-03-07, 10:54 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
How long does it take for them to send replacement for a defective dvd if all goes without incident. My delivery confirmation shows they received it last Thursday.
Old 01-04-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well it looks like I might also be having problems with DDD and returns. I ordered the Looney Tunes Gold Collection Volume 3 during the 20% sale.

The item was out of stock at the time, and I decided to get it at Costco instead for a lower price. Tried to cancel but DDD said they couldn't cancel the order since it had entered the shipping process.

They said I could refuse delivery and send it back. Unfortunately they packaged it with another order I placed from the B1GI sale they ran in December, so refusing delivery was not an option.

I called customer service and they sent me a prepaid return label. I mailed the DVD December 13 and haven't heard a thing since. I called customer service about it last week and they said they have not received it yet.

Sounds similar to some of the stories I read here on recent returns. I have done several returns in the past at DDD and never had any problems before. I guess I should have returned the cheaper DVD to Costco instead since it would have been less of a headache.

I plan on calling customer service again tomorrow to hopefully get some answers.
Old 01-04-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
What I do with box sets that have bad discs is call them and tell them the
issue, but ask that they charge me for, and ship a new set prior to my returning
the damaged one so that I can swap out the problem discs. They send me a
return label via e-mail and about a week later the bad set is on its way back
to them (which they credit me for upon it's arrival). Way easier than having
the issue of a bad disc A out of shipment 1 and a bad disc B out of shipment 2.
That's a good idea and I have been thinking of doing just that, but was waiting to hear back from the email I sent them. I did, and this time for some reason, they did not automatically send me an RMA and label but instead just a terse, one-line reply: "We request you to call our customer service @ 800-264-5076 during Monday-Friday 8am-7pm Saturday 9am-5pm for further assistance."

I will call and request a new set be sent to me (and charged to me) and a label to return this one (which will gain a credit when they receive it) and won't have to worry about an endless wait for discs that may or may not be damaged.

EDIT: Just called and the CS rep was the one who said they would send me a new set out (when they get them in stock - they are backordered again) and issue me a return label for the damaged one. She said they don't normally do that, but since they keep having problems with this set being damaged when sent to me, she will. Perfect solution, now I can still watch the working discs while waiting for replacement of the non working/damaged ones.

Last edited by Lecithin; 01-04-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-04-07, 12:48 PM

I'm having problems with DDD now, too. I'm over a month out on trying to return a storage unit. I've had two different people tell me that someone would contact me "in a few days." Those days have gone from weeks, to now what has been over a month. I called again today and someone told me that they were kicking the problem up to a supervisor. I've never had any problems from DDD, only one floater (and not damaged) in all of my orders with them. This is a $130.00 item that I am trying to return, so when I can't get anywhere with them, it raises serious doubts about whether I should continue to shop there. I like their deals, I don't mind the shipping, but their customer service has been very nice to me on the phone and then they just never follow through. I hope that everyone else has better luck getting their problems solved. I'm expecting that this one will not get solved any time soon.
Old 01-05-07, 05:34 PM

I thought when you buy from any website you agree to their terms and return polices?
Old 01-09-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's to the point now where I don't know if I'll ever order from DDD again, there's always a problem with my orders. It doesn't matter if I order a single disc or ten discs, I always get at least one floater. I get the paranoid thought that they are knowingly sending out the floaters hoping that people don't mind getting damaged discs. The shipping boxes aren't damaged at all and I only live ninety miles away so they aren't getting that much handling.

One of my recent orders (three discs) didn't arrive, they sent a replacement order and it contained a wrong title. I didn't bother emailing them because I know it's such an ordeal getting things corrected.
Old 01-09-07, 03:22 PM

I'm starting to feel that way, too. I thought I would only order DVD's from DDD after getting in on some good deals. Although I've never had the problems with DVD's, I'm still having problems returning this storage cabinet.

It's funny because people say their customer service is good. Yes, everyone has been nice, but nobody knows what's going on over there. The person I talked to today said she had never put in a call tag before and that if I didn't hear anything in a week to call them back. I told her this is the fourth consecutive time that someone has told me that. I don't even know what to do at this point and I am so frustrated. I guess it's just time to start going to all of those people that I told to shop at DDD and tell them to go elsewhere.

I just don't understand how this is that difficult. I'm over a month and a half out on trying to return this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.