Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Suncoast selling email addresses?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 11:26 AM
X
Administrator

Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts

I have two email addresses that have rarely been used. One of them was only given to three companies and only one company had both of them -- Suncoast. The other two companies haven't sent me an email in years. Suncoast sends their emails to me regularly at both email addresses.

All of a sudden I'm getting total junk spam to both email addresses. It sure looks like Suncoast let somebody get ahold of them.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-02-06, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmmm - how soon is all of a sudden?

I have been recently, meaning off and on, getting waves of junk for the last couple of months. It came on all of a sudden. This may explain it then, since I was wondering what I had done, as I try to be careful.

It seems to have stopped now, but then again......it seemed like that before too.....

We'll see...
Old 11-02-06, 11:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 169 Likes on 132 Posts
All of a sudden to me is two email addresses that never got any junk mail getting loads of similar junk mail starting about a week ago.
Old 11-03-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts
I signed up for a gmail account back in the spring, and about six weeks after getting it the spammers found it. I get about four or five v1AGrrA spams in my spam folder every day.

I've only used it for a personal account and signed up for a few e-mail lists (like Livescience/space.com, Reason magazine, Konformist) that I already receive on my ISP e-mail account. But it's spam that I don't get at my primary ISP account.

G-mail does a lovely job of filtering out the spam, so I can't complain too much.

But I wonder how they got ahold of my gmail address; I didn't use it a lot and the lists I signed up for are all lists I've used before.

Are spammers using bots to plug words and numbers onto @gmail.com to try to fish out active addresses? My gmail uses a fairly uncommon word followed by a four-digit number like xxxxxxx####-at-gmail-dot-com, so I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Spammers still haven't found my hotmail account I've had since 2000 (and that I use here at DVDTalk) but that's more elaborate with punctuation.