Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Stupid Ebay Question.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 08:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the first time, I put a DVD on ebay for sale and it was sold today. I stated on my listing that it will only be shipped to the US, but the sole and winning bidder is from Sweden. The buyer had excellent feedback on ebay. Should I contact him about canceling the order or just bite the bullet and send the DVD anyway. The problem with that is, the shipping cost to Sweden alone is more than what I get from ebay.

Please advice. Thanks!
Old 10-11-06, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go to usps website, check how much shipping is and ask for $_.__ plus $2 for handling. I dont think i'll cost you more than $4 to ship it there
Old 10-11-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ftsoh
For the first time, I put a DVD on ebay for sale and it was sold today. I stated on my listing that it will only be shipped to the US, but the sole and winning bidder is from Sweden. The buyer had excellent feedback on ebay. Should I contact him about canceling the order or just bite the bullet and send the DVD anyway. The problem with that is, the shipping cost to Sweden alone is more than what I get from ebay.

Please advice. Thanks!
It should fit into a Global Priority Flat Rate envelope so check the cost of shipping at USPS.com and add the handling fee in your invoice... that way they get it fast and you can track it ...
PS remember to write his address on the envelope also (if you are printing the label online seems to be a requirement now) before you go to the post office or you can request FREE pick up ...
Old 10-11-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest emailing the winner and say that as per your listing about shipping, you will need him to provide a U.S. address where his item can be mailed.
Old 10-12-06, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
International shipments are sketchy. You can get burned with a fake money order or a reversed PayPal transaction, etc. That said, if the purchase price is nominal and the bidder pays the true shipping costs, it is probably worth it to simply go ahead and complete the transaction, especially since the bidder has good feedback. The risk of a negative feedback for an item sold for only a few dollars is not worth it IMHO.

Over the years, I have had a couple winning international bidders (both in Oz) despite my auction terms specifically limiting shipment to the US only. Both bidders had good feedback and were friendly in their emails to me so I shipped and each transaction worked out fine, but they were for CD/DVDs sold for less than $10. I would probably not have honored international bids for any items of much more value.
Old 10-12-06, 01:01 PM

You can configure your auctions to not accept bids from places you don't ship to.
Old 10-12-06, 05:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mortis beat me to it. I had to configure my account to not accept bids from outside the U.S. Even though I clearly state I will not ship outside the U.S. I would always get people winning from Canada, Portugal, Brazil, etc.
Old 10-12-06, 08:05 PM

Just an update. I emailed the buyer and he said he missed that I mentioned in the listing the DVD is only shipped to US. But he did also ask me a quote for Airmail shipping cost. Since it's a fairly heavy boxset, it might cost $20. And he bought the DVD for just under $10. Don't know if he will go for it.

I might consider blocking bidder outside of US, but then I might not be able to sell anything. Oh, well...
Old 10-12-06, 08:06 PM

I had to configure my account to not accept bids from outside the U.S. Even though I clearly state I will not ship outside the U.S. I would always get people winning from Canada, Portugal, Brazil, etc.
Same here. I explicitly state in my auctions "no international bidders" but get a bunch of messages asking if I'll ship outside of the US.

The problem is that there is no cheap trackable shipping service to a destination outside of the US. AFAIK, Global Priority is NOT trackable and thus useless if someone issues a chargeback through PayPay. Perhaps Global Express is trackable but I doubt many bidders will want to pay for that for the type of stuff I sell (CDs, DVDs, etc.)
Old 11-17-06, 10:00 PM

It's me again. I only sold three items on ebay and all with issues. The first one, which was described above was resolved with the buyer. He is cool about paying extra for shipping to Europe.

For the second DVD I sold, the buyer claimed that she sent me the Money Order over a week ago, but I never receive it. She is in NY and I am in MD. First Class Mail should takes only 3-5 days to be delivered. I am a little worry now. What if the Money Order is lost, stolen, or the buyer did not send it at all? But then again, the buyer have excellent feedback, albeit just a few.

Finally, I sold a DVD on 11/1 which the buyer did not pay and did not respond to emails and ebay dispute. What puzzle me is, he has almost 200 positive feedback and 1 negative feedback. Why did he do this to me?
Old 11-18-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's me again. I only sold three items on ebay and all with issues. The first one, which was described above was resolved with the buyer. He is cool about paying extra for shipping to Europe.

For the second DVD I sold, the buyer claimed that she sent me the Money Order over a week ago, but I never receive it. She is in NY and I am in MD. First Class Mail should takes only 3-5 days to be delivered. I am a little worry now. What if the Money Order is lost, stolen, or the buyer did not send it at all? But then again, the buyer have excellent feedback, albeit just a few.

Finally, I sold a DVD on 11/1 which the buyer did not pay and did not respond to emails and ebay dispute. What puzzle me is, he has almost 200 positive feedback and 1 negative feedback. Why did he do this to me?
when i sell i do paypal only auctions. no checks or money orders saves trips to the bank etc
Old 11-18-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The second one is all the buyers problem, but it could be that the mail is slow this time of year.

As for the third one, those things do happen regardless of feedback rating. For all you know is that the buyer went on vacation...or died...