Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

NetFlix (fullscreen / widescreen)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-04-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have shipping confirmation for "Thank You for Smoking". I added it yesterday to start my 30 day trial membership. I searched the site before adding it to my queue and they only list the FS version which is the white cover art. This is also the one pictured on the shipping notice.

Does Netflix usually carry both versions of a movie when available in FS or WS? It should arrive tomorrow but I would've chosen the red WS version if they had it listed.
Old 10-04-06, 06:46 PM

Netflix very rarely has more than one version of a movie. Also, Netflix DVD descriptions/images are not reliable. If you want accuracy beyond the title of the movie, join Blockbuster.
Old 10-05-06, 10:50 AM

I'd be very surprised if you get a fullscreen DVD. In my experience, Netflix always carries the widescreen version. It's probably just a graphics error.
Old 10-05-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been my experience that when both widescreen and fullscreen versions are alvailable, they only carry the widescreen. Let us know what you wind up with.
Old 10-05-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm happy to report they sent me the widescreen version.

Looks to be a graphics error on the site. Now I see it lists it at 2.35:1 ratio even though it's the white cover art.
Old 10-05-06, 02:31 PM

Glad you got what you wanted, but this is one of the reasons that I despise Netflix. They use a picture/description of a random DVD for a certain movie and then send you a completely different DVD. See M and The Trial for examples of this. And in my experience, if you alert the assholes at Neflix to one of these "mistakes," they will not correct it.
Old 10-06-06, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Glad you got what you wanted, but this is one of the reasons that I despise Netflix. They use a picture/description of a random DVD for a certain movie and then send you a completely different DVD. See M and The Trial for examples of this. And in my experience, if you alert the assholes at Neflix to one of these "mistakes," they will not correct it.
The only time I've encountered something like that was with Sid & Nancy. The sleeve was labeled Criterion Collection but the disc was the barebones re-release. The CC edition is long out of print, so I didn't think anything of it.

On the other hand, I rented Life of Brian fully expecting to get the cheapo version and received the Criterion instead, so it works both ways.
Old 10-12-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taronga
On the other hand, I rented Life of Brian fully expecting to get the cheapo version and received the Criterion instead, so it works both ways.
I had this delightful surprise as well.
Old 10-13-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Originally Posted by taronga
The only time I've encountered something like that was with Sid & Nancy. The sleeve was labeled Criterion Collection but the disc was the barebones re-release. The CC edition is long out of print, so I didn't think anything of it.

I've wondered how many of those OOP Criterions "accidently" get lost in the mail. I'd guess at this point they've either all been "lost in the mail" or Netflix was smart enough not to ship them anymore.