Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Have I been taken on ebay?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won an auction last week, and mailed the money order for payment on Wednesday night from the post office, around 6pm. It was either that or check, and I was a little suspicious, but there were 74 positive comments, all 100% were positive. I sent the payment, then sent an email saying I sent it. Then Friday night I sent an email saying please let me know when they get the money order and item is shipped. Mid-day today, Monday, I figured surely was enough time for the mail to get from VA to KY, so I sent another email, politely asking if they received it. Still, at almost 7pm, no response. There's no way it took from Wed night to Monday and still isn't there... did they just take the money and run? I mean, it was only $18 plus shipping.... or am I just being nervous because the payment wasn't more secure?
Old 09-18-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the following page and request their contact information:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

If you try to contact them by phone and it still doesn't work, then I'd worry.
Old 09-18-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you, I will try that.
Old 09-18-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your payment probably went out with Thursday morning's mail. With no service on Sunday, that would make today the 3rd business day. It may have been delivered today or could even get there tomorrow. Maybe the seller doesn't often check their e-mail.
Old 09-18-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Your payment probably went out with Thursday morning's mail. With no service on Sunday, that would make today the 3rd business day. It may have been delivered today or could even get there tomorrow. Maybe the seller doesn't often check their e-mail.
Think so? I'd accept that if it meant that I'm getting my item in a few days... but I send/get mail all the time that is sent one day and received the next, farther distances. But who knows.. maybe a truck had a flat tire or it's taking longer. That may be the case. And geez, who doesn't check their email Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday???? Does such an archaic world exist where once doesn't check their email????

I hope you are right and I'm just worrying for nothing. I tried the information request like was posted, but all I got was the same name, address I sent it it to, and the same email address. Oh well. I'll wait and see.
Old 09-18-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, then go to the following page and use the name and/or address to look up the phone number:

http://www.whitepages.com/10001/reverse_address

eBay didn't send you a phone number at all? I thought all eBay members required to have a phone number on file.
Old 09-18-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Well, then go to the following page and use the name and/or address to look up the phone number:

http://www.whitepages.com/10001/reverse_address

eBay didn't send you a phone number at all? I thought all eBay members required to have a phone number on file.

No, they did not provide a phone number. Not a real one, anyway. If I do not receive an email back by mid-day tomorrow, I will call the phone number the white pages gave me, as 4.5 days, of which 2.5 are business days is too long not to respond to an email from someone who sent you money after winning an auction.
Old 09-18-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep sending emails every day and the guy will probably hold off mailing your item out of spite.

Seriously, give it a chance to fall into place - maybe the guy took a long weekend or something, perhaps he received your payment and immediately shipped the item out before going off on vacation - any number of possible scenarios, none of which will be helped by multiple emails a mere five days after mailing payment.

Last edited by marty888; 09-18-06 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if all else fails and you are totally convinced that he's trying to cheat you, post all of this in Other like Cameron.
Old 09-19-06, 12:38 AM
Suspended

If you have the address you can find the phone number if its listed by going to searchbug.com & doing a search by address.
Old 09-19-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GradVT06
I won an auction last week, and mailed the money order for payment on Wednesday night from the post office, around 6pm. It was either that or check, and I was a little suspicious, but there were 74 positive comments, all 100% were positive. I sent the payment, then sent an email saying I sent it. Then Friday night I sent an email saying please let me know when they get the money order and item is shipped. Mid-day today, Monday, I figured surely was enough time for the mail to get from VA to KY, so I sent another email, politely asking if they received it. Still, at almost 7pm, no response.
It's only been three business days! When I sell stuff I can't stand it when people are hounding me asking for shipping information. Give it a week.
Old 09-19-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by namlook
It's only been three business days! When I sell stuff I can't stand it when people are hounding me asking for shipping information. Give it a week.

Would you give them a week to pay for the auction? Or would you hound them after 5 calendar days?
Old 09-19-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by namlook
Agreed, I love it when they send out their payment, and 2 days later they ask why they haven't got their item yet...
Old 09-19-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trout
Agreed, I love it when they send out their payment, and 2 days later they ask why they haven't got their item yet...
I'm asking if they received the payment, which has no security whatsoever. There's a big difference. I think three business days and five calendar days is more than fair to send out a response, whether they received it or not. Also, most auctions require fast payment, some state within 24 hours of auction's end. Now they have my money and my item. Am I not entitled to a speedy response?
Old 09-19-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GradVT06
Am I not entitled to a speedy response?
I don't really know. Different sellers, different rules. When buying on E-bay, always remember: Caveat Emptor.
Old 09-19-06, 08:37 AM
Banned

It has been getting more and more difficult to deal on Ebay, I know many people swear up and down how bad Paypal is, but in reality if the OP would have paid with Paypal he would be covered, now with a MO it is not looking good. Make sure you contact Ebay and let them know. Not sure if they will help get you a refund but it will help to get this fraud removed from feebay. Good Luck
Old 09-19-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
It has been getting more and more difficult to deal on Ebay, I know many people swear up and down how bad Paypal is, but in reality if the OP would have paid with Paypal he would be covered, now with a MO it is not looking good. Make sure you contact Ebay and let them know. Not sure if they will help get you a refund but it will help to get this fraud removed from feebay. Good Luck
I would have gladly used PayPal if the seller took it. Now, this was for an $18 item plus shipping.... I would not have bid on the auction if it was much more than that and paypal wasn't an option. I did email a previoius purchaser of the same item and asked them, and they said they sent a check and never heard an email back from the person, but it took a week after the check posted to their account until the package was even postmarked, and another 3 days to get it in. I'm just wondering why they left positive feedback stating "Quick, easy transaction".
Old 09-19-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your payment may not have been postmarked until Thursday if you did drop it off at 6PM. Nevertheless, they should have received by Tuesday (today). I would be really concerned by Friday for sure. Also, there are sellers and buyers that are simply poor communicators on Ebay these days. For all you know, they may have already cashed the money order and the item is on its way (fingers crossed). When I sell/buy a dvd on Ebay, I am big on communication; after all I consider that a big part of positive feedback.
Old 09-19-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dablueguy
Would you give them a week to pay for the auction? Or would you hound them after 5 calendar days?
I ask them after 5 calendar days, but I've had people take over a week to pay for items for no discernable reason. I've had them go on vacation as an auction is ending, I've had them need time for PayPal to clear money added to their account, etc. My favorite was a guy who sniped an auction of mine with 30 seconds left. I was watching and e-mailed him an invoice within a minute of auction close. Took 8 days for him to PayPal me my $6. No apology or explanation given.
Old 09-19-06, 01:56 PM
Banned

One buyer who has taken over a week to pay told me over the phone today he was unable to pay for the item he won because he has been working long hours at the hospital. I have heard many excuses from buyers thru the years!
Old 09-19-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember listing a CD for auction and it ended with no bids. A few weeks later I was checking my e-mail and someone had asked a question while the auction was in progress. I usually just buy/bid and that e-mail wasn't my primary address.
Old 09-19-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite buyer story....Guy wins a DVD I listed for $4.00. He pays, I ship. He returns the DVD a few days later with a note explaining that he had already purchased that particular DVD and could he please have a refund. I check his buying activity and sure enough he had also won another auction for the same DVD a week after mine closed for $3.75. So I am out my listing fee and he is out return postage just so that he can save a quarter. The mind wobbles.....
Old 09-19-06, 05:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Most Ebay sellers are just casual sellers. They are not Amazon--sending out emails for order confirmation and then shipping. I always sent out a "I shipped your item" email because it makes most people happy. Other people are a pain in the neck. One guy from California takes 10 days to send me a money order for a book. I'm in Jersey. The day after he finally puts it in the mail he starts emailing me asking why I haven't shipped. I keep emailing back saying it takes more than a day for a letter to get from coast to coast. The darn thing took 7 days to reach me. So by the 7th email I was able to tell him I shipped and gave him a tracking number. It was media mail, so of course he began the emails the next day telling me it has not arrived yet. 6 of those he finally received it. I banned him from bidding on any of my auctions.
Old 09-19-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, at least most of those are comforting that perhaps she's just slow and not as big on communication as I am.
Old 09-20-06, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
My favorite buyer story....Guy wins a DVD I listed for $4.00. He pays, I ship. He returns the DVD a few days later with a note explaining that he had already purchased that particular DVD and could he please have a refund. I check his buying activity and sure enough he had also won another auction for the same DVD a week after mine closed for $3.75. So I am out my listing fee and he is out return postage just so that he can save a quarter. The mind wobbles.....
You should have emailed him and said, "Thanks for the free dvd!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.