Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

No more "New Releases Table" at Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone else notice that the tables with all of the new releases are not at Best Buy anymore. I asked an employee about it today and he said that the corporate office put an end to it and the stores didn't know why. He is taking down the info of everyone who has complained about it and passing it on the the powers that be. He said it had been around 100 people so far. Anyone else miss this? If so, be sure to complain to your local stores and call their 1-800 number if you get a chance.

Since prices are so similar between BB, CC, Target, etc. lately, the fact that I could pick everything easily is sometimes a deciding factor in my choosing BB over the competition and that is no more.
Old 09-07-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally haven't been out on new release Tuesday in many months, but I always found that table to be very convenient. Sad to see it go.
Old 09-07-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,087 Posts
Yup. That sounds like something a corporate office would do. eliminate the convienience for the customers I'm guessing because the tables weren't pleaseing enough for the eye, or perhaps they feel it keeps the customer from venturing further into the store.
Old 09-07-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that's probably it, they want customers pouring over the aisles trying to find stuff. Silliness.
Old 09-07-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think that's probably it, they want customers pouring over the aisles trying to find stuff. Silliness.
...in the hopes they make additional impulse purchases.
Old 09-07-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All it would do is slow me down. I'm not going to impulse buy anyway.
Old 09-07-06, 04:21 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
...in the hopes they make additional impulse purchases.
Totally. They have cheaper prices on new releases to use them as loss leaders as they want people to come for them and buy other stuff not on sale.

Having the table reduces the chances that people will by other things that catch their eye while digging for the new releases in the main video section.
Old 09-07-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my local Best Buys actually has the DVD section right at the front door when you walk in and the new release shelf is almost literally right in your face as you walk in. Never had the table there. I've been to a lot of Best Buys and that's the only one I've seen laid out like that. All the other ones have the DVD's in the back of the store by the TV walls.
Old 09-07-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hadn't noticed the table was gone, but I'm glad it is. It was maddening to see that table filled with 3 DVDs that BB decided to get behind and promote, and then the same 3 DVDs filling all of the space of the New Release shelves, and then encountering cardboard displays for those same 3 DVDs a few feet further away. In the store I go to, the DVDs are in the front by the door, and right off of the main aisle, so you'd have all of these within 15' of eachother. It would only make things worse when BB would not have other new releases because they've devoted all of these sections of their store to the same 3 DVDs.

Those tables also kind of made it look like a garage sale, I think. It never looked like it belonged there.
Old 09-08-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
I hadn't noticed the table was gone, but I'm glad it is. It was maddening to see that table filled with 3 DVDs that BB decided to get behind and promote, and then the same 3 DVDs filling all of the space of the New Release shelves, and then encountering cardboard displays for those same 3 DVDs a few feet further away. In the store I go to, the DVDs are in the front by the door, and right off of the main aisle, so you'd have all of these within 15' of eachother. It would only make things worse when BB would not have other new releases because they've devoted all of these sections of their store to the same 3 DVDs.

Those tables also kind of made it look like a garage sale, I think. It never looked like it belonged there.
You had crappy stores, then. The tables at my store were awesome. Big with lots of variety.
Old 09-08-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That table was a joke. Never organized, missing items and nowhere near the rest of the dvd's.

Glad they got rid of it.
Old 09-08-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At my best buy there never was a new release table. You just walked through to the middle of the store and there was one display shelving unit of all new releases/flyer advtised DVD in addition to the standalone displays they have.
Old 09-08-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
One of my local Best Buys actually has the DVD section right at the front door when you walk in and the new release shelf is almost literally right in your face as you walk in. Never had the table there. I've been to a lot of Best Buys and that's the only one I've seen laid out like that. All the other ones have the DVD's in the back of the store by the TV walls.
Mine's like this too. As soon as you walk in, you're staring at the new release shelf.
Old 09-08-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Table was plain annoying and they never kept it stocked and had the wrong price tags on items at my store. Good riddance!
Old 09-09-06, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i hated the tables because they always had someone in the middle of them trying to sell me cd-wallets and disc cleaners and crap. Aslo for the past year CC has been cheaper almost every single week on every item on sale (DVDs are usually 16.99 or 17.99 but 14.99 at CC, and cds are 11.99, but 9.99 at CC--When you buy 5-8 items a week, it adds up), so I don't think their prices are so similar.
Old 09-09-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Y[I]ou had crappy stores, then. The tables at my store were awesome. Big with lots of variety.
Yeah, I can't argue with that. I had a couple of great stores where I used to live, but like everything else in Vegas, they have a crappy selection with crappy employees.
Old 09-09-06, 05:58 PM
Banned

You had crappy stores, then.

A Best Buy store cannot be anything other than crappy.
Old 09-11-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
A Best Buy store cannot be anything other than crappy.
You can't help yourself, can you?
Old 09-11-06, 01:50 PM

I haven't shopped at a Best Buy in several years... but I always found that table to be rather annoying, and generally missing the one or two titles I was there to pick up anyway. I almost always buy DVDs used these days, but if I do pick up a new release outside of the store I work at, I buy from Target.
Old 09-11-06, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Totally. They have cheaper prices on new releases to use them as loss leaders as they want people to come for them and buy other stuff not on sale.

Having the table reduces the chances that people will by other things that catch their eye while digging for the new releases in the main video section.
They should just throw some similar, non sale items on the table. Like if they have a sequel on sale, put the original on the table too.
Old 09-13-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one best buy by me has the dvds and new releases as soon as you walk in and another had the table, but it was directly next to the new releases, so you could literally move two or three feet to the left and get the new releases off of the shelf, so it wasn't really that helpful. the table didn't bother me though.
Old 09-17-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always thought the table looked tacky. And yeah, it was always right next to the new release shelf at my BB as well.
Old 09-17-06, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

You can always check IMDB.com for the new releases and upcoming releases. For myself I rarely buy soon as it hits the self, it has to be special, otherwise I wait for the price drop which rarely is far away.
Old 09-19-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matome
Is that the one on 5th Avenue b/w 43th & 44th? I hate going there- their selections usually sucks, but it's not far from my office, so I end up shopping there quite a bit.
Old 09-26-06, 12:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
since the demise of the 'new release' table - the overall stocking of the new releases has become worse at the Tenleytown (Washington DC) BB location. As of this week, this is third time I have had to ask for a DVD from the stockroom. The new releases should be out by lunch time when the lunch folk come in, currently they are not. The only discs out were: The Lake House, 'Curious George', a stand up display for 'Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift'.

The inclusion and stocking of HD-DVD and BluRay titles is quite frankly a joke: they couldn't even find last week's 'Eight Below' - even with the inserts ad of it,the store had a box of them that they couldn't even find in the stockroom. New release HD-DVD's - uh? where? the sad little standup display sits almost hidden and is completely not up to date.

Unexcuseable.

is there a way to complain about this to Best Buy direct via online?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.