Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Good Fry's Experience (to counter bad BestBuy experiences)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would tell a story about a experience at Fry's that could have been bad, but turn out well because of responsive customer service. Perhaps if a BestBuy corporate denizen slithers through this forum, they will understand how they compare to their competition.

-----

On Sunday I wandered into Frys to return a couple items. While I was there I ran down the main isle to see what was on sale. Off to the side was the last box of "Beyond TV" for $0 AR. This is a hardware/software package that lets you use your PC as a PVR. Since I am always screwing around with PVRs (I have a Tivo, HP MCE PC, and MythTV box) I decided to pick it up. What the heck, I'll give it a whirl.

Then I walked to the register and pay for the item. After the transaction is complete, I am given 2 rebates. The $30 rebate would be no problem but the $20 rebate was an competitve upgrade rebate. Since I do not own a qualifying product, I was not eligible for the $20 rebate.

I complained to the cashier. I said that the sign clearly stated the the package was $0 after 2 rebates. There was nothing about having to have a competitor's product.

The cashier left his register and walked with me back to the table where I found the box. The sign was missing and there was a stack of new boxes placed there. Then he went back to the shelves where the item is located when not on sale and found the shelf tag. Yep, two rebates with no mention of one being a competitve upgrade. So back to the front we go.

The cashier finds his manager who tells me that the sign should have stated that it was a competitive upgrade rebate. I said that I agree, but that's not my fault and I already paid for the item. I told her that since the sign stated $0 AR and I couldn't get the $20 rebate, I thought they should refund me $20. She left for a minute, then directed me to customer service where they charged back $20 + tax to my card.

Throughout the experience the cashier was eager and helpful, the manager was polite, and even though it took about 20 minutes, in the end I was happy.

-----

Summary: I bought an item with 2 rebates; Fry's refunded me $20 for rebate I couldn't get because the signage was unclear. I'm pleased.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 08-16-06 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-15-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Hmm... just wait until Fry's screws you out of the $30 rebate.

I love Fry's (especially videogame prices) and I'm glad they took care of you, though.
Old 08-15-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I've had a similar thing happen to me...rebate was no longer available, sign not taken down. Quick trip to customer service (after I paid), they credited me for the entire rebate (Around $50 on a $170 item)
Old 08-15-06, 06:21 PM
Suspended

I love Frys, I pretty much spend 90% of my b&m sales there when it comes to DVDs. If I cant find it at Frys then I just buy it from Amazon, Digitaleyes, or DDD.

Fry's has a large selection, cheap prices, and pretty good customer service.
Old 08-18-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I hate Fry's and would go to BB anyday over that shithole. I have never seen such a disorganized DVD section in my life and the employees are ass.
Old 08-18-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I hate Fry's and would go to BB anyday over that shithole. I have never seen such a disorganized DVD section in my life and the employees are ass.
Consider yourself lucky that you even have a Fry's to hate.
Old 08-18-06, 09:49 AM
Banned

I love frys so much. I dont know anywhere else you can get so many PC parts from different brands at such amazing prices. Id like to see you walk into walmart and walk out with a Asus motherboard and P4 CPU with Antec HTPC case. Not gonna happen. Frys just rocks. I also have 4+ frys within short range of where i live, so if one doesnt have the item im looking for, another local one will. I LOVE IT! Returns suck, but as long as you have a receipt and the item is intact, it usually goes through ok.
Old 08-18-06, 12:01 PM

You guys are lucky to have such a great Fry's around. The few that I have around can care less about customer service. My policy when shopping at Fry's is "All sales final'.
Old 08-18-06, 08:49 PM
Banned

Fry's and Circuit City are miles ahead of Shit Buy. People who shop at Best Buy either have no other option or are dumb as hell.
Old 08-28-06, 02:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdollaz
You work for Best Buy dont you?
Old 08-28-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
You work for Best Buy dont you?

Last edited by cdollaz; 08-28-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Fry's and Circuit City are miles ahead of Shit Buy. People who shop at Best Buy either have no other option or are dumb as hell.
Meh. I guess I'm dumb since I like my new releases laid out on a table where I can easily find them as opposed to having to dig through every DVD in the store (Fry's) or going to a store who will not have them on release day, and if they actually do have them, are impossible to find (CC).
Old 08-28-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know about Texas, but my Fry's has at least two to three times the DVD selection of BB. If I am looking for something that's not a new release, Fry's is also far more likely to have it.

And they do have the new releases on an end-cap.
Old 08-28-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I don't know about Texas, but my Fry's has at least two to three times the DVD selection of BB. If I am looking for something that's not a new release, Fry's is also far more likely to have it.

And they do have the new releases on an end-cap.
Definitely different than the Fry's near me. It is a confusing mess and almost impossible to find many things, especially music DVD's. Also no new DVD's on the endcap.