Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Hastings PVD prices on the rise

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what's up with Hastings and the new price structure for previously viewed DVDs? I first noticed it with Walk the Line, which, in spite of a shelf full of copies, they had mysteriously priced at $12.99, while everything else was at $9.99, or less. Yesterday I noticed that most of the newly pulled PVD DVD's are now priced at $12.99, and they still had all those $12.99 copies of Walk the Line. This would make more sense to me if they were structuring like Hollywood, where there is always at least a buy 3 for $30 sale in progress, but they had no buy 2 get 1 for a penny sale in conjuction with their new prices.

I'd buy single copies there at $9.99 even when they didn't have a B21P sale in progress. With the B21P sale they were the best deal around. Their new prices make them the worst deal, especially when you consider the fact that many of their PVD titles don't hit the shelves until weeks after they're available at Movie Gallery, or even Hollywood.

Does this signal an industry trend, or is Hastings just repositioning themselves in the DVD after market? If it's an industry trend, I guess I'll soon be making 100% of my purchases online.
Old 05-12-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping they're gearing up for a sale, the store here has massive overstock of them now that they're not running the B2G1P sale at the moment. There's quite a few that I would have bought by now if they were running the sale and weren't priced at 12.99
Old 05-13-06, 11:18 PM

I was just at my Hastings and they had all used DVD's for 30% off. It may have something to do with that.
Old 05-14-06, 01:38 AM

Well I work at hastings and most stores should have had a 30% off all used dvd's and I asked about the buy 2 get 1 for a penny and it should be comming back very soon as for the prices....??? not sure but when National Treasure got pulled it was 14.99 and then about a week later went down to 9.99 I think the same will (hopefully) happen with Walk the line and other releases.
Old 05-25-06, 08:47 AM

I have noticed that at my local Hastings stores that depending on the movie they usually always start out at $12.99 or $14.99 then in a couple of weeks drop to $9.99,then if they are still overstocked on the title they will drop even further.When I see one I want but it's $12.99 or $14.99,I just wait a couple of weeks and then get it for $9.99,or in some kind of sale,but they always drop in price within a couple of weeks or so.