Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

scifiboxsets.com (Six Feet Under 1-4)?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.scifiboxsets.com/catalog/...products_id=58

Is this a bootleg? If the stuff they sell is bootleg, then is this paragraph an illegal statement?:

"All sets consist of brand new, licensed, legal, factory made high quality DVD's.
The DVD's are Guaranteed to Play in all DVD Players.
These are foreign manufactured sets and may have foreign writing
on boxes and/or DVD's. However, all DVD's are in English and
will play in any US DVD player. No fancy boxes just savings.
We Only Sell Official Release DVD Box Sets.
We do not tolerate or sell pirated or bootleg versions."

I realize it's always buyer beware, but wonder if anyone has bought anything from this place and did you get screwed. I know Asian print on the cover usually means bootleg, but why would they go out of their way to add that disclaimer then? The return policy is pretty severe, as well as confusing. They don't take returns, but you must send back the bad dvd to get another copy? They won't take back dvd's that have been opened, but state they will replace defective disks. Now how does one know if they are defective without opening them? Xray vision? I seem to get that they will EXCHANGE a disk but won't refund your money outright?

"All sets are special order and may not be canceled or returned. We will replace free of charge any defective disks that may be contained in any set at no charge to you, once you return them to us for replacement at ScifiBoxSets 6459 Aiken Road, Lockport, NY 14094, and include a legible name and return address with zip code. In the rare event that you get a totally bad set we will replace it once we have received it back at our store. If the package is opened we will not take a return as we can not legally resell the set, once you open it , it becomes used. If you still want a refund we will charge a 15% restocking fee, if any of the disks have been copied illegally we will not refund you for any reason.You must contact us by email using the contact link on the site prior to return. No return that is not authorized will be accepted. Disks for replacement need no prior authorization. We will replace any defective disk free of charge period. So in effect there is never a reason for a set to be returned.

How do ya like that for speaking in circles? Please note, I'm not that stupid, but I am however, cheap, or I wouldn't even be looking at this questionable website. This seems like a duplicate site of boxtvsets.com
Old 04-13-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about just buying used on Half.com or something? I just added up Seasons 1-4 there and it came to $175 plus shipping.
Old 04-13-06, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, but Half.com even more vague...

Well, yea, the prices there are also too good to be beleived. Most of the seller's descriptions are just as vague. I'm back to where I started with the NEW box sets being the Asian copies. The legit. used ones are starting at $391. So, I guess what I am interested to know is has anyone bought these Asian bootleg-suspect disks and were they not just playable, but of decent quality?
Old 04-13-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't do business with that store, something is really odd about it. While some of the asian sets they have may not be bootlegs, I'm betting some of the asian sets they have are bootlegs. If you look at their non-boot releases of shows, they are usually charging almost twice as much as it costs anywhere else. Just two that I looked at randomly:

American Chopper Season 3: $30.79
Amazon price: $17.99

A-Team Season 2: $62.48
Amazon price: $36.99
Old 04-13-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Time to apply some logic. They say:

"All sets consist of brand new, licensed, legal, factory made high quality DVD's.
The DVD's are Guaranteed to Play in all DVD Players.
These are foreign manufactured sets and may have foreign writing
on boxes and/or DVD's. However, all DVD's are in English and
will play in any US DVD player."

Do we really believe that HBO (or any other legit distributor) would grant foreign license to a company that would permit them to do a region-free product? It makes no sense to authorize some other country to put out a product that will "play in any US DVD player" - that undermines the whole concept of region coding.