Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountCD.com CANCELLED my order?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About a week ago, I ordered five CDs from DeepDiscountCD. I received the order confirmation e-mail, as well as the second e-mail confirming the CDs were in-stock. After a few days, I check my online order status because I never received a shipping confirmation notice, only to discover that my entire order has been marked CANCELLED. (The CDs are still listed as 'in-stock')

I've read where others have complained about DDD cancelling orders with no explaination....why would they do such a thing??
Old 04-09-06, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Call them and ask.
Old 04-09-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Was your order paid through Bill Me Later-if so-they may not have granted you credit.
Old 04-09-06, 03:45 PM

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow. I'd rather take an ass whoopin' than deal with CS reps.
Old 04-09-06, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Was your order paid through Bill Me Later-if so-they may not have granted you credit.
Nope, credit card order as always. I also noticed that my order history shows no previous orders being made, even though I'm a long time customer.
Old 04-11-06, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also amazed to find DDD orders cancelled recently, and even more amazed that it stems from orders made three years ago from here in the UK.

In June 2003 I ordered 'The Lonesome Dove Collection' from DDD, it shipped June 23...and then disappeared.

After a few weeks of toing and froing, as is their custom, DDD processed a refund rather than ship a replacement and I ordered again in August; by October, still no shipment, I got another refund.

Never say die; in November, despite many reports in various internet fora that shipments from them to European destinations were going AWOL I tried again. It shipped Dec 5, 2003 and I got it just in time for Christmas. Third time's a charm.

I didn't consider using DDD again until last month; understandably I was very wary, their CS didn't seem particularly good, but what the hell, let bygones be bygones. For the life of me I couldn't remember my account details, so I set up a new one, same name, same address and I ordered 12 DVDs from their Columbia sale.

They arrived within 10 days of shipping; excellent. So I ordered eight more, in two shipments of four each. They were cancelled without explanation. I tired again. Cancelled again. I emailed them, and my emails bounced back to me.

Eventually I called them; had a conversation with one of their reps, asked what was going on and was given no explanation - must be a glitch online she said, so took my order over the 'phone. Nothing happened.

I rang again. To my amazement I was told that I was blacklisted, that because the copies of 'The Lonesome Dove Collection' had gone missing they could no longer deliver to my address. I was flabbergasted. I had received no warning prior, no email (except a couple of apologies), they said that bouncing emails from people so marked on their system was normal practice.

I was damned angry; they were tantamount accusing me of theft, when - considering the number of people who had shipments go missing - the problem obviously lay along their shipping lines. They said they were willing to give me 'another chance', but any further problems and I would outcast forever. They had no explanation as to why they allowed the shipment of Dec. 2003 to go through, and said that my setting up of a new account was the reason my shipment of a month ago was accepted. I slipped through the net, but I was given the impression that I'd somehow been 'caught out'.

I was so amazed that I couldn't get the words 'you can cram it' out of my mouth, or maybe mother Hodson brought me up better than that.

All this has left a very nasty taste in my mouth; I haven't made any more orders with DDD, and it will take a while for my temper to cool before I consider them again.
Old 04-13-06, 05:30 PM
CS@DeepDiscount

Originally Posted by John Hodson
I was also amazed to find DDD orders cancelled recently, and even more amazed that it stems from orders made three years ago from here in the UK.

In June 2003 I ordered 'The Lonesome Dove Collection' from DDD, it shipped June 23...and then disappeared.

After a few weeks of toing and froing, as is their custom, DDD processed a refund rather than ship a replacement and I ordered again in August; by October, still no shipment, I got another refund.

Never say die; in November, despite many reports in various internet fora that shipments from them to European destinations were going AWOL I tried again. It shipped Dec 5, 2003 and I got it just in time for Christmas. Third time's a charm.

I didn't consider using DDD again until last month; understandably I was very wary, their CS didn't seem particularly good, but what the hell, let bygones be bygones. For the life of me I couldn't remember my account details, so I set up a new one, same name, same address and I ordered 12 DVDs from their Columbia sale.

They arrived within 10 days of shipping; excellent. So I ordered eight more, in two shipments of four each. They were cancelled without explanation. I tired again. Cancelled again. I emailed them, and my emails bounced back to me.

Eventually I called them; had a conversation with one of their reps, asked what was going on and was given no explanation - must be a glitch online she said, so took my order over the 'phone. Nothing happened.

I rang again. To my amazement I was told that I was blacklisted, that because the copies of 'The Lonesome Dove Collection' had gone missing they could no longer deliver to my address. I was flabbergasted. I had received no warning prior, no email (except a couple of apologies), they said that bouncing emails from people so marked on their system was normal practice.

I was damned angry; they were tantamount accusing me of theft, when - considering the number of people who had shipments go missing - the problem obviously lay along their shipping lines. They said they were willing to give me 'another chance', but any further problems and I would outcast forever. They had no explanation as to why they allowed the shipment of Dec. 2003 to go through, and said that my setting up of a new account was the reason my shipment of a month ago was accepted. I slipped through the net, but I was given the impression that I'd somehow been 'caught out'.

I was so amazed that I couldn't get the words 'you can cram it' out of my mouth, or maybe mother Hodson brought me up better than that.

All this has left a very nasty taste in my mouth; I haven't made any more orders with DDD, and it will take a while for my temper to cool before I consider them again.

Mr. Hodson-
Your account was 'flagged' due to suspicious activity by our Loss Prevention Team. I apologize for the lack of communication on our part, but we must have tight loss prevention controls. We are continously monitoring and working with our international carriers to ensure that packages arrive at their destination and in doing so, we have not only improved our international delivery times, we have also significantly decreased our overall claims. This situation has been rectified and there is no longer a 'flag' against your account. I sincerely apologize and hope that you choose to shop with us again. Please allow for me to personally handle your future orders. I will ensure that deliverly will be made.

Jason Talaue
Customer Service Supervisor
Deep Discount DVD
Old 04-13-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DDD is simply awful. They refused to cancel an order of mine a few weeks ago because it was 'in the warehouse', and yet it didn't ship until 3 days later. Then, I never received the order at all, demanded a refund, was promised one, and still haven't gotten it.
Old 04-13-06, 07:41 PM

As it turns out, DeepDiscountCD was not at fault for my order being canceled, I simply neglected to update the expiration date when my card was renewed, so it was my mistake entirely. For the record, I have received perfect service from DeepDiscountCD.
Old 04-13-06, 09:23 PM

Skull, if you call DDCD and tell them that you forgot to change your exp., they will let you redo the original at the original prices.
Old 04-13-06, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by counpk39
Skull, if you call DDCD and tell them that you forgot to change your exp., they will let you redo the original at the original prices.
I've already reordered, the CDs shipped today.
Old 04-14-06, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by CS@DeepDiscount
Mr. Hodson-
Your account was 'flagged' due to suspicious activity by our Loss Prevention Team. I apologize for the lack of communication on our part, but we must have tight loss prevention controls. We are continously monitoring and working with our international carriers to ensure that packages arrive at their destination and in doing so, we have not only improved our international delivery times, we have also significantly decreased our overall claims. This situation has been rectified and there is no longer a 'flag' against your account. I sincerely apologize and hope that you choose to shop with us again. Please allow for me to personally handle your future orders. I will ensure that deliverly will be made.

Jason Talaue
Deep Discount DVD
I understand fully the need to prevent theft and I also understand that simple errors lead to lack of communication. What really ruffled my feathers was the attitude of your staff when I rang on the second occasion; I was given the distinct impression that I was guilty of theft and that I was somehow under probation. Again I know that these things happen, but you must understand my ire.

I do thank you, however, Jason, for taking an interest in this matter; no doubt I will use DDD at some point again and we can put this behind us.
Old 04-14-06, 06:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Hodson
[....] I was told that I was blacklisted, that because the copies of 'The Lonesome Dove Collection' had gone missing they could no longer deliver to my address. I was flabbergasted. I had received no warning prior, no email (except a couple of apologies), they said that bouncing emails from people so marked on their system was normal practice.

I was damned angry; they were tantamount accusing me of theft, when - considering the number of people who had shipments go missing - the problem obviously lay along their shipping lines.
You have your answer now - from the (er) horse's mouth - but it may be of interest to know that some years I had an order each from CDNow and Amazon go missing. Both were re-issued but I was told that if there was a further problem in my postal area they would not be able to continue sending orders to my address. I considered this acceptable and I understand that, as of this year, various UK e-tailers are pooling information and "blacklisting" problem post code areas.

I don't think this is intended to reflect on the potential recipient; more a risk analysis based on experience of the area. The practice of bouncing emails does seem distinctly odd, though. Maybe the CS person you spoke to really didn't have a clue how the firm operated and/or hated their job. Hopefully that has now been rectified....

.... as it happens I think my non-delivery problem was due to a postman who tended to leave packages on the doorstep (even when they'd fit through th eletterbox) and a thieving neighbour. It was too much of a coincidence for items sent by separate firms both to go missing. And the neighbour did come round within a month with a software disc that she said had been wrongly delivered to her home. For some reason said disc was snapped in half! The irony was that the licensed copy of Windows ME might have been worth a little more than the music that went missing.

Last edited by benedict; 04-14-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by CS@DeepDiscount
I sincerely apologize and hope that you choose to shop with us again. Please allow for me to personally handle your future orders. I will ensure that deliverly will be made.

Jason Talaue
Deep Discount DVD
Well, I did go ahead and make several orders - I didn't bother you with them Jason because I figured we'd wing it and see how things went; three parcels were shipped around a week ago and all have arrived safely, super quick for transatlantic transactions, well packaged and good prices. I think it's safe to say (fingers crossed) that we are back on track!