Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Best Buy Price Match Exception

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-28-06, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get a price match from Best Buy with LADY AND THE TRAMP. The competition was selling at $14.99 with trading cards while BB's price was $16.99 with a plush dog.

They said they could not price match since their "freebie" was not exactly the same as the competitor.

When I asked for the price-match WITHOUT their plush dog, they still refused.

Even though BB proudly advertises their willingness to price match, in reality they really don't want to. I guess management has figured out all kinds of ways to weasel out of matching prices!
Old 02-28-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I bet those stupid giveaways (plush dolls, trading cards, posters, and other BB "exclusives") are partially planned to combat price-matching. The couple times I tried to get a price-match, they refused. One was for a HDTV -- the managed explained they couldn't price-match because the other store (American) was running a sale. Well, duh ... of course it's a sale, it says so right in the flyer.
Old 02-28-06, 01:42 PM

Ah, best buy...home of asshat managers and moron clerks. Best Buy hates us deal hunters. We are the bad customers they want to get rid of. This is why we are treated like dirt.

I saw in last weeks ad that they would back up all your important files to a single dvd-r for only 80 something dollars! What a deal!!!
Old 02-28-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
In part, yes, and it's not just limited to Best Buy. Children's furniture, appliances, and mattresses are some big examples-- they'll price match the regular [sometimes sale] any store who has the same item in stock. First it has to be in stock. Whoops, but not in a membership club. Then it has to be the exact same model. Sorry, ours is the Electric Company 43154XLB, theirs is the Electric Company 43154XLS. What's the difference? The B and the S.

A price match with no dog seems fair, but I guess their thinking is that since the total purchase isn't the same, it doesn't qualify [since at CC you get the cards as well].
Old 02-28-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I bet those stupid giveaways (plush dolls, trading cards, posters, and other BB "exclusives") are partially planned to combat price-matching.
you nailed it right there.
Old 02-28-06, 07:24 PM

i went to the pasadena bestbuy and the girl had to have the ad and call CC to make sure they had some left. she wouldn't give me the plush doll either but another guy there gave it to me. LOL i was able to get it price match it though but what a hassle!

Kat
Old 03-01-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to price match CC without even having a copy of the ad with me.
They knew CC had it at $14.99 without my telling them (only asking if I needed
the ad with me or if they needed to call over), and even asked if I had a plush
already. This was in eastern Massachusetts, and in the past I have hit the wall
of stubborness at Best Buy (and I expected issues here as well, but was pleasantly
surprised), so ymmv.
Old 03-01-06, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtcarson
In part, yes, and it's not just limited to Best Buy. Children's furniture, appliances, and mattresses are some big examples-- they'll price match the regular [sometimes sale] any store who has the same item in stock. First it has to be in stock.
Actually, if you read Best Buy's price matching verbaige, it says NOTHING about it being in stock at another competitor! I've had to come to terms with a manager a time or two over that. The first time, I threatened to reverse the charge for the portion in question. He finally saw the light...
Old 03-01-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
hmm..
"simply bring in proof of a local retail competitor's price on the same available brand and model"

I interpret "available" as "available to buy", ie, in stock.

"If the item is out of stock or the competitor has limited quantities of an item, then the product is not eligible for price matching."

This is from the website's notice of 'store price guarantee', and I guess the print on the wall of the store might be slightly different, but I've always interpreted as 'had to be in stock elsewhere.' Because why else would they PM? if CC is cheaper, but they don't have it, your choices are buying at BB or not buying at all [at least B&M].
Old 03-03-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathen
Actually, if you read Best Buy's price matching verbaige, it says NOTHING about it being in stock at another competitor! I've had to come to terms with a manager a time or two over that. The first time, I threatened to reverse the charge for the portion in question. He finally saw the light...
It does say that.