Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD Sale (After Sale Talk)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.
View Poll Results: DDD, love them or hate them?
Never had a problem.
49.09%
Have had problems, but they've always fixed them.
43.64%
Have had problems, never got resolved.
7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

DDD Sale (After Sale Talk)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point is that IF DDD was good about handling the complaints, people like me would have posted once. And the post would read something like, "DDD screwed up but they've fixed it and they rule."

It has nothing to do with DD making mistakes, it's how they're handling it. Amazon has screwed up my orders in the past but I still love amazon because they're always awesome at fixing their mistakes. (On the other hand, Overstock treated me worse than DDD).
Old 01-02-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the wrong Saving Private Ryan and returned it and got credit back within 2 weeks...I love DDD!!
Old 01-03-06, 07:05 AM

I spent $1650 on this last sale. It took roughly five weeks to recieve all but one disk("One Dark Night" release date was pushed back, but they still gave me the sale price). All disks were in great shape, the only problem I had was I had ordered three items that I already had(I know what you are thinking, but when you have close to 3000 dvd's it's easy to do). I called customer service and got a nice guy named "Joe" who was obviously from another country. Explained to him what happened, and he instantly emailed me a pre-paid shipping label, sent the dvd's back and received a refund to my card about two and a half weeks later. I have always received good customer service when I call. Things do seem to take a lot longer if you email, so I just call and talk to a CS rep. Now...if you have an obsessive compulsive disorder, and you absolutely need to have that DVD in your hand 30 minutes after you hit the submit order button, then DDD is not the store for you. If you want to get someone a very important Christmas gift DVD that will ruin their Christmas if they do not get it that day, and you didn't place the order before September, then DDD is not the store for you. I have saved a lot of money using DDD, and I know that good things come to those willing to wait.
Old 01-03-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eviljim
Is nothing to do with DD making mistakes, it's how they're handling it. Amazon has screwed up my orders in the past but I still love amazon because they're always awesome at fixing their mistakes. (On the other hand, Overstock treated me worse than DDD).
DDD > Amazon > Dell

(In my mind)
Old 01-03-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by litza
There's WAY more than 10-15 "complainers" here. And thank you for pointing out the reason why companies like DeepDiscount get away with lousy service. Every time someone has a legitimate complaint (and we're looking at 25+ pages of them right here),
I'll repeat- the vast majority of the posts in these 25 pages are NOT complaints, and many of the complaints are just repeats by the same 10 or 15 people.
there's always someone who will stand up and make apologies/explainations for them. "I never had problems with them, so they must be OK" is the unstated logic.
Ummm... It's called balance. If there were nothing but complaints, then people might completely skip DDD. Just as you have the right to complain, others have the right to praise. Don't like it? Tough titty said the kitty.

The bottom line is that companies like DeepDiscount obviously don't care about their customers. I've experienced it, and so have many others. DDD is banking on the fact that its in their best financial interests to do nothing and lose a few customers, than to channel their resources into fixing whatever they did to seriously mess up their company.
Again, the preponderance of evidence does not support your claim. Of the thousands and thousands of orders made here, I'd say they are close to 100% accuracy, and that is quite a feat especially with the unpredictable USPS this time of year.

Forums like this are valuable to allow those who have experienced bad service from DDD to warn others of the same. Thanks to all of the warnings, I never ordered from DVD-Soon here. And I'm glad for the head's up. Without people complaining and telling of their experiences, these companies would continue providing poor service. Now, when the next "20% Off Sale" comes along and the amount of orders takes a nosedive, that will send them a clear single.
Again, balance. There is a small percentage of orders that have gone south. If you think your rants are going to make their sales nosedive, you are delusional.

You don't like it? Then why are you hear reading it? What possible interest could you have in the after-sales talk regarding Deep Discount? And how would you know that "by a wide margin Deep Discount satisified their customers?" Have ANY factual basis to make that statement?
Right back atcha. Why do you continue to grind the axe? My factual data comes in the form of the three during sale threads where people posted their orders. Thousands of them. If DDD were run by Satan as you profess, their name would be mud here. But I would say that most every bargain hunting DVD buyer that has appropriate expectations would definitely use DDD again. You are the minority, the vocal minority, but the minority none the less. That is why it is important to call you on your shenanigans, lest a new user sees your rantings and bypasses what would in 99% of the time be a smooth easy transaction.

If you are having such trouble reading this thread, don't read it again. Sheesh.
I have no trouble reading complaints, and you see I offer suggestions to try to help people having trouble. What I DO have a problem with is someone makeing the hyperbole that every comment in this thread is a complaint and projecting their bad experience onto the thousands of others that have had nothing but good experiences with DDD.

I'd say that DDD is just as reliable, if not more reliable, than Amazon or any other e-tailer.
Old 01-03-06, 10:33 AM

Let me just say that I had no problems once again with DDD during this latest sale, on a bunch of orders. And not only that, but I recently opened up my copy of Brazil Criterion ordered over a year ago from DDD in one of their prior sales, and disc 1 was missing from its case. Obviously not DDD's fault, but the manufacturers fault. But even though this was ordered so long ago from DDD, they sent out a brand new replacement. That's pretty darn good customer service if you ask me.

Who else would do that--Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.? Not a chance.
Old 01-03-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

made a poll for shits and giggles...I'm sure most of the people who have had problems will vote, and results will be skewed because it's been so long since the sale, and people who have had no problems will not be checking here to vote, but just for the hell of it, I added one..I guess it could be good to see how many people really have issues..but whatever...

feel free to give me more suggestions on poll options, but that's all I could come up with at the moment..
Old 01-04-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
DDD has never let me down. Sure their shipping is slowboat, but the price is right. I have had more problems this year with Geeks and Amazon than I ever had with DDD, but every company has problems. They fix them eventually or the bottom line suffers. I voted
Old 01-04-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never had a problem with DDD at all. The only problems I've had have been with USPS and their uber-slow media mail and a couple of lost packages over the years. Out of the hundred or so orders I've placed, two of them have been lost.

All I've had to do is call CS after their required number of days (3 weeks on media mail, I believe) and let them know I still hadn't received it. They then would send out another order and upgrade it to priority mail at no charge. Most of my orders throughout the year are for only one title, so that may make a difference.

I use DDD as my primary R1 e-tailer, and will continue to do so until I find a better company with a better price. I don't think that'll come around for a long time, if ever.
Old 01-04-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Their shipping sucks, even when you pay extra for it. But I always eventually get my items and their 20% off sales are hard to beat. No problems with their phone CSR's which were always helpful to me.
Old 01-05-06, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So there were a few other posts regarding Arrested Development Season 2 not coming with the orange slipcover...is it safe to assume if I returned this and asked for another copy that the second one would have the cover, or for some reason is there stock without the slipcovers? Ive already requested a return and new copy, but I have a feeling Ill just get another without the cover.
Old 01-05-06, 05:12 AM

Wow am I worried.
An order of mine shipped in LATE NOVEMBER and has yet to arrive.

I've e-mailed DDD twice, and have yet to receive a reply. I didn't want to call them, as I've red about their very unhelpful customer service.

Now their site seems to be down.

Any advice? Should I call them?
Old 01-05-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG - I haven't looked at this thread for a while ... and the SAME few people are still bitching and moaning.

My personal sale recap: placed several orders, for box sets as well as individual titles. All received within three weeks (icluding a few "backordered" items). No damaged packaging, no defective DVDs. Correct amount charged to my credit card for all purchases. It doesn't get easier, cheaper, or better than that.

Last edited by marty888; 01-05-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 11:29 AM

Anyone able to log into the site? I enter name/password but it keeps coming back to log in screen?!
Old 01-06-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NobleRabbit
Wow am I worried.

I've e-mailed DDD twice, and have yet to receive a reply. I didn't want to call them, as I've red about their very unhelpful customer service.

Absolutely call them. General advice: Whenever dealing with any customer service, write down the person's name and the time of your call and take notes. Be persistent and friendly, your problem is not the direct fault of the person answering the phone. Their job is to try and help you.
Old 01-06-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I initially had a bad experience with their CSR but everything eventually worked out. I was able to re-submit a 20% OFF order (backordered & original payment method, BML, had been declined) 3 weeks after the sale ended.
Old 01-06-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anybody else order swamp thing during the 20% off sale? its the one item i'm still waiting on. emailed them about it here's the response:

Thank you for contacting DeepDiscountDVD.com!

Order# xxxxxxxxxxx

Our records indicate that the following item(s) is out of stock:

DVD : SWAMP THING till 01/21

Our expected date of arrival is listed next to each title.

We apologize for this delay and will ship this item as soon as it arrives into stock.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

i never realized that swamp thing was such an obscure title lol. even if they cancel swamp thing on me, deep discount is my favorite online seller especially during their "big sales" they have saved me lots of $$$ over the years and i will continue to give them my business.
Old 01-06-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NobleRabbit
Wow am I worried.

Yes, you should call them.
Old 01-06-06, 05:38 PM

I never said that 99 percent of their orders don't go off without a hitch. Mine didn't and then they were extremely difficult about rectifying the problem. I finally got my refund back and then they go and give me the wrong amount back (less of course) so now i have to spend time on the phone again talking with India with someone who doesn't have a clue. I called them 4 days ago said the proper amount would be refunded in two days and guess what - no refund. I know have to call them again (the 9th oth 10th time) and explain to "roger" or "jane" the same story all over again and waste another 30 minutes of my time to get 16 bucks back.

The issue is not that there was a problem but how they went about fixing it. Personally, I will never deal with them again. You can make up your own mind and do what you want but I really hope you never have a problem with your order and then have to jump through hoops like i have.

Oh and I don't have a spam filter that has been dumping my messages. They haven't responded to my emails. Now it is more like 9 times in the last month and no respones. I have tried from both my normal account and a hotmail account. They are shite when it comes to customer service. Just because your order was perfect doesn't mean their CS ain't crap. When it is something out of the ordinary the indian call centre can't handle it and you get screwed around.
Old 01-06-06, 05:44 PM

Also, i should say that I am not in the US. I am in canada. so the problems have been made worse by that. They have no process in place to deal with returns from Canada. You have to pay your own shipping back and then they reimburse you. They should not be shipping international if they have nothing in place to deal with problems when they happen outside of the US.

On top of that I now have to try and get the custom fees I paid back from the government. Not DDD's problem but again more crap I have to deal with. I learned my lesson and won't be doing it again.
Old 01-08-06, 12:35 AM

Well, they finally e-mailed me back, and asked me what items hadn't shipped and to confirm my shipping address, so it seems like it will get worked out soon.

Just for the record, I'm from Canada, which seems to be where most of the issues are arising.

It's times like these that I'm glad I have an almost infinite patience! It also helps that I haven't even had time to get through the other four orders that I've received from them!

Weighing the stellar service I've received in the past, and the prices during the 20% off sale with the fairly sub-par way they've dealt with my issue...

I'll very likely still deal with them in the future, the prices are just too good with the exchange rate and the shipping costs.

Last edited by NobleRabbit; 01-08-06 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 10:10 AM

I still have a few orders from the Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale I have not received from them and Digital Eyes both. More are from DDD than Digital Eyes. It has been close to a month since they supposedly shipped, I think they are having a problem with their shipping center showing that orders have shipped when they really have not. I have called and spoke to Digital Eyes and they assure me they are taking care of it, but I still need to talk to DDD in person and not the CS dept that are clueless on about everything. It is about $650 bucks worth of stuff that shipped. I paid for shipping expedited from DDD but this is for the back ordered items. Getting a little scared.
Old 01-31-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Any rumblings on when then 1st bi-annual 20% off sale is going to happen in 2006? I've been loading up my wish list since the last one. Thank you DDDVD!
Old 01-31-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Any rumblings on when then 1st bi-annual 20% off sale is going to happen in 2006? I've been loading up my wish list since the last one. Thank you DDDVD!
If past experience is any indication, they usually happen in June and November. The exact weeks usually vary, depending on what the big releases are around that time. They tend to have the sales on a "slow" week, so to speak.