Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

First Order From DDD

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

First Order From DDD

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 05:21 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Order From DDD

Like everyone I am excited about the potential for the DDD sale this year, but I have a few questions based on ordering in general. First off, I basically got a credit card especially for this sale. I just got it (this will be my first purchase on it) and will be placing about a $450 order when/if the sale does come in. But, I saw last year a lot of orders were cancelled because of credit card companies thinking the card was stolen and thus people couldn't take advantage of the sale.

So, is it in my best interest to maybe call my credit card company to say that there'll be a $450 order coming in from Deep Discount DVD? Or is this not relevant? I was just browsing through old threads and it got me nervous. Thanks.
Old 11-09-05, 07:58 AM

It wouldn't hurt to give them the heads up so they don't "flag" one of your first purchases as a pretty big one from an online site.
Old 11-09-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yep it would be a good idea. otherwise, if it gets declined you're gonna have to re-add everything to your cart the 2nd time it has to go through.
Old 11-09-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the card is declined, canceling the order, you can call DDD and have them re-do the order with the correct prices, so you shouldn't have to put everything in your cart again.
Old 11-09-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Welcome to the world of consumer debt.
Old 11-18-05, 04:04 AM
Suspended

I was just wondering what's the pettiest detail anyone's ever had their order denied for from DDD or anywhere I suppose. My first two orders were cancelled for apparantly no reason, so I called the CS and they basically had no clue why it was denied. Then I get an e-mail saying it was because they couldn't verify my billing address. Of course, I had already re-placed my order when I got the e-mail. Looking over my billing info, I couldn't find a damn thing different, then I realized that after my middle initial, I put "A." instead of simply "A". Now, this seems quite radical to not let a purchase go through... I mean it IS the exact same thing. But has this ever happened to anyone else? I suppose if it has I should phone DDD tomorrow and tell them before they wait 5 days to cancel this order and I have no chance to order from the sale at all.
Old 11-18-05, 07:38 AM

Actually, that's the kind of stuff that will trip up a computer. When they say
"The name as listed on your card," they mean it.
Old 11-21-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same thing happened to me once when I put the period after my middle initial (the credit card didnt have it on it).
Old 11-21-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by old-boo-radley
Like everyone I am excited about the potential for the DDD sale this year, but I have a few questions based on ordering in general. First off, I basically got a credit card especially for this sale. I just got it (this will be my first purchase on it) and will be placing about a $450 order when/if the sale does come in. But, I saw last year a lot of orders were cancelled because of credit card companies thinking the card was stolen and thus people couldn't take advantage of the sale.

So, is it in my best interest to maybe call my credit card company to say that there'll be a $450 order coming in from Deep Discount DVD? Or is this not relevant? I was just browsing through old threads and it got me nervous. Thanks.
A side question...Were peoples orders actually cancelled for that reason? A few hundred dollars spent at an online store is hardly reason for most CC companies to raise red flags and refuse the charges. I've spent more than that online and my CC company (and actually a credit card company!) never said a word.

So I guess if these people had problems with their bank cards that are debit cards but have the Visa or Master Card logo on them, and can be used as credit cards? Many banks have a daily limit on those cards ($500.00 is average) so if somebody ordered close to that and had some other transactions pending on there, it's entirely conceivable that the charges would not go through and DDDVD would have no choice but to cancel the order.
'

BTW, this happened to me a couple sales ago. Now I just spread my orders out over a number of days during the course of the sale instead of ordering all at once to avoid that happening. Or you can go to your bank and ask your limit to be raised.

Last edited by calhoun07; 11-21-05 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 04:41 AM
Suspended

And it goes with this that I've been now waiting for my order 26 days since shipment. Is there anyone out there from Canada that's had an order take this long? I've got my backordered stuff from Dec. 1 and 7 days ago!

I know in 2004 there was in uproar in regards to customs, but hadn't heard anything of it this year and had thought they straightened out the matter.

Basically, I'm just wonder when I should start getting really worried about not receiving anything and try to figure out what to do if this is the case.
Old 12-22-05, 10:30 AM
Banned

I can't understand why everybody like to shop at DDD anyway, because based on the many negative feedbacks on their service from other numerous forum members, I would not be able to trust them. Before contemplating patronage with them presently or in the future, do research, and check their rating scores, which are available on the internet.

Before I make any purchases online, my first priority always is to do a research task on that particular online store, then based on the positive, or negative information that I've located, I make my final decision on whether to do business with that merchant not. Just because certain online stores have low prices, does not mean that their overall services are recommended, and reputable.
Old 12-22-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts
The only negatives come during the big sales. Other than that their track record is great.

I just received my last dvd from the november sale the other day. I'm not in Canada though.
Old 12-22-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I can't understand why everybody like to shop at DDD anyway, because based on the many negative feedbacks on their service from other numerous forum members, I would not be able to trust them. Before contemplating patronage with them presently or in the future, do research, and check their rating scores, which are available on the internet.

Before I make any purchases online, my first priority always is to do a research task on that particular online store, then based on the positive, or negative information that I've located, I make my final decision on whether to do business with that merchant not. Just because certain online stores have low prices, does not mean that their overall services are recommended, and reputable.
I've spent close to $2000 with them over the past couple of years and I had two shipments that were incorrect: One had a product missing, the other had a product damaged. The missing product I got about a week later after contacting them, and the damaged product was returned and replaced.

Remember, the entire store forum is set up just to have people complain. If you think DDD is bad, try looking into dvdsoon.com...
Old 12-22-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've spent over $2,000 at DDD over the course of the last few years, and have never had a problem.. I've never had to return an item. I've never had a lost shipment. I think most of the problems people have is during the big sales, and people who order internationally. They get so many orders in, mistakes are bound to happen. Inbetween the big sales, there's usually no threads in the store forum about DDD...
Old 12-22-05, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Well I got my shipment today! I was pumped. 445 bucks worth, all arrived, 1 broken keepcase pushy thingy (thing that holds the DVD in) but the disc was still lodged in it. So I am very happy. It was customs that opened it up, not DDD's fault. I'll be back for the next sale for sure.
Old 12-22-05, 08:55 PM

you're kind of wrong

DDD is like every other business. How many people have had problems with CS @ best buy, Zales, Circuit City, etc etc. There is only one reason to buy something from online, that is when they are not filling orders properly or have below 50% feedback. Go to eoptinions.com http://www1.shopping.com/xMR-deep+di...MRD-300096~S-1

They are not all that bad, problems alway hapen.
Old 12-23-05, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please do tell us which online stores you do shop at since I can't really think of any online stores that haven't had any complaints. And while people have complain about DDD's service, I don't think that I've seen anyone mention that they're disreputable.